Would you consider a sea angling licence now?

Pugs

Had the BMP been implemented in it's entirety and a 'golden mile' been established and a proactive approach to such illegal activities as netting etc taken place, artificial reefs and marine reserves established then yes I would happily pay for a sea angling licence.

But the way the government 'jacked' out of the BMP and local authorities turning a blind eye to illegal netting, the complete lack of quality fish in our inshore waters, then they can ram any licence where the sun doesn't shine.

I'm not going to pay a licence fee when there is no decent sport to be had!

mods: can you set up a poll?

Edited by Pugs

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to pay a licence fee when there is no decent sport to be had!

I don't think anyone is asking you to!

Maybe at some future date there will be a proposal of a package of measures that include a licence, but we'll need to wait until then, and see what it contains, whether any of it will be of any benefit to anglers, before deciding whether to accept or reject it.

Until then it's pretty pointless trying todecide whether you are likely to be for or against it.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I don't think anyone is asking you to!

Maybe at some future date there will be a proposal of a package of measures that include a licence, but we'll need to wait until then, and see what it contains, whether any of it will be of any benefit to anglers, before deciding whether to accept or reject it.

Until then it's pretty pointless trying todecide whether you are likely to be for or against it.

Well Leon i found this on another forum

"i had an interesting phone call off a friend of mine who works at the enviroment agency and he was telling me that from April 07 or April 08 depending on how things go with the big movers and shakers that a new rod licence for sea anglers is going to be introduced costing £32."

and its not pointless, as before you know it (this government) could have introduced a licence, better to be prepared than sitting around doing squat diddle dee!

Edited by Pugs

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

If and when the licence issue is put to the test I think it will be a good opportunity for us to get something for giving something. Yes chances have been missed already and i'm as dissapointed as most, but when they ask us for a revenue we have the right to ask for something in return, be it the golden mile or an earlier increase to the mls.

Ill just say what I always say about this subject. The bass management plan offered little to a majority of north east anglers, a golden mile offers less. Most of the bmp offers little to us except that anglers are listened to (or not depending on how you view this issue). Either with or without the bmp a licence would not be supported by me unless we got major major benefits for north east fishing.

Leon Im not too keen on leaving things untill they decide to consult, the message should be get things sorted then come to us and dont even contemplate coinsulting untill you do. Call me paranoid but I think they intend to sneak up from behind with this and bag limits.

What I propose when you talk about bag limits and licences with defra is that you talk about them for bass anglers only and remember there is a mass of anglers who stand to gain sweet diddly from all of this. I fear anglers of other species are to get the **** end of a deal for the sake of a few.

Edited by glennk

For me to buy a licence the government of the day will have to give us a whole lot more than what this sorry bunch of losers have. On top of real measures to improve our sport , instead of the soundbytes and broken promises we've had from Labour, I'd want to see responsibility for managing fisheries taken away from DEFRA althogether and given to someone who actually has a clue.

As things stand now, if a licence were brought in tomorrow I'd pack up sea angling rather than buy one.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Well Leon i found this on another forum

"i had an interesting phone call off a friend of mine who works at the enviroment agency and he was telling me that from April 07 or April 08 depending on how things go with the big movers and shakers that a new rod licence for sea anglers is going to be introduced costing £32."

and its not pointless, as before you know it (this government) could have introduced a licence, better to be prepared than sitting around doing squat diddle dee!

Yes Pugs,

I think most of us saw it on another forum. The idea was ridiculed there as well, before it died a death. Just more scaremongering from a dubious source.

So why have you resurrected the idea here? :roll1::roll1:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I dout they could be stupid enough to introduce a lisence after that fudge, could they?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Why not. We would have been getting a licence without even been offered anything. You already have a rise in mls. Some accepted it as good news. Of course they will push the licence issue, I cant believe you would be so naive as to think they wont. I also get the feeling that some people would back this too. I doubt they would ever admit it but my feeling is we are been gently steered in the licence direction.

how about........ a licence that incorporates membership of the NFSA with half you're money going to them and the rest to defra/Ea/whoever.

At least then the NFSA would have some financial clout and maybe be able too afford the same propaganda/lobbying powers that the commercials enjoy.