colvic seaworker 22

wizards_cuff

Hi everyone.im new to this site . i was wondering if anyone could give me any information regarding a colvic seaworker 22.i find its impossible to research this craft on the internet.i can only find ones that are for sale.i was wondering about certain specifications on them .engines?,why do some have enclosed wheelhouses?why does each craft ive seen have different bow portholes .and any other info etc.i am looking to purchase one of these boats in the not to distant future and would like as much info on them as possible before i take the plunge ...regards Andy

I thought Colvic made Yachts?? Or is it just me?

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Colvic who were (I think ) based on the Essex coast, made kit boats. You could buy just a hull or a complete kit. That meant that there was a high degree of customising, thats why some have this and some have that. The Seaworkers were nice solid boats, not very attractive to look at since the 22 had raised bows to improve headroom below. Just remember that when looking to buy one, whilst a lot of small boatyards built them for sale, there's a good chance that your boat might have been built in someones backyard.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

thanks argyll.i am gratefull for your info.the reason i am looking at colvic seaworkers is ive been told that they were a very good sea boat,but i did not realise that they were kit boats.no wonder i cant find out much about them ..how would i be able to tell if its been built in somebodys back yard ? would a survey on the boat tell me or should there be paperwork stating when and where built.could you recommend any similar boats that i should be looking at also.i am currently doing a correspondance day skippers course with a view to getting back into sea angling via my own craft after a break of ten years carp angling.kind regards Andy...

A survey will indicate whether the boat is good, bad or otherwise and a survey is a must. Its likely that some history will come with the vessel. I wouldn't get too concerned about the origin.The condition and survey report will tell you all you need to know, a lot of those kit builds were very well made. The hulls as I remember were superstrong and whilst I thought they were ugly, they looked like dry boats. I used to see a few around the Thames estuary working as cockle boats, so they must have had something going for them. They were heavy boats for their size and I dont recall any similar alternative boats.

[ 21. June 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Colvic made a number of workboats/fishing boats, the IP23 was produced in the hundreds by Colvic and others. Seaworkers are not fast boats but seaworthy enough for a 22 footer. Economical too, with a 80hp diesel. There's one for sale called Basas Hunter in Southsea Marina for £15,000. A survey by a proper surveyor or a good boatbuilder will tell you if its a lash-up or a good job. You could buy them in various stages, most DIYers would buy them as a hull/deck/cabin moulding with sterngear fitted, so the rest would have been within DIY capabilities. I have come accross some DIY boats where non-marine fittings have been used, and its pretty obvious if stuff has come from B&Q. Two things to watch - as these are now old boats they will almost certainly have some form of osmosis, which is treatable at a price. Also the engine may be a marinised vehicle engine which will be cheap but not as rugged or rustproof as a true marine engine. If its tatty but sound you could get one at a good price and do it up yourself. Plenty of fishing room, probably does up to 12 knots, doesn't drink much. Bit old fashioned looking but I quite like them. Hope that helps.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

andyconwy:

cheers guys,info much appreciated.

If you want to look at similar boats, what price bracket, size, speed, inboard/outboard, petrol/diesel? I've been through the selection process a few times maybe I can help.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

thanks salar.im looking for something in the region of upto 12k.length no bigger than 36ft/no smaller than 22ft,ideally about 26-28ft.must be inboard,diesel with enclosed wheelhouse.im not bothered about speed as long as it will take a fairly heavy sea.regards Andy.....