getting started kayaking.

carl1010_1

Nice tope Carl - BUT, please handle them with more care - that guard rail has done a load of damage to the internal ogrgans. You won't see it in the way the fish swims off as she probably went away strongly - but many die days later due to poor handling and internal damage that the anglr simply doesn't know he has done.

The internal organs can even be damaged in a heavy fish by the belly becoming too distended - get one arm under th fish to support the belly if you can. Not easy, I know (you want to try it while sitting on a kayak in a swell) but it is important.

I hope you don't think I am having a go - I am not. I am just trying to improve the conservation aspect of our sport. It is something I am quite involved with.

You can see all sorts of tips on the UK Shark Tagging Scheme website:

www.ukshark.co.uk

Good luck with the rest of the season - hope you get a 70lb er!

Agreed Simon.

Pressure on the viscera like that will almost certainly cause internal haemorrhage and possibly rupturing of the stomach which will then lead to the stomach acids entering the visceral cavity and dissolving the rest of the internals, slowly.

Sorry to be so graphic, but these beautiful fish are under real pressure as a species and we need to be mindful of the way in which we handle them. I know its like trying to handle a thrashing bag of razor wire, but the website simon mentioned is really worth look

Jon

OK prowler 13a Flame

www.ukbass.co.uk

Sea Anglers Conservation Network

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic