What is your best bait for Tench ?

James Pos

Can any of you tell me what is your best bait for Tench? I want to catch some tench on this pit that can get very weeded over in summer can someone help? I have never fished for tench on there yet.:help:

Regards James

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year, I've caught more on worm than anything else. I think overall I've probably caught most tench on corn. I've also caught plenty on bunches of maggots, luncheon meat and bread.

Black pudding and cockles (in that order)...

C.

(see pic in my profile - caught on Black Pudding...)

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Sweetcorn, Cockles and trout pellet paste for me

I've tried Chris's blacj pudding suggestion a couple of times now, and had no luck, although to be fair I had no luck on corn or pellets either in the same sessions

My PB tench (in my avatar <-------) was taken on a single grain of corn on a size 16 hook fished next to some lillypads

I had some good results a couple of season ago making a paste out of high oil trout pellets, I poured some boiling water over some 3mm pellets, left them to soften and cool, then added an egg and kneeded to a paste, fishing a lump of this over a bed of the 3mm pellets worked quite well! sadly bream and carp liked it just as much!

Mat

Mat

Does anyone get the opportunity to "rake" their swims before tench fishing. It used to be a lot easier when we had the old closed season....you could go down to the pond and rake your chosen swim for several days before the 16th then pitch up over night and start fishing just as it starts getting light.

Had some superb results like that especially with a bit of pre-baiting but it's not easy to do now that the waters are open all year.

Andy