getting started kayaking.

carl1010_1

hi guys.

after reading as much as i could on kayaks and there specs, i have reached the point where i am ready to splash the cash but am still totally unsure of which yak to get.

i am 6 ft 2" and weigh about 15 stone, i plan to use the yak for a few hours at a time and occasional long session fishing for bass etc (nothing too big tope etc) , i will be fishing around the coast of aberystwyth (rhydefelin) sp.

and have a holiday home right next to the sea so it would probably get a lot of use.

i dont really want to buy the cheapest and then have to upgrade because i am unhappy with it.

i have looked at :

Perception Caster 11.5 & 12.5.

Perception Freedom Angler.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angling Edition.

The Wilderness Systems Tarpon .

which is the best out of these :help:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just been to look at the Perception Caster and the prowler 13 and the prowler wins by a mile ,more storage, better finish, better hull shape and not many areas to put deck mounts on the Perception Caster. Also the Perception Caster is a lot more cash. I am 6ft 4 and the prowler has loads of room for me

hope this helps a little Richard

I'm 6'3 and 15 stone, I've never tried any of the other yaks you mentioned but I'm VERY pleased with my Prowler 13, I can stretch my legs out flat, and its great on the sea.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

I've just had two weeks in Aberporth, lovey down there. I envy you, it's a fabulous coastline. Everyone seems to go yakking, to look at the dolphins!

Best of luck, I've just started yakking in Kent, after getting the bug in Wales.

thank you for your replys they are appreciated :thumbs:

ive just been to west midland canoe centre and had a sit on a 13 prowler and felt quite big , only thing i wasnt struck on were the ribs where your legs are .

something keeps telling me to view a 120 tarpon (i dont know why).

has the tarpon got a tri hull style bottom or is it the same as a prowlers?

Perception Caster 11.5 & 12.5.

Perception Freedom Angler.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Angling Edition.

The Wilderness Systems Tarpon .

which is the best out of these :help:

hi i have a freedom angler and the only complaint i have is the front rod holder is a little to far forward from the seat area and is a bit of a strecth to get the rod out

Hi,

Welcome to the world of kayak fishing.

I bought a P13 this year and have been very pleased with it. I haven't experienced any discomfort from the foot rests when out paddling.Mine is the angler edition and I have found it to be well laid out. Personally I prefer the rod holers mounted behind the seat, I find them more easily accessible. I did experiment with a rod holder near the front but found it to be too far away if you leave plenty of room for a good paddling style (not that I claim to have a particularly stylist paddling technique!)

The angler version of the P13 is quite good value when you look at the part noly costs for the high back seat and two rod holders. The Tarpons are a nice looking boat and oose quality, they have a more open deck area between the knees but are that bit more expensive.

Have you tried contacting the White Water Consultancy near Carmarthen to see if they have any in to try?

Good luck with the shopping.

thanks again for your replies :thumbs:

i plan on fishing really with only the basics on board ( couple rods and tackle box etc )

i am thinking about using thigh straps for my stability and so i can roll it back , does anyone else use them or have any views on using them..

does anyone on here fish the aberystwyth area as i have seen a couple of kayaks by rhydefelin and would like to know a bit about the area if you would care ;) to share any info ;):ph34r:

Don't bother with the leg straps, think you will find they get in the way, the clearer the deck the better as hooks and line will soon find something to attach themselves too.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com