BBC's Trawlermen

ColinW

Entertaining so far. One thing is puzzling me though. I always thought farmers and fishermen got their fuel at a third of the price the rest of us pay because they are "feeding the nation" so to speak. Well, three days in, and so far all we've seen them catch are prawns, redfish and greenland halibut. The only things my missus would recognise as fish have been caught accidentally as bycatch in prawn trawls. Do I have an unusual diet, because prawns, redfish and greenland halibuts sure don't play any major part in what I eat? It seems to me that these guys are just making a living, same as the rest of us, not "feeding the nation" at all. So why the subsidies?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red diesel they use has duty applied to it but at a reduced rate in comparism to white. Buy a gallon of red and see if you can get it for a third of the price of white and if you can you will have to form an orderly queue whilst thousands try and get the cheap fuel you allude to

They said they paid 29p a litre. At my local garage, where all the local businesses buy it, it's 94p a litre. Why are they allowed to use "red diesel"? Builders can't use it, HGV drivers can't use it, taxi drivers can't use it, so why the special dispensation for fishermen? As I said, they are not providing some essential service, like farmers do, they are just making money like everyone else.

Excuse me but I thought this was an angling forum where people go to exchange views about angling. Unfortunately there also appears to be a number of members who use it as a place to make cheap shots at people who work long, unsocial hours in often very uncomfortable conditions for very little money.

Why is this?

"I fish therefore I am"

Excuse me but I thought this was an angling forum where people go to exchange views about angling. Unfortunately there also appears to be a number of members who use it as a place to make cheap shots at people who work long, unsocial hours in often very uncomfortable conditions for very little money.

Why is this?

That's an easy one. It's because no matter what excuses are made, the real reason why sea angling is a mere shadow of what it used to be is directly down to commercial fishing.

I hope that answers your question.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

"It's because no matter what excuses are made, the real reason why sea angling is a mere shadow of what it used to be is directly down to commercial fishing."

It's a funniy thing that you should say that sea angling is a mere shadow when all the reports suggest that the number of sea anglers is at an all time high (especially those making a political point), while the number of fishermen is in sharp decline.

You must be pretty certain of your evidence to affirm that any decline is directly down to commercial fishing.

Perhaps someone with your knowledge of the sea's ecology should be advising government scientists.

"I fish therefore I am"

It's a funniy thing that you should say that sea angling is a mere shadow when all the reports suggest that the number of sea anglers is at an all time high (especially those making a political point.

I don't know of any reports that say that.

Most of what I have seen shows a substantial decline in sea angling over the last several decades, particularly in the number of angling charter boats.

What they do point out is the huge potential for growth if management objectives were to be realigned to produce a 'product' (basically more and bigger fish) that will delight anglers for the stocks in which anglers are most interested.

Where that has occurred overseas, there has been a huge increase in the economic contribution of the Recreational Sea Angling Sector.

Instead of anglers replying 'not much' when asked by colleagues, friends and families how the weekend's fishing went, when they reply 'it was really good , had some terrific fish at the weekend', then those colleagues friends and families are more likely to respond 'Can I come out with you sometime?'

And when the fishing is good, not are there more people who go fishing, but they go more often, and invest more in quality tackle, buy their own boats etc, which produces a huge increase in the economic value of the sector from relatively little investment by the authorities.

Following the recovery of the USA Recreational Striped Bass Fishery between 1981 and 1996 the consequential expenditure increased from $85 million to $560 million over the same period by anglers fishing for striped bass
Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest challenge
They said they paid 29p a litre. At my local garage, where all the local businesses buy it, it's 94p a litre. Why are they allowed to use "red diesel"? Builders can't use it, HGV drivers can't use it, taxi drivers can't use it, so why the special dispensation for fishermen? As I said, they are not providing some essential service, like farmers do, they are just making money like everyone else.

Sorry about this captain sensible. I agree on what you say, but I think that this shot about diesel needs to be answered.

Why do you pay tax on your petrol and diesel in your cars? Is it not got something to do with you using roads to run them on? Farmers get red diesel because the majority of the time they are not using the British highways and therefore are except from taxation.

Yet to sea trawlers going down the A171 but then again that’s about the only thing I haven’t seen go down it.

You must be pretty certain of your evidence to affirm that any decline is directly down to commercial fishing.

Perhaps someone with your knowledge of the sea's ecology should be advising government scientists.

Why? The government scientists have been saying the same thing for years, look at the ICES advice year after year.

Going back to the program, it was interesting to see thirty trawlers working a patch the size of a golf course. Why do they do that when they tell us the sea is full of fish?

Going back to the program, it was interesting to see thirty trawlers working a patch the size of a golf course. Why do they do that when they tell us the sea is full of fish?

Thought the very same myself. Don't see why that is a problem 'cos as one commercial type gloated on here that the less fish the higher the price. They should be happy they have to jostle and work hard to find the fish and worry they'll get enough to cover their costs.

Of course in reality, the view of one does not represent the view of all.