just came across some very good news for the Kennet

viney

Got to be good news. Trouble is, with the building of new housing in the Swindon catchment, how long will it be before Thames Water have to increase the flow from the Kennet again. The rivers Misbourne, Chess and ultimately the Colne in my area have all suffered, despite promises of reduced abstraction.

One of the response quotes - "It will provide protection for one of England’s best loved chalk streams, and we look forward to seeing a healthier river from 2016.”

Do you agree with this?

Perhaps it is the realist side of me kicking in, but I see this as being done in advance of all the new homes being built in the area supplied by the Kennet....which will lead to increased abstraction.

So whilst it may mean a reduction in the amount of extracted water not going back into the Kennet, I don't see it as a long term reduction in actual abstraction from the river in the first instance.