Canada Carp

Blake

We were out catching a bunch of smallmouth bass on the weekend and then my dad said hey I got a huge on on. We were fishing a rock point with Phenix plastic tubes. It pulled drag off my Shimano Stradic for a while and we chased the fish in the boat for a little ways till he caught this.

100_0110a-1.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That must have been great fun on light tackle Blake and well done to your dad.

Zaphod - it is indeed one way to hold a fish for a photo. UK technique is not universal.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sure is THE WRONG WAY :(

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Blake - sorry you have run into the carp police and please don't let it drive you away.

If you fail to use the proper style of net, the proper unhooking mat (nope, boat carpet won't do), and hold the fish in exactly the prescribed manner for photos, you will take some flack.

Never mind that carp in your area will be caught maybe once if at all. Never mind that a particular grip (as in the photo) on a carp of that light weight is almost certainly harmless. Never mind that almost all the carp taken from that lake will be turned into cat food but that you plan to release that one unharmed.

The fact that UK fresh waters are so heavily fished that their carp (and most other species) are captured many, many times and any handling issues that can potentially cause the least tiny bit of damage need to be avoided has made the UK coarse anglers pretty fanatical about fish handling. For UK waters, the attitude makes sense. Maybe, maybe the same attitude would make some sense on the sections of the St. Lawrence that are carp fished regularly. Maybe.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I doubt that the fish that come out of the St Lawrence have ever seen a bait before even though some spots are fished fairly regular, there has to be tens of thousands of carp around based on the amount that are caught. Just a thought.....

Hello Blake,

First of all i would wish to apologize for my Curt and short remark made yesterday with regard to the handling of your fish.Upon reflection i should have explained in more detail what was meant a little like Newt has done.

Please accept my apology in the spirit that is offered and i look forward to seeing many more of your interesting posts.

Regards,

Richard.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

That must have been great fun on light tackle Blake and well done to your dad.

Zaphod - it is indeed one way to hold a fish for a photo. UK technique is not universal.

Fish welfare aside, this way does not exactly show the fish in all its glory..!! :thumbs:

Best Fishes

Zaph'

--------------

http://www.tenchfishers.net

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

Hi Blake,

What tackle was your dad using, Carp of that size can be highly entertaining on light tackle. I took my daughter fishing last year for small stuff when she hooked a similar size fish. Luckily there were no snags in the pond we were fishing in and we finally landed this one…

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/Jigotai/P1010172.jpg

Andy

I doubt that the fish that come out of the St Lawrence have ever seen a bait before even though some spots are fished fairly regular, there has to be tens of thousands of carp around based on the amount that are caught. Just a thought.....

Here's another fish from Canada but this one caught on a fly. I realize guys are gonna have hairy over the use of the Bogagrip but carp here are non-native and in this water are considered a nuisance. We've started targeting them with fly rods as they're great summer fare when the water is too hot for trout. There are thousands of naturally reproducing common carp in this bay and most of them are angling "virgins". Carp heaven for the UK angler.

We're starting to see the imp0rtation of UK carp gear and there's even been a TV program on the subject, but stalking them with a fly rod is a hoot. That fish took about 20 minutes on an 8 wt. to land. We were using a weighted fly that looked a bit like a tadpole. This fish maxed out the 30 lb. scale on the Bogagrip. My buddy landed a 25 pounder at the same time on the same fly.

I've registered on this board to learn a bit more about the species so i can get a bit more understanding of their behaviour. They eat bugs like a trout so why not, eh?

post-9736-1152393761_thumb.jpg