underwater explosions in jersey

Not like me to be contensious but I think we could be over reacting here. This is the MOD we are talking about not the US Navy. How it will work is "OK chaps here is the volumn of rock we need to move how much explosive will we need?" Lots of thumbing through tables and calculations will ensue and a figure will be agreed. " Ok as this is a trainng exercise you will be only given 2/3 of the total. This will test and hone your skills."

So anybody expecting a huge bang will be disapointed. The resident wildlife will clear off during the preparation stages and probably return once their previous tower block has been turned into a pile of boulders. Is'nt that what we call a reef. So in the long term it could be good for wildlife, tourism and our lads can go into a pretty dangerous future combat demolition situation with a bit of previous. Trust me "every little helps".

I agree.....and lets face it.are you sure we havent done enough damage to the marine life with all the land fill/ reclaimation site in jersey.Im sure that the explosions will affect the marine life...but only in short term.....whereas the land fill is long term...something to ponder on

Edited by RayJ

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya you guys are right, a little OTT, I just hate em messing with our eco system in any way as i'm sure anyone would and like RayJ says it wont make the impact that our landfills have caused, unless its the start of something else of course...............

As a bonus at least it will atract the numpty "eh up matilda lets go see the Liner" kayakers.

Edited by Prowler

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

I agree.....and lets face it.are you sure we havent done enough damage to the marine life with all the land fill/ reclaimation site in jersey.Im sure that the explosions will affect the marine life...but only in short term.....whereas the land fill is long term...something to ponder on

Are we not messing up the planet enough allready? Yes Jersey has reclaimed land, and land fill only fills holes that have allready filled some one elses pocket when made (pity they dont have to pay for the re filling). But in this modern day if its important and needed their are other ways of doing things.

This site is also close to historic landmarks and delicate structures, what will they say if the wrong thing happens Oops :wallbash:

Also the idea that the local marine life will move :lol: We now have the usual pods of dolphin visiting the island, they are inquisative creatures and dont usually move away.

Bass and other predature fish will hang around the marks on tide circumstance.

Shell fish? never seen a Scallop leg it.

If you dont mind it in Southampton, then you have them, they have enough training in Raleigh and Salsbury plane, to name just 2. :wallbash::bangin:

The only reason is its free....... another cheap excersise.

As far as marine life damage is concerned if they do a small pre blast the local life will clear off (if able to move). There are other methods of scaring away marine life for a short period such as hammering and bubble nets, maybe they will use such a method.

I drive piles for as part of my job with a 200 KJ hammer. We do 4 soft starts over 20 mins before going full hog, mammal watchers are present to ensure the wildlife has cleared off during the soft starts. I have seen shoals of mullet, makerel and bass hanging around the barges and piles and as soon as you give the hammer it's first couple of taps they all scarper imediately and dont return untill the next tide. O.K its not the same as blowing something up but the effects of shock and pressure waves are similar.

The alternative off drilling and spliting the rocks would be a lot more damaging to the local area. It would be very time consuming meaning the use of jackup barges which put holes in the sea bed and also the use of floaters which would need spud legs and many anchors, and a whole lot of diesel run plant and hydrolic machinery which cause pollution. Not to mention a host of people who all create their own pollution if you get my drift.

It is a shame they have to move underwater obstructions, lets just hope they compensate it by making up a few artificial reefs.

Edited by GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hopefully the debris will form a reef of its own accord. Your right about explosions around Southampton we still have many UXBs and Mines that are uncovered regularly so we get plenty of bangs to keep us entertained. About 3 weeks ago a German bomb was destroyed just off Calshot. My advice would be to plan a fishing trip to the area just after the clearance. Probably lots of marine life will move in to scavenge. JUst like they do following dredging operations.

Underwater explosions are much more localised than when land based. The water contains and difuses significant part of the blast wave making the use of less explosives posible underwater. Much more of the force is directed towards the target. Its that principle that allowed Barnes Wallis to devise a bomb that only needed placing against the side of the dam. The water acted as a sand bag wall increasing the effectivness and direction of the blast.

My guess is that the exercise will be non-tactical allowing all the prep work to be done overtly. This will involve drilling and all sorts of wiring and detonator looms to be laid. Probably take atleast a couple of tide cycles. DOlphins will certainly clear off. Drilling etc plays havoc with their sonar, just damn well annoying if your a dolphin, cant sonar a thing.

But the best safeguard is that the MOD hate bad publicity and will do everything possible to minimise the chance of negative PR.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hopefully the debris will form a reef of its own accord. Your right about explosions around Southampton we still have many UXBs and Mines that are uncovered regularly so we get plenty of bangs to keep us entertained. About 3 weeks ago a German bomb was destroyed just off Calshot. My advice would be to plan a fishing trip to the area just after the clearance. Probably lots of marine life will move in to scavenge. JUst like they do following dredging operations.

Underwater explosions are much more localised than when land based. The water contains and difuses significant part of the blast wave making the use of less explosives posible underwater. Much more of the force is directed towards the target. Its that principle that allowed Barnes Wallis to devise a bomb that only needed placing against the side of the dam. The water acted as a sand bag wall increasing the effectivness and direction of the blast.

My guess is that the exercise will be non-tactical allowing all the prep work to be done overtly. This will involve drilling and all sorts of wiring and detonator looms to be laid. Probably take atleast a couple of tide cycles. DOlphins will certainly clear off. Drilling etc plays havoc with their sonar, just damn well annoying if your a dolphin, cant sonar a thing.

But the best safeguard is that the MOD hate bad publicity and will do everything possible to minimise the chance of negative PR.

My thoughts but in greater detail. I doubt the explosions will be much greater than those on UXB's that we get around here anyway.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Its that principle that allowed Barnes Wallis to devise a bomb that only needed placing against the side of the dam. The water acted as a sand bag wall increasing the effectivness and direction of the blast

Barnes wallis develoved the Dam Busting bomb as a weapon against an ememy. And was test droped on the Severn estery at Brean Down. We cannot denie this as i wa sbrought up with this when young. But can we not seee thw rong now?

Are we all blind?

Do we not care?

Yes being born on B/ham i saw and was used to the UXB but FGS its 2006. have we not learnt?

Those who wish to make them seleves blind to the incident thoe being aware are as guilty as those that pulled the trigger. A uxb is an after effect if in doubt try and ask my great grandfather who died at dunkirk.

:wallbash: or should we just ask israil?

Its that principle that allowed Barnes Wallis to devise a bomb that only needed placing against the side of the dam. The water acted as a sand bag wall increasing the effectivness and direction of the blast

Barnes wallis develoved the Dam Busting bomb as a weapon against an ememy. And was test droped on the Severn estery at Brean Down. We cannot denie this as i wa sbrought up with this when young. But can we not seee thw rong now?

Are we all blind?

Do we not care?

Yes being born on B/ham i saw and was used to the UXB but FGS its 2006. have we not learnt?

Those who wish to make them seleves blind to the incident thoe being aware are as guilty as those that pulled the trigger. A uxb is an after effect if in doubt try and ask my great grandfather who died at dunkirk.

:wallbash: or should we just ask israil?

Wow, you want to tell the Landlord at your local to stop serving you that much ale ;)

The big bang is at 11am this morning, gentlemen get your landing nets ready.

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Not like me to be contensious but I think we could be over reacting here. This is the MOD we are talking about not the US Navy. How it will work is "OK chaps here is the volumn of rock we need to move how much explosive will we need?" Lots of thumbing through tables and calculations will ensue and a figure will be agreed. " Ok as this is a trainng exercise you will be only given 2/3 of the total. This will test and hone your skills."

So anybody expecting a huge bang will be disapointed. The resident wildlife will clear off during the preparation stages and probably return once their previous tower block has been turned into a pile of boulders. Is'nt that what we call a reef. So in the long term it could be good for wildlife, tourism and our lads can go into a pretty dangerous future combat demolition situation with a bit of previous. Trust me "every little helps".

Excuse me!!! I work for the MoD and NO WAY would we EVER put that much planning into it ha ha! :lol:

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

They should leave the bloody place alone, they have ruined mainland UK enough why can't they be happy with that :(