no license needed on private pool?

flank0

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds as if your mate hasn't got a rod licence, so next time he goes to this pool, why not call the EA and put it to the test?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

OK chaps - in full agreement with the above - our recommendation to all customers in the shop is they must (or should) have a license in order to fish any inland water private or otherwise....

HOWEVER...interesting questions..

When does an estuary become a river - salt water estuaries are free in my understanding to fish - or if they are not there are certainly a lot of places which claim they are. When does it become a river precisely, and when do you start requiring a license (it always seems a bit muddled that one).

Secondly - some lakes can have general licenses from what I understand - see the page below. I think newbarn farm near paignton has such a license since they claim on their site no national rod licence is required.

http://www.gethooked.co.uk/ea_text/ea_text.html

So it's not always black and white - and again - I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times that the EA just don't do enough to educate anglers, don't do enough to enforce licensing and it's about time fishing was removed from their remit and passed to a proper 'fisheries' body governing freshwater and sea angling.

Ian W

The guy was talking about a private pool not the vaguearies of when does the sea become the river. That is however well documented and covered on the EA website.

I too believe there are very rare examples of lakes that have coverall permits but you can count them on the fingers of one hand. The water owner effectively buys a licence for the anglers - hence why it's so rare.

So the simple answer is as stated before, you always need a rod licence.

Rob.

stunned to see them checking licencies at my local pond today ,first time i have seen them since '69 ,looked like the same chap too but far older :D

one chap got caught :rolleyes: as a bailiff i dont check them but not having one could be stopped if they had to produce one on buying a permit but i suspect a little too easy for those that make the rules :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

stunned to see them checking licencies at my local pond today ,first time i have seen them since '69 ,looked like the same chap too but far older :D

one chap got caught :rolleyes: as a bailiff i dont check them but not having one could be stopped if they had to produce one on buying a permit but i suspect a little too easy for those that make the rules :rolleyes:

Nothing stopping you as a bailiff asking to see them as well.

Rob.

Sorry Rob - just making the point it isn't always clear cut as to when a license is and isn't required - although I accept you'd always need a license to fish your own (or someone elses) private pond. As a fishing shop owner with people who walk into our shop I'd never heard of a 'general pond license' until late last year and if anyone had asked me about such things (i.e. if they were going on holiday) I'd probably have said no such thing existed. I believe they are more common in holiday areas and tuition type venues.

Of course Chesters you could ask, but I often forget my license so I'd be sent packing (a paying customer) - it's not strictly right I know, and I should always carry it, but all EA bailiffs are supposed to be able to check via a mobile phone now anyway - I have had that done twice (both at the same lake last year) and both times he gave me the nod after 2 mins and said carry on.

Edited by UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk

Ian W

I've never heard of such a licence, either, and will contact the EA next week for clarification. If it is so, then their site really should be amended:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...174139/?lang=_e

Did you know that anyone aged 12 years or over who fishes for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in England and Wales must have an Environment Agency Rod Fishing Licence?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE