Lizard Peninsula

paintfly

No, I do not think that that is fair.

Paintfly said he was intent on going to the Lizard to meet some mates and wanted to know whether there was anyone down there to show him some marks. Barramundi (Austin) was suggested as the best man in those there parts and they arranged to meet, (but initially failed). As far as I can see they met up on the basis that they were both members of this forum. They did not meet up on the basis that Austin was the Guide and Paintfly was the Client or Guest.

Austin subsequently feels that Kevin (Paintfly) overstepped the mark after he had shown him some of his marks when subsequently Kevin went and caught a couple of fish from those marks that he did not return of which the last could not be returned alive. None of us know the basis upon which Kevin and Austin went fishing together but is seems that it was just as a pair of Kayak fishermen from this forum.

If Austin had made clear the basis upon which he was prepared to share his skills and experience, i.e. that 'my policy is catch and release only and I will not go out with you unless you accept this policy' I have no gripes at all with what has been said but that does not appear to be the case. There was an 'expectation' that this was the policy but 'no expression'.

It seems to me that Austin has the same expectations from Paintfly as of his clients but that they are probably treated differently (quite rightly) .

I have also fished with Paintfly and agree with Austins comments that he is a nice guy. I may be wrong but I think that there has been a misunderstanding here. Just because many of us hold the same views here, we cannot expect that we all hold the same values or more importantly in this context are similarly experienced. I am sorry, but sometimes things simply have to be spelled out, (that is what contracts are all about).

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... thanks for that MY. It almost persuaded me to remain true to my word and not post this, but what the hell, I'm sure everyone's enjoying this, and who am I to spoil the fun.

(Big sigh) I did say I wasn’t going make any further comment on this, but as it seems Everett is determined to pillory me on this forum by making inaccurate insinuations as to the nature of the relationship between myself and barramundi, as well as presenting his emotive conjecture as fact - much as I hate to - I feel I need to describe what really happened.

1. I was fishing on my own in the area anyway and was intending to work my way up the coast, taking in launch points that I had picked out myself, as well as others that were recommended by the local tackle shop. One of which, was the one we launched from together. It is a popular family beach and the area we fished is apparently well known for bass by locals and tourists alike. On both days I had tourists approach me for the usual chat about the yak telling me how many they’d had just on the rocks near the beach. Hardly the secret location that Everett tries to conjure up with his journalistic flair. In point of fact, Austen made it quite clear that this was not one of his secret spots. Everett’s imagination seems to have been overly influenced by my tongue in cheek first post on this thread.

2. At the time, I was unaware that Austen worked as a professional guide. If I’d known this, I probably wouldn’t have fished with him, if he’d expected payment. I wouldn’t have considered tipping him any more than I would any of the other yakkers I’ve met up to fish with. The way he made his living only came up after a couple of hours when he asked me what I did. Maybe he was trying to hint at payment and I didn’t see it, but I didn’t get that impression.

3. We probably spent more time apart doing our own thing than fishing together, and I feel the extent of his guiding amounted to two pieces of advice i) to look for and cast into weedy and sandy areas ii) to reel in faster. (However this is not to say that I didn’t appreciate his help, but it wasn’t exactly a master class) Indeed, I headed in a good hour before he did without feeling any need to say I was leaving, although he knew I was concerned about moving my car before they locked the gates of the car park. (And before Everett seizes an opportunity to hector me on having left a man alone to drown, I would add that conditions were extremely benign)

4. The suggestion that one can’t go back to a location, without asking permission of the person(s) one first visited it with, is plainly ludicrous. Nuff said.

5. For the record and to those who do not know me (and that includes you Everett) I do practice and support catch and release, but I reserve the right to take the occasional fish home to eat.

So yeah, you know a lot of stuff, Everett, and I’m impressed, but you have the instincts of a bully, as was evident in your foolish attempt to persuade people on this forum to harass that Welsh gill netter. Totally illegal, incidentally, and more to the point, would have been utterly counter-productive in relinquishing the moral high ground. Fortunately, everyone seemed to show more sense and ignored you. Your determination to pursue a vendetta against me instead, would suggest you see very little difference between him and me. I think you need to get a bit of perspective and calm down.

Edited by paintfly

by eck a topic that will run and run!!!

I stayed with Barra, he showed a couple of his special shore marks - I would not dream of going to any of them on my own if I was staying down that way again - it just isn't done. to me thats a fair point

however whether the criticism of poor old paintfly is just is open to personal interpretation - i do know he barbeques a mean bream :)

Ok Prowler 13

by eck a topic that will run and run!!!

I stayed with Barra, he showed a couple of his special shore marks - I would not dream of going to any of them on my own if I was staying down that way again - it just isn't done. to me thats a fair point

however whether the criticism of poor old paintfly is just is open to personal interpretation - i do know he barbeques a mean bream :)

As good as BBQ'd Spider Crab :yeah: ????

zzippy2.gif

Hmm... thanks for that MY. It almost persuaded me to remain true to my word and not post this, but what the hell, I'm sure everyone's enjoying this, and who am I to spoil the fun.

Sounds to me like you got a whole load of unjust clap-trap form certain types Paintfly! You have got my support mate :)

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

Post deleted....

No point in fuelling this particular fire... :(

Can't believe this thread is still going, bin down to Cornwall for 16 days, was watching this thread thinkin I might of contacted Barrimundi, to help me out with some ideas for marks - saw how it was going and changed my mind!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/mar...es/P8240055.jpg

Yeh put back......the sum bass count.....first bass this year....had it been a bit bigger I might of ate it :P

I was fishing just round the corner, from Porthoustock / Porth Kerris. Caught some monster wrasse, pollack and a couple of conger on the last night. Fuller report (with pics!) http://zebrakayak.proboards81.com/index.cg...read=1156805058

If you're down that way again Paintfly I have some marks in mind - no conditions!! :sun:

Malibu 2

Can't believe this thread is still going, bin down to Cornwall for 16 days, was watching this thread thinkin I might of contacted Barrimundi, to help me out with some ideas for marks - saw how it was going and changed my mind!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/mar...es/P8240055.jpg

Yeh put back......the sum bass count.....first bass this year....had it been a bit bigger I might of ate it :P

I was fishing just round the corner, from Porthoustock / Porth Kerris. Caught some monster wrasse, pollack and a couple of conger on the last night. Fuller report (with pics!) http://zebrakayak.proboards81.com/index.cg...read=1156805058

If you're down that way again Paintfly I have some marks in mind - no conditions!! :sun:

Nice pics there Marc.Looks like you had a good holiday :thumbs:

zzippy2.gif

Marc, my points were not just aimed at you - they were aimed at everyone who goes back on a spot they have learned from someone else and then takes the fish.

Oz showed me some spots while I was down there - in exactly the same terms as you and he went out - but my respect for those marks still stands - i will not revisit them without speaking to him first.

Specimen and Zzippy showed me a spot when I fished with them, despite going back to the same harbour for work I have not fished that mark without them - I don't feel it is right.

If you think I have singled you out, then I am sorry. I thought i had worded my reply more openly than that - indeed, going back and re-reading it I still think it was very general and spoke of respect for one anothers marks - if you arranged to meet at the place and go together then that is different, but if somewhere is shown to you by someone (and by you I mean YOU plural) then I would think it was just polite to ask if you could go back - that is the way I work.

There are other times when by the context of the conversation - which nobody is privvy to but those included at the time - it is an open invitation to fish an area - different matter altogether.

My disappointment doesn't lie with one incident, far from it, there are other guides who have shown people marks only for those folks to come back and net the damn area - like the photographer that deserves to be shopped by someone on his patch and I hope he goes to jail for his illegal activities too. Fishig is one thing, but bass is a very emotive subject and anyone who knows just how on the brink they are will know exactly why it is so - anglers catches are miniscule in comparison to the slaughter going on day after day by commercial activities it is true - but unfortunately there is only a very small minority trying their best to safeguard the future for the majority - and they get pilloried for it. 1.5 million sea naglers - and as bass is our most sought after species I would venture that more than 10% of those 1.5 fish for bass - so why did we only get a response of 2600 to the bass consultation - obviously their bass fishing is not as important to them as it would appear. To me it is.

paintfly, I did not mean to have a go at you per se, but it was a perfect illustration of the situation. I hope my meaning is now clearer. I hope you go to the tope meet again and I will share a beer with you - but my stance on invading others marks when they are given remains - if you find them out yourself, then good luck tyo you, the situation doesn't arise. And YOU is plural, not singular.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo