HOW TO SIMPLY IMPROVE YOUR HOOKUP RATE

fishfingers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GB,

Take a trip to Penzance; Newly harbour has a sea wall on the southern side. The rocks at the base of this wall are infested with small Pollock around six inches. The water is crystal clear and with good polarizer’s you can see exactly what’s going on.

Get a 2” eddystone eel, these came fitted with and Aberdeen about size 1. Jig the eel up and down count the number of fish strikes and the number of fish hooked. Try this for fifty strikes at the lure. I got 22 fish. Now take the hook and bend an offset into it and repeat. Hook ups to strikes 30.

Assuming these fish are basically the same and their parents, this is good enough for me.

I would suggest you criticise a little less, be a bit more open-minded, and enjoy the fact that most people, if your polite to them, will tell you what they really think. You may learn a lot more. As a ‘real man’ you can then quietly decide for yourself if you choose to follow advice or not.

I don’t have a monopoly on the truth; if you feel you need to go prove me wrong, then reply with some sensible, reasoned argument for your case, not just a childish empty rebuke with the woolly term ‘bait presentation’ as a foil. I think some people have read to many glossy fish mags.

As for sharks, it’s foolhardy to fish for them with inadequate tackle. If sharks are likely to be present proper precautions should be taken. If its not a joke, then you need you’re a**es kicked. Its not something to be proud of and post on the internet. I don’t care if you decide to kill yourselves on your kayaks but please have some respect for the poor shark.

I’ve seen that macho crap to rock music that some American anglers put out. If you have half a brain, ask yourself were the filming platform is. Invariably it’s a thirty-foot powerboat not a kayak on the open ocean. Are they filming because they want to show how they fish to the interest of others, or because they have deep rooted personal inadequacy?

I thought this was a discussion forum, looks like it’s a self-appreciation society. I doubt now if I will learn anything from this forum as it seem to be populated by the ‘Texting’ generation that have never bothered to learn how to construct arguments and reply openly to alternative views.

I don’t want to be part of your schoolboy cliques.

Unsubscribing, I think I’ll just go fishing you meet nicer people.

WOW!!!!!!And all this from a so called fisherman that thought Bass had teeth :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

You are right.This is a discussion forum.For fishermen ,Not Trolls :bye1::bye1:

Edited by Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

I can assure you gentlemen I'm no troll. It would probably help if I new what one was?

My advise to any junior anglers reading this, is don't listen to this 'pap'.

Join a proper organised sea fishing club; there are plenty all over the country.

These clubs served me well and you will learn a lot more about fishing, life and how to interact sociably.

I warn you some of these guys are faddist, with woolly thinking, they are the techno tackle manufactures fodder.

Learn to fish slowly, and enjoy the processes. You will have a lifetime of memories and many good friends at the end of it.

First things first!

I can assure you gentlemen I'm no troll. It would probably help if I new what one was?

My advise to any junior anglers reading this, is don't listen to this 'pap'.

Join a proper organised sea fishing club; there are plenty all over the country.

These clubs served me well and you will learn a lot more about fishing, life and how to interact sociably.

I warn you some of these guys are faddist, with woolly thinking, they are the techno tackle manufactures fodder.

Learn to fish slowly, and enjoy the processes. You will have a lifetime of memories and many good friends at the end of it.

Yea :yeah: ...Join a club...I been there and done that.Learn how to fish matches and slaughter all size's of fish just for a trophy at the end.

Get no helpfull advice from the older members.They just keep to their own clicky little groups.

And last but not least.....This is the sort of S**t you would have to put up with,as Fishfingers is demonstrating now ......Round 2....seconds out...... :boxing:

zzippy2.gif

GB,

Take a trip to Penzance; Newly harbour has a sea wall on the southern side. The rocks at the base of this wall are infested with small Pollock around six inches. The water is crystal clear and with good polarizer’s you can see exactly what’s going on.

Get a 2” eddystone eel, these came fitted with and Aberdeen about size 1. Jig the eel up and down count the number of fish strikes and the number of fish hooked. Try this for fifty strikes at the lure. I got 22 fish. Now take the hook and bend an offset into it and repeat. Hook ups to strikes 30.

Assuming these fish are basically the same and their parents, this is good enough for me.

I would suggest you criticise a little less, be a bit more open-minded, and enjoy the fact that most people, if your polite to them, will tell you what they really think. You may learn a lot more. As a ‘real man’ you can then quietly decide for yourself if you choose to follow advice or not.

I don’t have a monopoly on the truth; if you feel you need to go prove me wrong, then reply with some sensible, reasoned argument for your case, not just a childish empty rebuke with the woolly term ‘bait presentation’ as a foil. I think some people have read to many glossy fish mags.

As for sharks, it’s foolhardy to fish for them with inadequate tackle. If sharks are likely to be present proper precautions should be taken. If its not a joke, then you need you’re a**es kicked. Its not something to be proud of and post on the internet. I don’t care if you decide to kill yourselves on your kayaks but please have some respect for the poor shark.

I’ve seen that macho crap to rock music that some American anglers put out. If you have half a brain, ask yourself were the filming platform is. Invariably it’s a thirty-foot powerboat not a kayak on the open ocean. Are they filming because they want to show how they fish to the interest of others, or because they have deep rooted personal inadequacy?

I thought this was a discussion forum, looks like it’s a self-appreciation society. I doubt now if I will learn anything from this forum as it seem to be populated by the ‘Texting’ generation that have never bothered to learn how to construct arguments and reply openly to alternative views.

I don’t want to be part of your schoolboy cliques.

Unsubscribing, I think I’ll just go fishing you meet nicer people.

Yeah whatever ballbag

By the way if I want to catch tiny pollack from an infested sea wall I will go to my local slipway like I used to do as a child. But if I want to catch large numbers of bass I will go somewhere else and use straight hooks in a redgill.

As for reading glossy mags, I dont read them unless they are left in the doctors waiting room.

And as for conservation, very nice picture on your profile, it really shows how much you respect fish.

Oh! and when was the last time you went kayak fishing? when was the last time you went kayaking? Have you ever seen a kayak?

People like you get my back right up. Go preach to someone who gives a hoot. You subscribe to a forum, put a few over opinionated posts up and then wonder why you get strong responses from regular users.

"As a real man". Now that is a statement to be used with caution. Have you ever met me, if so I dont think you would use such a statement. I am a 6'2" 17stone steel erector/rigger. Have you ever met a steel erector face to face? did you question his manliness? I doubt it very much.

My favourite part of your post "Unsubscribing, I think I’ll just go fishing you meet nicer people" CRACK ON

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Yeah whatever ballbag

By the way if I want to catch tiny pollack from an infested sea wall I will go to my local slipway like I used to do as a child. But if I want to catch large numbers of bass I will go somewhere else and use straight hooks in a redgill.

As for reading glossy mags, I dont read them unless they are left in the doctors waiting room.

And as for conservation, very nice picture on your profile, it really shows how much you respect fish.

Oh! and when was the last time you went kayak fishing? when was the last time you went kayaking? Have you ever seen a kayak?

People like you get my back right up. Go preach to someone who gives a hoot. You subscribe to a forum, put a few over opinionated posts up and then wonder why you get strong responses from regular users.

"As a real man". Now that is a statement to be used with caution. Have you ever met me, if so I dont think you would use such a statement. I am a 6'2" 17stone steel erector/rigger. Have you ever met a steel erector face to face? did you question his manliness? I doubt it very much.

My favourite part of your post "Unsubscribing, I think I’ll just go fishing you meet nicer people" CRACK ON

well said gb !!

GB - on Fishfingers profile that picture is just of a few longfins and dorados - not difficlt to catch at all, if you chum them up you can catch them like we catch mackerel - but obviously a day worthy of note for our "new man"!

I wnder if he uses that sh**e tyger wire for them too. I have a spool that I bought for pike fishing - I have made one trace up from it and gone back to my kevlar - anyone want the rest of the spool (all but about 2' of a new spool) can have it for the taking. It is awful stuff. Don't waste your money - for the same price you can get 300m of Spectron braid (my current trace has had 10+ pike on it and not ready for changing yet - i use 50lb and it doesn't make any difference to me catching, in fact it is so supple that the flies work better with that then any wire type).

HAS HE GONE YET?

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

you don’t accidentally catch blue shark, no 20lb mono will stand up to the first run, and the ‘clincher', you wouldn’t dare to hold your rod with one hand to take that picture on an aircraft carrier let alone a kayak.

Fishfingers.

Of course you can. I know because I have - though not Blues.

Back when I was 18 I worked for three months for my Aunt in South Africa, she had just started a game fishing charter boat business (Sensational, Shelly Beach, Fishing the Protea Reef). Mostly we trolled Rapala CB10 Magnums for Yellowfin Tuna, sometimes drifted for them with pieces of sardine, sometimes bottomfished for Yellowtail or 'Reds' with pieces of sardine etc. Drifting or trolling we used 20lb mono and a 20lb wire trace. Bottom fishing was 50lb mono with 20lb hook lengths.

I had a 350lb Zambezi (Bull) Shark on a Rapala - I posted this in the sea fishing forum:

"Now, this is not a word of a lie, but a few years back, 15 or so, in South Africa (Protea Reef), we hit a shoal of yellowfin tuna, usually around the 15kg mark at that time, and all 6 rods went. We were using Rapala CB10 Magnums on Shimano TLD-15, 20 and 25 reels (this is all from memory so numbers may be slightly out!) and 30lb line and trace, bar one reel loaded with 20lb line and 20lb trace. Well, I picked up that one and all I can say is thank God for lever drags!! All 5 tuna made it into the boat and I still had line running out. In the end we turned the boat and followed until we were above the fish and I started pumping it up to the surface. After an hour we finally got it up. A 350lb (+-) Zambezi (Bull) shark. Presumably it had taken the Rapala by chance while heading for a tuna, and fortunately for me it had got it just in front of the teeth. Damage to the lure was the rear trebble pulling slightly out to one side of the tail of the lure. The particular Rapala was 'chartreuse', that sort of flouro yellow. I still have the lure at home somewhere, and another in my lure box - but never caught another fish on one!!! I guess Waveney pike aren't as hungry as Bull sharks. It was my biggest fish ever, and I still shake my head at the fact that I actually got it up on that tackle - but I did and that's true. And to keep that Mako on for 5 minutes with 10lb line is also quite likely. Path of least resistance and all that - he'd probably have a trace on if chasing the bass (though we often had sharks in SA without wire traces, when they took baits meant for other fish and didn't swallow them straight down, surprising how many were hooked in front of the gnashers)."

I had a 150lb Ragged Tooth (Sand Tiger) while bottom fishing for Yellowtail, without a trace, again it was brought up to the boat. I had a few requiem sharks on mono, to around 100lb, etc. All in I had 5 sharks of which only the Zambezi had any wire on it. These were all hooked eirther in front of or in the teeth themselves, deep hooking would have had the line cut in no time (as has happened to me elsewhere). It was a very common occurrence for us to have sharks brought up to the side purely on mono, and the biggest I saw was an 18ft Tiger (50lb bottom trace with 20lb hook length) which was also the first 'live' shark I saw - this came up around 10ft from the side of the boat and i rapidly sat on the other gunwhale - it was cut off after 5 minutes as it was no good to us.

You can fish specifically for sharks, or you can have one take something it happens to pass while fishing for other things. Personally i couldn't make out anything in that picture but have no reason at all to question the authenticity. I can't, either, understand the hostility towards your two threads as I found both of them to be interesting and worthy of trying out. As a newbie to kayaking I have yet to develop my ideas (have had 4 perch on the troll in two general paddling trips on the river and haven't been out after the bass yet) but certainly I won't be dismissing your advice - and can't see why people are. Just remember that internet writing can come across as agressive when it's not - the same as the telephone.

Oh, while I think of it, the one hand on the rod bit - we'd gaff 20kg Yellowtail or yellowfin Tuna with one hand while holding the rod in the other. I very much doubt a Blue in UK waters will pull like those things. I land pike one handed here too. That's what drag settings are for.

Now, people, all of you, ideas differ and exchange of ideas is what a forum is all about. Can we perhaps have a voice of reason when responding? if you disagree, please disagree politely and discuss rather than argue. Insults should be beneath you.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Ah Man!

That has had me on the floor - You could make a sitcom out of this stuff!

You guys are funny - Fishfingers you had it coming.

I can see him now with his clipboard and abacus on the harbour wall jigging for frickin pollack whilst "interacting sociably" with the nearest Herring Gul

ahhh dear

and "Ballbag" :lol:

iz from North Devon - Prowler 13 - Travel light, keep 'em tight - ooh!

2007 Catches: Sea Trout 3/4 lb,.........

2007 Endeavours: Investigate the estuary

MyFishingKayak.co.uk