FEDERATIONS, CLUBS, AND SOCIETIES

Guest toplessfishing

Guest toplessfishing

Just out of interest how many here are members of clubs, federations or societies.?

And more importantly what do these organisations do for your money?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. SACN - Its free and they do lots for anglers. I regulally get emails from them on issues they know Im interested in and they represent us all in a positive light. They do too much to mention here. Take a look at the Website.

2. YALASA - Again free. Represent north east anglers on a national and regional basis. Recently made responses to the Bass management consultationand Marine bill consultation, Nigel Proctor (doc) who heads up the organisation also represents sea anglers on the local sfc and has recently helped overturn a proposed byelaw making it illegal to collect peeler crabs from the shore. Yalasa hope to have members trained as sea angling coaches with an aim of working with the local youngsters - introducing them to sea fishing and conservation. The group has also been influencial in persuading the local sea fisheries committee to introduce the countries very first tope protection bye law. For me this small group has done a great deal for local anglers. However I reckon 90 per cent dont even know we exist.

3. Whitby Sea Anglers Association - Local fishing club costs £5 per year to join. It provides me with 2 weekly fishing competitions which I enjoy greatly. The social aspect of the club is great too. We have a good laugh in the pub afterwards. Howver I wont say that from my point of view that everything is perfect. There are a lot of old members unwilling to let go of the past, new ideas are often rubished. Traditionally a cod club some of the members percieve they hold some moral high ground for only targeting cod whilst ridiculing those targetting other species. Also the only fishing club I know without any official rules on paper - usually rely on the memory of older members. And as Im sure your aware old brains are not quite as sharp as they used to be. Needs to change and encourage new members. Some north east clubs have 500 members we struggle for 30. We need to recruit more.

4. NFSA - Membership vis the local fishing club. There is a fee but im not sure how much. They represent anglers on a naational level. Im not sure I know enough to comment. Its my perception that they are not vocal enough.

Edited by glennk

Guest toplessfishing

4. NFSA - Membership vis the local fishing club. There is a fee but im not sure how much. They represent anglers on a naational level. Im not sure I know enough to comment. Its my perception that they are not vocal enough.

Thank you for that, could you elaborate.

I used to belong to the NFSA. I got a diary and 3rd party liability insurance for my money. I don't belong to them any more.

I registered with the SACN, which didn't cost anything. I'm still registered as far as I know and I get emails from them sometimes.

I have never belonged to BASS. However, I have decided to join and sent a cheque to them yesterday. I don't know what to expect, but I'll try anything once. Well, almost anything!

I used to belong to the Felixstowe Sea Angling Society. I forget how much it cost, but I got to store my boat in their compound and met some very nice people. Very good club and well worth the membership money. I don't belong to it any more though.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

No comment!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

RNLI...As a boat owner/angler, surprised they werent mentioned first....just had my Seacheck done...free, says it all actually....

RYA.....For safety and courses...soopperb.....and free liability insurance.....

B.S.A.C.....Where I keep my "wee" boat, great club....free boat storage....and not bad fishing too...for £20 a year !!!!!

B.F.A.C....good wee freshwater club...Im the secretary......great weekends away.....

SACN.....Think they do a great job...joined a few years ago.....

S.A.N.A. Stand up for Scottish Freshwater Anglers Rights....sometimes....:)

Theres a few more, but honestly cant think of them now !!!!...Just back from a "Trip" meeting.....:)

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Got thrown out the NFSA 30 years ago. I complained about the commitee and cronyism at the AGM.

It's probably no different today. I wouldn't join any club, interest group or political body.

Elaboration.

I would like to hear more from nfsa. They are quiet. There are numerous occasions I would have liked to have heared comments from them on numerous situations. Often you hear nothing.

Glenn,

Do they have your email address?

They are now regularly sending out newsletters and other information to members who have supplied their email address and who have agreed to be contacted this way.

Apart from time, emailing costs virtually nothing, whereas postage and printing costs makes anything other than a couple of necessary communications a year very expensive. Money better spent on protecting anglers rights and fighting for conservation.

Ah! Sorry just realised that you are not an individual member, just through an affiliated club, in which case all communication will go to the club, and if they don't pass it on...........

Better to join as an individual member.

http://www.nfsa.org.uk/members/join/individual.htm

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust