Strangford Lough to Bangor, Co Down, N Ireland...where to fish

Pugs

Can anyone help me on any places to fish around Co Down but in particular around Strangford to Bangor coastline?

I can only take my spinning gear and maybe fly gear so no heavy beach casting gear can go with me.

This is a long shot but maybe someone knows good spinning areas around that coastline.

Cheers

Pugs

[ 31. August 2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Pugs ]

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

There are plenty of half decent marks near Bangor. Mostly Pollack, Coley, Mackerel, Wrasse etc. Fished round Bangor for years and always found Orlock Point a successful spot. Follow the main road from Bangor to Donaghadee. As you pass the reservoir on your right there is a small group of houses on the left. You can park here. The point you can see from the entrance (usual National Trust style fence thing) produces plenty of Coley and Mackerel in season. The best spot IMO is if you walk round the path for a further 10mins and find a little natural harbour below some houses. This is usually a decent evening mark for Pollack. Nothing huge but you can catch in decent numbers. Something like a Toby or Koster works well although I've had most success there using a small red eddystone lure along the rock margins. Pink tubing on a trace also works well. This is also a great September spot for Mackerel when they're about. Never seems to produce much though until early to late evening. There are also some decent Wrasse to float fished rag. Worth a go.

All round Ballymacormack point (between Bangor and Groomsport) can fish well for Pollack at the right times although pick a spot carefully as tackle losses can be high if you're in the wrong spot. Also keep an eye on the tide as it can be quite easy to get stranded on certain parts if you lose track of time.

Bangor pier itself is excellent for fishing with light gear. The point of the pier can produce dogs, pollack, decent wrasse, pouting, gurnards, small whiting and Mackerel in the summer (in abundance at times). Lots of small species between the rocks aswell. Has been known to throw up some surprises like Tadpole fish. If you're game it can also produce some decent conger! There's platform at the end. Just dangle a worm bait over the end for Wrasse and away you go!

If you fancy some real fun the Marina area is frequented by shoals of Mullet which are largely ignored by most but if that's your thing then there are some pretty decent ones!

Sea Cliffs rocks is a popular spot for the Mackerel bashers in the summer but if you like being left alone is probably best avoided!

World of Sea Fishing did a review of the Strangford to Bangor fishing opportunities a while back. Mostly from a boat but some shore marks are emntioned. You can find it here: worldseafishing.com/regional/ni...unty_down.shtml

Hope this has helped? If you need any more info The trap and tackle shop in Bangor is a good place to start or post again and i'll do my best to help out.

Good Luck!

I'd love to go fishing round there again! Moved to Edinburgh a few years ago and only get back home to fish a few times a year :( I love fishing round there as most of the coast is ignored and offers some good sport! I was getting jealous just typing the reply

Hi 101_North

If I may be so bold there are some marks listed on http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org and there are several very knowledgeable anglers (K2 Extreme et al) on the forums who are based in Co. Down and Co. Antrim.

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

101:

Thanks very much for the wealth of info, thats great mate :D

Those marks you mentioned i.e. Orlock Point, how deep are they as I'm thinking of using redgills on a trace to a bubble float setup. What is the fishing like around Donaghadee to Portavogie (think thats how to spell it :D )? I ask this as I've got a feeling that it is not fished to often and just maybe a decent Pollack can be had, although I also think it is fairly shallow hence the bubble float setup. Any decent places for Sea Trout around Strangford?

I also know a little inlet in Bangor called/near to Strictglands Glen, is it feasable to fish there too?

My father used to take us out from Donaghadee out to the Copelands and by christ we had some real good Pollack and plenty of sport, however we don't have the boat anymore :(

Spasor:

Your more than welcome to come along. I'm in Newtownards from 18th Sept to 1st Oct.

Neil

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

Neil,

To be honest I'm not too hot on anywhere further down than Donaghadee (permanent lack of transport being a major factor) although the coastline is pretty similar to round Bangor though so there should be some fairly accessible marks - just a question of finding them There are plenty of little harbours right down the coast which might be worth a go. Perhaps someone else on here will know more. You could try phoning Trap and Tackle in Bangor on 02891458515 for info?

Donaghadee pier produces Pollack, Coaly and flatties (mackerel in summer) so you might have some luck there.

If you're near Stricklands Glen then you could try the rocks on the right hand side of Brompton which is a tiny stone harbour about a 5min walk towards Bangor from the car park (I think this might be the mark you mention?). The rocks there should be right for spinning for Pollack etc. Again nothing huge but it's a nice spot! One other spot near Stricklands is Smelt Mill Bay again for the same species as before.

Your bubble float setup should be fine at the Orlock mark mentioned as it's fairly shallow although I usually use the redgills behind a drilled lead. Always found that a trace with a bead and earth wire tubing (yellow/green) works best there though. The bottom is relatively clean. I fished there maybe 4 weeks ago when I was back and caught a fair few Pollack in the evening and was pestered with some monster sandeels taking black redgills aswell :rolleyes:

If you fancy boat fishing near the Copeland Islands try giving Nelsons of Donaghadee a phone on 02891883403 or http://www.nelsonsboats.co.uk/Fishing.html .I think they still run weekend trips into October or you might be able to get a spot on a charter that's going. You never know :)

Hope this helps mate

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've been fishing up at Orlock but no luck yet (weather is crap) but just want to ask what tides fish the best here? It's Friday and HT is at 21:00 tonight, so I'll give it a go from 5 onwards....at least the wind is down and it's sunny :)

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image