Fake bread for chubbing?

Steve Walker

If bread is in the right condition, very fresh for flake and a bit stale for crust I don't have any trouble keeping it on the hook - so no, I've not tried the fake stuff.

Flake is a bait that you need great confidence in to use successfully in running water, if it's still on the hook when you retrieve, it was probably squeezed on too hard - so, you don't know how long it's on there for, that's where the confidence comes in - if in doubt use crust - I pin it down with a shot about an inch from the hook.

I did have a problem one evening a few years ago, my bread had been working fine but got a bit strange into the evening: once I realised that it was stiff cos it was actually freezing I stuffed the loaf inside my one-piece suit and normality returned - I hadn't even realised it was cold.

Be careful of copyright rules steve you can`t be to carefull with this fake stuff

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I used to use cubes of foam for float fishing for chub. Just hook one on, and dunk into a suitable flavour, if needed. I sometimes caught without the flavour, especially in fast water. A few freebies of the real stuff, bread, cheese paste, condensed milk paste, custard paste, or whatever, then follow up with foam. Foam colour to match the bait obviously.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I've never tried it, but I would imagine that magic bread stuff should work ok. Probably not the plastic stuff. The way chub feed means the 'anything bouyant' principle that works so well with suction feeders is going to be less successful. You need something they want to actually eat or they'll pick it up and reject it.

You'd have to hook it in a way that didn't get in the way when striking/playing fish, as it would be a permanent fixture.

Really fresh white sliced bread stays on fine if squeezed on correctly. Once bread starts to dry out (even a little bit) getting it to stay on becomes an issue. When you start to reel in you normally feel the weight of the bait and then a drop in resistance as it falls off as you reel, so you know it was on ok.

• Like 1

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Flake is my go-to winter chub bait, but if the fake stuff works it would be nice to be absolutely certain that it's still on.

I've tried the strawberry stuff but only because that's all the shop had. I just wanted to try its durability for totting and it stayed on very well even after a few retrieves. I don't have much confidence in flavoured bread so wasn't surprised that I didn't catch on it. In my head the white variety would be better.

Where it would score for me is knowing that the hookbait still had some flakiness to it after a few knocks and taps. I've found chub to be very good at nicking the flakey bit of real bread without taking in the hook, they seem to lose interest once they done that. Magic bread stays together much better so it would be difficult to eat the flake without the hook.

• Like 1

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I've caught on the stuff.....in fast water swims, but have not found it very successful in slower water sections. I've put this down to fish being able to have a better look at the bait and then leaving it alone. Kind of ties in with the fact that I have never caught anything on it when lake fishing?

P.

• Like 1