naming kayaks

nomoretequila

"Port controll port contoll this is tits tanic"

"last caller last caller this is port contoll please re-afirm your call sign"

"port controll port controll this is tits tanic repeat tits tanic"

"This is port contoll to the vessel tanic, may I remind you sir that it is an illegal offence to use obscene language over the airways, please refrain or I will have no option but to report you to the authorities, this is port controll out"

That is the reply you will get :rolleyes::rolleyes: not very usefull if you want to know if it is clear to cross a shipping lane or want to know the course of that 200,000 ton liquid gas takner thats coming toward you.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Port controll port contoll this is tits tanic"

"last caller last caller this is port contoll please re-afirm your call sign"

"port controll port controll this is tits tanic repeat tits tanic"

"This is port contoll to the vessel tanic, may I remind you sir that it is an illegal offence to use obscene language over the airways, please refrain or I will have no option but to report you to the authorities, this is port controll out"

That is the reply you will get :rolleyes::rolleyes: not very usefull if you want to know if it is clear to cross a shipping lane or want to know the course of that 200,000 ton liquid gas takner thats coming toward you.

By the look of the post GB, just a kid and as such best to ignore! :lol:

SDD~~~~~~~~ :sun:

By the look of the post GB, just a kid and as such best to ignore! :lol:

SDD~~~~~~~~ :sun:

Yes by the amount of swearing in his first post you may be right Dave.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Oh for heaven's sake guys - stop taking things so seriously. I try to start a little light hearted fun on a rainy weekend and look what happens.:rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

SDD - thanks old man :marinheiro::wheelchair: for pointing me to the website on the anchor trolley post. I'll post a photo of the finished yak when the bits turn up.

As for the "kid" title. Very happy with that, although my kids would think of it as "maintaining a youthful outlook on life".

Oh for heaven's sake guys - stop taking things so seriously. I try to start a little light hearted fun on a rainy weekend and look what happens.:rolleyes::rolleyes::oops:

SDD - thanks old man :marinheiro::wheelchair: for pointing me to the website on the anchor trolley post. I'll post a photo of the finished yak when the bits turn up.

As for the "kid" title. Very happy with that, although my kids would think of it as "maintaining a youthful outlook on life".

Troll

Good points, well made about appropriate call signs, but c'mon guys, lets give him a bit of slack. Maybe the language was a bit colourful, but us salty sea dogs shouldn't get too upset by that. Think it was a genuine attempt at humour.

I think it was a genuine atempt at humor too, as was my last post (I'm not as funny as I think I am).

I swear like a trooper (I'm a hairy a88ed rigger it's natural).

I dont sound that serious do I?? I must be turning into my Dad :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by GB

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Right lads, let's get back on track shall we.

I know it is horrid weather - i was at a kayak symposium this weekend in N. Wales - not fishing, kayaking. The first 3 kayaks on the water were the instructors - they all got blown over within 25 yards of launchig. It was howling!

I got the skua out and went to join the now recovered throng and we actually got a decent paddle in - tiring, testing and taxing it is true, but we battled agaist the elements and the little bay was well out of the main force of the wind! We had a lifeboat exercise (yes, yes I am coming to the point) where we took it in turns to fall out and be rescued by the inshore - they need training exercises (stooges!) and it is good to become involved so you know what to expect if the need arises - you will know what they are going to do and how you can best help their efforts.

Now, back to names - NMT has actually raised a valid point albeit in a roundabout sort of way (but then I am a roundabout sort of guy - you can tell by my posts, like this one). So has GB - an even more valid point actually, becuase when you look at yacht/boat names any of them have obviously been given with NO THOUGHT as to having to spell them phonetically over the RT.

Naming your kayak is a good idea - but keep it short, simple and easy to spell for the recipient of a message. Our fishing kayaks are called:

NANUK (Innuit for "The Hunter" it is the name they give to the Polar Bear).

ORION - again The Hunter named after the constellation.

The Dorado is called DIANA the Roman Godess of the Chase (or a Huntress!)

Note the theme - they are all named after hunters and all are short, easy to say, easily understood and easy to spell phonetically should that be necessary.

I believe Phooey has called his kayak YARAK - a term used in falconry to describe a birds fitness for hunting. Again, a very easy name to give over the Rt as it is spelled exactly as it sounds.

The CG will not thank you for naming your boats with clever phrases that need 25 characters and three seperate words to write them down - it is also a bit of a mouthful when you have to use it.

My race boats were called BULLET and DEJA VU.

Others I have seen - fitting for a Dorado perhaps - OVERDRAFT, NOIDEA (No Idea joined up) CALYPSO, sea bird names,but ALBATROSS is too long. Fish names.

There are a few ideas and some hints so you don't duplicate.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Sorry Darnsarf - its the Plymouth Gin working again.

OK OK it was him with the cockney name what called his kayak after a state of fitness of a bird - is that an Essex thing?

Edited by Simon Everett

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo