anglers bag limit and discards

steve good

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Steve

It doesn't happen mate. They say that 95% of the fish are caught by 5% of the anglers. I say that still holds true. Most sea anglers will never get to catch a Cod now. Pouting and Whiting make up most of the average sea anglers catch. Even the sea angling magazines run articles on how to target Whiting nowdays!

Why do I get the feeling that you've got something nasty for anglers up your sleeve? :headhurt:

hi steve

quote/ Why do I get the feeling that you've got something nasty for anglers up your sleeve

no not at all steve you will be surprised

regards steve

Why do I get the feeling that all Steve G has up his sleeve is a smelly armpit. :doh:

same to you

1,000,000 anglers catching 10 kilos of cod a year plus 10 kilo of discards add up to one hell of alot of cod, anglers cannot continue to fish uncontrolled and unretricted

At least live in the real world Steve. Catching a cod these days especially from the shore is bloody hard work. When I read what some people write in these forums it would surprise me if the average angler ever a caught a cod (hope people dont take that personally). The days when cod were so abundant that they competed for food and would eat pork pies and banana skins is way behind us - its now difficult to catch cod. Your figures are a bizzarre stretch of anyones imagination, even from someone tainted by a commercial philosophy of fishing they are from a different planet. Beam me up stevie.

:clap2: Absolutly true, some years we don't catch a cod in club competitions and that's boat and beach and there's plenty of effort put in to catch them too. Pick a good skipper, good boat, best tides, super bait, result, loads of dogs, pout, whiting etc but no cod. I can remember in the not too distant past when a dozen or more double figure cod on the boat was a good day but not exceptional. Now one cod on the boat is exceptional. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B

Guest challenge

If anglers who concentrate on catching cod as there Maine target spices are not going to have bag limits? “Because there is nothing that the government could give them in return” does that mean they will not have to pay for a rod license too?

If any body is having problems catching cod we still have a few available places left for the run in of this season. http://www.chieftaincharters.com/AVAILABLE%20DATES.htm Hope to see you soon. and remember to bring a large cool box for your fillets. Bass fishing I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

Cod are still in abundace if you know where to find them we have had a superb fishing on cod nearly all year they aint everywhere its just been knowing just where to look ,we all have our best marks which has took many years to gather up but believe me cod are from extinct you just have to work a lot harder than you did say 10 years ago but there is still some suberb cod fishing to be had ok the 20lbss are coming aboard in vast numbers like they once were but fish upto 10lb are a really nice sample and to a lot of people are a fish of a lifetime.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi Paul,

My point was in response to the statement claiming 1 million anglers each catch 10 kilos of cod each, every year. The avearge angler (the people who go a few times of year and use peeled prawns for bait may never see 1 cod never mind a box full). I know for a fact that sea otter anglers have done well this year and for sake of not wanting to sound biased so have those on all Whitby boats including challenges. However the initial statement of 10 kilos for each angler is quite far fetched Im sure you would agree. I know some shore anglers locally who never got of of single figures for cod last year and in comparison to some they did well.

Guest challenge

I believe that Steves thread has some good points. If all the boats in Whitby did have a good season or at least are having good season fishing for cod? Then how many of these (successful) anglers (if bag limits where introduced) would have had to return fish to the sea dead?

I know that this question has been debated time and time again, but debated by whom?

The lads down south who very rarely catch cod in any amount? Shore anglers like yourself glen? Or catch and release anglers who obviously want bag limits for reasons they have stated more than clearly in the past?

One thing that we must have all learnt in the last day or so (regarding the Bass problems) is that anglers and angling is very territorial and therefore need regional representation when it comes to negotiating things that some might think is needed by all.

fish upto 10lb are a really nice sample and to a lot of people are a fish of a lifetime.

Not having a go bc, but for what would be considered a bit of a cod mecca a few years ago mate thats sad,

sounds like you guys up their will soon be in the same possition as us southerners in a year or two regarding old bucket mouth, dear o dear...........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly