no license needed on private pool?

flank0

A Rod Licence is required when fishing for freshwater fish, eels, Salmon or Sea Trout anywhere in England or Wales and out to 6 miles at sea.

Any angler deemed to be fishing for these whether in marine, tidal or freshwater will need to ensure they are licenced for them, whether or not they have caught.

For enforcement, the Agency will consider whether the angler is fishing at a location and with a method liable to catch these species.

If so they will enforce the licence requirement.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So does this mean that if I am about my normal beachcasting, and the local inspector doesn't like the look of me, he can claim that I am fishing for one of the above and charge me with not having a licence ??

The Older I get .. The better I was.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For enforcement, the Agency will consider whether the angler is fishing at a location and with a method liable to catch these species.

What a load of old nonsense that is! Fishing with worms is a well used method for taking salmon. In fact on some of the rain fed rivers up here in the North West it's probablty the most successful method. So all the anglers fishing the Ribble estuary for flounders with lobworm baits are committing an offence? Or those of us fly-fishing for bass, are we really after sea trout? Maybe one day when I'm floatfishing bread for mullet some EA bailiff is going to accuse me of fishing for some strange saltwater chub (At least I have a licence for that one!)

Maybe one day when I'm floatfishing bread for mullet some EA bailiff is going to accuse me of fishing for some strange saltwater chub (At least I have a licence for that one!)

Been there exactly mate! The stretch of the river in question is imediately below the tidal barrier and has no water (well a small trickle of fresh comming out at best in the summer) at all except for a few hours either side of high tide!

The EA employed Lock Keeper nearly died with embarrasment when he was asked to call the police by his "colleague"! Not an "honourey" one either (do they still have them?) but proper job in uniform! in fact the only one Ive ever seen!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Just out of interest Steve, did the EA charge for their serices at your water? My club had an occasion last year when we had problems on one of our waters (enclosed) We received a bill for almost £280-00. They are forever going on about the wonderful free service they offer; :) the first time in over 30 years of different bodies we have called for help and they sting us for the thick end of 300 quid :( = about £1-25 per member, all who willingly pay for their licence/s.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Just out of interest Steve, did the EA charge for their serices at your water?

Nope, no charge whatsoever. This included surveys at different times on all 3 of my pits. However this was over 10 years ago and so the rules may have changed now..

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net