Why not maggots for trout?

bingo

Jealous of someone who's decided that they want to go home smelling of maggotts...yes I probably am.....but then I caught a wild brownie just over a pound and a half on saturday morning using an alley shrimp double salmon fly, 12lb leader on a 9 weight rod.

I was pleased to catch it, I'm easily pleased apparently, but no one was jealous..........until you work out how to catch salmon on maggot round my way, no one will be interested (by the way, David Moir who was a member of AN did once catch one cleanly on maggot, in november, when fishing for perch, (honest, i was there when he landed it) but all subsequent attempts have failed.............shrimps however are far more use)

I don't know where you fish but I imaging you make a flying maggot the same way wherever you fish. Set up your normal rig but don't put a fly on the end, just put on a bare hook with a couple of maggots on the end. I do't know how good it is for salmon, but it sure is effective for brownies and sea-trout, especially at dusk on those balmy late season nights.

Jealous of someone who's decided that they want to go home smelling of maggotts...

I never go home smelling of maggots, I put them on a hook, I don't smear them all over like Brut

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't they smash up on the back cast?

The smell tends to come when I'm pulting pints of them into the river and the wind blows the sawdust over me.

need to put in a lot of maggots to get the barbel going on the river wear.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Don't they smash up on the back cast?

The smell tends to come when I'm pulting pints of them into the river and the wind blows the sawdust over me.

need to put in a lot of maggots to get the barbel going on the river wear.

I would not know how maggots stand up to being casted on a fly rod :hypocrite:, after all this is a forbidden method on lots of waters ;)

I have never used maggots buy the pint! When lived in Scotland they were sold in little scoops. I used to buy enough to fill a little worm box, probably about 3-4 oz max.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

i only ask because i tried this on a coarse water after spraying maggots for rudd. the main problem was knowing whether I had any bait on the end after the cast, as the maggots tended to explode on the back cast.

i now use a baby doll, which keeps the majority of anglers happy, as it looks like a maggot, but casts and is, an artificial.

they still look down their noses if I'm pulting pints of maggots in.

I did get sea trout on trotted maggot a couple of times, but have had my best fish on silver teal and blue double flies.

The club record sea trout, an excellent fish of 21lb, was caught on a gary dog I believe, by a chap who'd been targetting "a huge salmon" all day. Until we pointed out what an excellent fish he had caught, he was dissapointed as he's been desperate for a salmon.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

i only ask because i tried this on a coarse water after spraying maggots for rudd. the main problem was knowing whether I had any bait on the end after the cast, as the maggots tended to explode on the back cast.

i now use a baby doll, which keeps the majority of anglers happy, as it looks like a maggot, but casts and is, an artificial.

they still look down their noses if I'm pulting pints of maggots in.

I did get sea trout on trotted maggot a couple of times, but have had my best fish on silver teal and blue double flies.

The club record sea trout, an excellent fish of 21lb, was caught on a gary dog I believe, by a chap who'd been targetting "a huge salmon" all day. Until we pointed out what an excellent fish he had caught, he was dissapointed as he's been desperate for a salmon.

IMO I would rather catch a sea-trout than a salmon ANY day of the week. It just tastes much better (at least to me).

Ditto.......he was a visitor from the South who "had to catch a salmon".

Once we'd explained the ways of the world to him (including examples of the local beer to prove that the southern ale really is cats wee) he came round to our way of thinking.

I understand that he's now trying to buy a house up this way...........we all fall under the spell of the country eventually.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

In the North East of Scotland the maggot fly (where allowed) is very popular for seatrout at night.

It is a standard sea trout fly tipped with one or two maggots.

Ground baiting or loose feeding maggots is however frowned upon

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

(including examples of the local beer to prove that the southern ale really is cats wee)

I don't know what your local beer is mate but not all English beer is cats pee. I can't think of one beer I have ever drunk in Scotland that could hold a candle to Marston's Pedigree, Old Speckled Hen or just about any beer from Sheperd Neame, and that is coming from a Scot. The last time I was in a pub in Scotland it took me AGES to find a pub that had hand pumped beer and that was just McEwans 80 shillings. That's not even cat pee, mor like ferrets vomit. :yucky:

If you're ever in the borders bob into the black bull in Haltwhistle, they usually have 10 traditional English beers, but the good ones all seem to be brewed North of Watford Gap.

My personall favourit is Timothy Taylors Landlord though our guest was hooked on Prince Bishop and now takes a few pints home with him every visit.

Feeding maggots may be frowned on but as it's not against our rules, and as I'm still the club secretary (a job which no one else is willing tot ake on) I'll do it. Anyone who complains can deal with the rents and memberships next year.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY