Lizard Peninsula

paintfly

Simon feel free to go back to that mark at anytime :thumbs: I have no rights to it I'm totally open when it comes to marks. If I can I prefer to hunt them out myself so things don't get complicated. Where I usually fish the marks on the central south coast have been written about at some point and this does include good bass marks.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have only just seen Marc's post-----congratulations on the Conger mate, they are great fun from the yak aren't they :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

i am still with paintfly on this one , anyone who thinks he can dictate which part of the sea we can fish, must be on a ego trip .

unless another person parks alongside someone else who is already there .which i know happens ,this is bad sportmanship .

also showing a mark does not guarantee that the other person will catch. (story of my life lol).

i think most anglers in general these days are more conservation minded . i know i do not fish much for trout these days because there is no catch and release here in jersey. what would i need with a freezer full of trout which would not be eaten .its the big boys we should be fighting not among ourselves.

:group:

Edited by jerseytrev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

WOW this one still rumbles on.

My pennies worth is simple. As a sea fisherman I have no ownership. Therefore if I choose to show or share a mark I assume it will be fished. See the Seatown thread.

I have one mark that I am very protective of and have shown it to no one. Although, there are guys on here that I have fished with that I would be willing to disclose it too. Basically, if you want to protect a mark keep it to yourself because it isnt yours by rights and you should assume that if you go public it will be shared. Its naive to think otherwise.

Nothing like fanning the flames :fishing::secret:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Sorry Simon E, but whilst I doubt that anyone contibutes more to this forum than you, I am confused as to where you are coming from on this post; I really am. I cannot see why you have wellied into Kevin (Paintfly)at all; this seems completely unjustified.

The Kayaks are however great and we all want one!

Stay cool

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Hi Simon,

I wasn't responding to your post, just a bit puzzled why this was still going. Seems pretty obvious to me. Fished a patch about 3/4 miles out from Porthoustock for 4 days running, trying to get on the exact bit - very hard to do, don't think I managed to get just where I was originally. (Fish finder not working though, that could have solved the problem).

If you give your "secret marks" away for cash, being a guide, what do you expect! If you don't want to don't! Don't come crying to the rest of us when the obvious happens.

Yes, fully support all the conservation measures, especially for bass - get real.........nets, pollution and humankind in general do the worst damage, unseen.

Malibu 2

Gents - I can't remember ever having to deal with a thread from the Kayak forum before. Things here tend to stay pretty civil. I'd really like it if I can say that a month from now but this thread has a potential for heating up.

Can we continue to make valid points without things boiling over?

Note to Mark J - you just happened to be the last poster when I read the thread so this is not aimed directly at you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Marc, my points were not just aimed at you - they were aimed at everyone who goes back on a spot they have learned from someone else and then takes the fish.

Oz showed me some spots while I was down there - in exactly the same terms as you and he went out - but my respect for those marks still stands - i will not revisit them without speaking to him first.

Specimen and Zzippy showed me a spot when I fished with them, despite going back to the same harbour for work I have not fished that mark without them - I don't feel it is right.

If you think I have singled you out, then I am sorry. I thought i had worded my reply more openly than that - indeed, going back and re-reading it I still think it was very general and spoke of respect for one anothers marks - if you arranged to meet at the place and go together then that is different, but if somewhere is shown to you by someone (and by you I mean YOU plural) then I would think it was just polite to ask if you could go back - that is the way I work.

There are other times when by the context of the conversation - which nobody is privvy to but those included at the time - it is an open invitation to fish an area - different matter altogether.

My disappointment doesn't lie with one incident, far from it, there are other guides who have shown people marks only for those folks to come back and net the damn area - like the photographer that deserves to be shopped by someone on his patch and I hope he goes to jail for his illegal activities too. Fishig is one thing, but bass is a very emotive subject and anyone who knows just how on the brink they are will know exactly why it is so - anglers catches are miniscule in comparison to the slaughter going on day after day by commercial activities it is true - but unfortunately there is only a very small minority trying their best to safeguard the future for the majority - and they get pilloried for it. 1.5 million sea naglers - and as bass is our most sought after species I would venture that more than 10% of those 1.5 fish for bass - so why did we only get a response of 2600 to the bass consultation - obviously their bass fishing is not as important to them as it would appear. To me it is.

paintfly, I did not mean to have a go at you per se, but it was a perfect illustration of the situation. I hope my meaning is now clearer. I hope you go to the tope meet again and I will share a beer with you - but my stance on invading others marks when they are given remains - if you find them out yourself, then good luck tyo you, the situation doesn't arise. And YOU is plural, not singular.

Not sure if you are getting me confused with Marc J.

As you say: “an open invitation to fish an area - different matter altogether”

To my mind this was always the case, despite not having fished there before, although Austen obviously thought otherwise. But it was established, very early on in the thread, that our problem was largely due to this misunderstanding: ultimately, lessons were learnt and regrets expressed on both sides. Whether there was any need for it to go any further is open to question. Perhaps the discussion was edifying for more than just those who were directly concerned, although I’m not really sure how much was actually achieved.

It appears that your personal code of conduct is one that demands an unusual level of deference that I think I am not alone in finding rather exaggerated. Possibly such courtesy is to be applauded, but I feel it is wrong to assume that everyone necessarily agrees with or is even aware of those conventions you apply to yourself, or that they should be compelled to follow suit.

I think differences of opinion need to be tolerated, and as long as enforceable rules such as MLS etc. are adhered to, people must be allowed to develop their own interpretations with regard to issues such as conservation, personal safety, or whatever.

My main objection was to repetitive comments that added nothing new to the debate and were starting to distort the facts. However, despite an appearance to the contrary, I am prepared to accept your word that these were not directly aimed at me, by offering to bury the hatchet with a virtual handshake in the interests of harmony. And that goes for anyone else who may still feel aggrieved.