Lizard Peninsula

paintfly

Agree Spanner. Im a conservationist but there is nothing wrong with taking the odd fish. It is perfectly natural, it feeds the essential preditor/prey relationship that fuels nature and evolution. A relationship we use to help catch them in the first place (Lures etc.). It all becomes wrong when one for the pot turns into exploitation. I am also assuming that the fish were legal.

I have fished with Paintfly on a number of occasions and I have watched him put fish back. I wasn't there but he certainly has never come across as a butcher.

One of the our strongest arguments against fishing being labled a blood sport is that rod and line is the most humane and targeted way to catch this food source with minimum impact to the enviroment. Difficult to argue against feeding the family. So although I put back as much as possible, I even shake mackies off of hooks if I dont need them for bait, I am happy for people to take some home. I think they could be the ones that provide the excuse that will allow this sport to stand and survive the PC brigade.

For the record I have taken one fish this year. That was because to release it would have run the risk of it being caught in a Gill Net that had just been laid across the front of me.

Please wait while I just climb of my soap box. :P

Spot on DS :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not averse to taking the odd one for the pot my own pot not comercially ,and i see nothing wrong with that .so attacking paintfly is uncalled for ,.

in fact in my case at the moment with my catch rate from the yak at zero ,the fish have nothing to worry about

:(

but when i do start catching most will return ,so a fresh fish now and again for my own consumption i feel is ok .

having watched films of comercial fishing and the thousands that are taken in one go regardless of size or species we have a long way to go before taking the odd fish is a threat .if i do want a fish it is dispatched quickly .

i rarely fish for trout now because there was no catch and release ,used to get sick of eating them and so did my friends ,seemed a awfull waste . so i will most of the time return fish .

:)

Edited by jerseytrev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

In Barramundi's defence he is a guide, he makes his living from guiding, his guiding is strictly catch and release and says so on his website; in hindsight he should have mentioned this to Paintfly before he took him fishing, but then again when you go into somebodies house you don't pinch an apple from the bowl without asking first.

Personally I only kill the odd mackeral for bait, love the taste but sadly allurgic to it. What I do love are bass, not to eat, but to fish for, everyone's dream is to catch that double figure bass and without more people catching, releasing and supporting organisations such as BASS for most of us it will only remain a dream.

Yes I can understand one for the pot, but lets be careful not to destroy the breeding stock.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

In Barramundi's defence he is a guide, he makes his living from guiding, his guiding is strictly catch and release and says so on his website; in hindsight he should have mentioned this to Paintfly before he took him fishing, but then again when you go into somebodies house you don't pinch an apple from the bowl without asking first.

Personally I only kill the odd mackeral for bait, love the taste but sadly allurgic to it. What I do love are bass, not to eat, but to fish for, everyone's dream is to catch that double figure bass and without more people catching, releasing and supporting organisations such as BASS for most of us it will only remain a dream.

Yes I can understand one for the pot, but lets be careful not to destroy the breeding stock.

hi sm i would not compare it to pinching a apple from someones house does he own the sea in that area then ,he may be a guide and i would respect catch and release , but are others barred from fishing the area with a rod . i respect you do not eat fish but a lot of people do . i would rather eat a fish i caught than buy one that had been dragged from the sea with hundreds of its kin in a large net .

ps thanks for the imfo on paddles

Edited by jerseytrev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

hi sm i would not compare it to pinching a apple from someones house does he own the sea in that area then ,he may be a guide and i would respect catch and release , but are others barred from fishing the area with a rod . i respect you do not eat fish but a lot of people do . i would rather eat a fish i caught than buy one that had been dragged from the sea with hundreds of its kin in a large net .

ps thanks for the imfo on paddles

I agree JT, moderation is the key. If catch and release is so important then why fish at all or why not stick to coarse fishing if it is just for the sport. However, anyone wanting to do this fair play to them but no need to preach to other adults who can make their own minds up in life :)

SDD~~~~ :sun:

I agree JT, moderation is the key. If catch and release is so important then why fish at all or why not stick to coarse fishing if it is just for the sport. However, anyone wanting to do this fair play to them but no need to preach to other adults who can make their own minds up in life :)

SDD~~~~ :sun:

just been reading paintfly.s acount seems he put the bass out of their misery , which i agree is the best possible course ,but did not waste them and were eaten not dumped which does happen . i agree that waste is bad ,senseless killing of fish just as a prize ,but if they are for their own cosumption and are of a leagal size what is the problem . if every person in the world did this then there would not be a problem . too many fish are killed for profit just to end up as fertilizer . the old saying was take only what you need and no more .i think this is the right thinking . no offence meant to anyone just my opinion .

:):)

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

This debate as raged forever it seems. The reason is that there is more than one perfectly valid approach. The reassuring thing about the opinions expressed here is that if any of the approaches had been followed by all then this would be an unecessary debate. Stocks would be healthy etc.

The debate of Catch and Release versus "one for the pot" is distracting and misplaced. Both are perfectly sustainable and non exploitative. The real debate is how can we get everyone to practice one or the other.

The answer to that is the big question that no one seems to want to ask and to be perfectly honest the answer is way beyond me.:wallbash:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Jerseytrev,

It's not a case of I don't eat fish, I love them, but my body hates them and rejects them quite violently... :( and no Barra doesn't own that stretch of water, but he showed the mark in good faith, good bass marks are very hard to find, the fish are territorial and if somebody removes the stock then he has to spend time finding another good mark to take his clients, guiding is very much a word of mouth thing and if he can't put people on to bass, then his business will fail quickly.

Enough now, been too much debating on here over the last few days.

Lets go fishing.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I totally respect Barramundi's right to C&R, and he gets my respect for doing so. If he conducts his business that way then great, and as he said, his only 'mistake' was in not making it clear to paintfly before they fished and he showed his mark.

Although I willl take for the pot I would respect somebody elses choice not too. If they showed me a mark they parctice 100% C&R on then I would not take fish from it out of repsect for thier opinion.

I just don't think we should criticise others for not being 100% C&R.

Mind you, taking undersize fish or significant numbers should be highlighted as illegal, damaging to the sport and/or bad practice.

I totally respect Barramundi's right to C&R, and he gets my respect for doing so. If he conducts his business that way then great, and as he said, his only 'mistake' was in not making it clear to paintfly before they fished and he showed his mark.

Although I willl take for the pot I would respect somebody elses choice not too. If they showed me a mark they parctice 100% C&R on then I would not take fish from it out of repsect for thier opinion.

I just don't think we should criticise others for not being 100% C&R.

Mind you, taking undersize fish or significant numbers should be highlighted as illegal, damaging to the sport and/or bad practice.

I think my "catch nothing coz I'm crap" policy is doing wonders for pelagic fish stocks!!! :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

SDD~~ :sun: