BBC's Trawlermen

ColinW

That's an easy one. It's because no matter what excuses are made, the real reason why sea angling is a mere shadow of what it used to be is directly down to commercial fishing.

I hope that answers your question.

hi steve

Soooo the million or so sea anglers who have wiped out cod, conger, pollock, ling ect from the wrecks and other places, you know all those pictures that use to appear in the angling presses that prove it, all the pressure over the channel isles on turbot,brill and bass applied by uk anglers on charterboats have never helped to bring about your perception of depleted fish stocks,it's just the commercials fault is it?

also for example 1,000,000 sea anglers catch and remove only 1 kilo of fish per year that equates to 1000 tons of fish which goes unrecorded and unquoted. you know it's called unrestricted fishing pressure which is of coarse invisable to DEFRA

sorry we are all taken a bit of the cake we are all adding pressure to fish stocks one way or other and collectively we are all RESPONSIBLE

regards steve

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about this captain sensible. I agree on what you say, but I think that this shot about diesel needs to be answered.

Why do you pay tax on your petrol and diesel in your cars? Is it not got something to do with you using roads to run them on? Farmers get red diesel because the majority of the time they are not using the British highways and therefore are except from taxation.

Yet to sea trawlers going down the A171 but then again that’s about the only thing I haven’t seen go down it.

It wasn't a "shot" it was simply a question. If all other vessels get the same exemption then fair enough.

sorry we are all taken a bit of the cake we are all adding pressure to fish stocks one way or other and collectively we are all RESPONSIBLE

Absolutely. Which is why it is good to see catch limits, catch and release etc being employed on charter boats and and in matches. I cannot agree with all these groups have to say but they are gaining th emoral high ground. THEY ARE LEADING BY EXAMPLE............

Why? The government scientists have been saying the same thing for years, look at the ICES advice year after year.

Going back to the program, it was interesting to see thirty trawlers working a patch the size of a golf course. Why do they do that when they tell us the sea is full of fish?

I am only disputing the words "directly down to commercial fishing."

"I fish therefore I am"

Guest challenge
Thought the very same myself. Don't see why that is a problem 'cos as one commercial type gloated on here that the less fish the higher the price. They should be happy they have to jostle and work hard to find the fish and worry they'll get enough to cover their costs.

Of course in reality, the view of one does not represent the view of all.

Well to start with they where fishing for prawns, or did you see it differently, the second thing was that they where all towing in the same direction, most likely towing afore the tide, this way they can cover more ground catch more prawns and use less fuel.

They where again most likely fishing down a bank edge, or in a gully. They all wanted to be in the same area because that’s where they where getting the most prawns.

I did hear the Irish lad say that he was not here to return fish to the sea dead, so although they could have made a living on the fishing grounds they where on they moved so that they would not kill unwanted fish. I suppose you all missed that bit.

Well to start with they where fishing for prawns, or did you see it differently, the second thing was that they where all towing in the same direction, most likely towing afore the tide, this way they can cover more ground catch more prawns and use less fuel.

They where again most likely fishing down a bank edge, or in a gully. They all wanted to be in the same area because that’s where they where getting the most prawns.

I did hear the Irish lad say that he was not here to return fish to the sea dead, so although they could have made a living on the fishing grounds they where on they moved so that they would not kill unwanted fish. I suppose you all missed that bit.

Fishing for prawns, yes, or prawning. Still, the less prawn available for sale, the higher the price.

If there were lots of fish (prawns) they wouldn't have to be all in the same area.

Irish lad did indeed say that. Would the value of those fish have covered costs? I wouldn't think so.

No never missed that. Actually found it rather significant. I was left wondering what effect the presence of a camera crew had on that situation. I was quite shocked by the size of the fish caught amongst the prawns. A lot of discards. At the recent meeting between anglers and defra this issue was brought up. The fisheries man said it would be easy to do away with undersize fish byecatch almost over night in the prawning sector by using something I think he called a block or a grid ? However he added the the commercial fishermen will not use such a tool and have actively campaigned against their introduction.

No doubt I'll be corrected, please do, but are they not only allowed to land a certain percentage of fish as bycatch when prawn fishing? So if they already had a load of fish in the hold there would be no point carrying on fishing where they weren't catching many prawns.

Personally, I think the rules need changing so that all bycatch has to be taken back to port, maybe allow a certain quota after which they have to stop prawn fishing for a period. If they are catching too many fish (now there's a concept they won't like) when prawn fishing then something obviously needs to be done about the equipment.