hard waters

marmiteboy

I have been fishing a local water and have fished it 5 times now i have tried all sorts of baits and rigs but cant get a bite.Can any other anglers help me with anything like baits and rigs what may get me a bite

on a the water it isnt realy a pressured water by other carp anglers mainly people float fishing for roach and perch.There are around 15 to 20 carp in the water.The water is extremly siltly and i was thinking.How does the weather effect the carps feeding pattern.And do carp feed better in low or high pressure and maybe i could catch one with a little help

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How large is the water?

What baits, rigs, baiting, etc. have you already tried?

Do you ever see any signs of carp feeding or moving around?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

There are two reasons a water can be "Hard" either angling pressure (which it doesnt seem to be in your case) or that it is extremely rich in natural food.

Out of the two I would say that the latter is the harder nut to crack.I say that because on a pressured water you can look to new baits/new presentations etc to catch you a fish or two.On rich waters it often makes no difference what you do and the only chance you get is when there is a natural gap in the food chain.

There is I suppose a "third" reason that a water is "hard" and that is because its only hard in the mind of an angler who is struggling to catch on it.This can be for a lot of reasons and is certainly the most easily solved.

Before you can take any action or anybody can offer advice we need to find out which catagory your water falls in.

First question,are others catching regularly?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie hit the nail on the head:

On rich waters it often makes no difference what you do and the only chance you get is when there is a natural gap in the food chain

That sums up the water I`m on. Over the last couple of years a pattern has started to emerge and I can say without reservation that the best time to fish the water is early spring when the fish `wake up` before the natural food.

They`re hungry, they`re scavenging and they`re catchable. Come mid May when the lake has really come to life the carp get increasingly more difficult to catch.

You can trick them out most times in the year but with such a low stock of carp the odds are stacked against you stalking them.

wolf.gif

Marmite, those fish will have definite feeding patterns, whether it is naturals or not shouldn't matter (unless they are preocupied) This time of year the natural foods are dwindling fast, so your chances are improving.

Find the feeding times (these will change, sometimes daily) but if they are feeding, then you can catch them :)

Most lakes have periods when the fish seem to "switch off", you just have to keep pluggng away.

Use a good food source bait (basic fishmeal etc, nothing fancy) so you can at least be sure of the bait, balance it so it sinks slowly and rests on the lake bed. You will then be sure the fish can see and smell it, so two more doubts removed :)

Make sure your hooks are really sharp, and the weight is heavy enough to set the point of the hook.

Pretty basic stuff, but you would be surprised how many little things can go wrong..

We used to have a saying "If you can't catch in Sept, then you won't catch any other time" Good luck, and persevere,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I have never seen a carp been caught well i have been there.I have only ever seen 1 carp swrile.The water is 1.5 acre.Ive tried all sorts of rigs bolt rigs,inline leads,method feeders.Ive tried meat corn pellet bollie maggots ,worms.peperrami.The water has a lot of natural bait in it.I think the bait is being dragged into the silt by the lead.

Guest Brumagem Phil

I'd agree too with theory of natural food. Check out my 'fishing can be so cruel' thread on the coarse board. I've been fishing a lake that is just as you describe, and the ONLY time I can consistently catch the fish is just before they spawn in the spring.

Its perking up a LITTLE at the moment and think the chilling down of the water will help reduce the amount of natural bait a bit.

On waters such as this, number one rule is feed em natural baits. Worm should work........but its still gonna be bloody hard work.

If there are any weedbeds, try tackling right down and seeing if there are any small carp around....it might give you a clue as to what else might be in there.

so its a bit incoherent, but i'm in a rush!

Good luck.

If its local I would pop down there a few times before fishing it and put some bait into areas you think the fish might be, or areas where you have seen fish, make sure you introduce some of the hook bait you are intending to use among the main feed

just one more cast then I'am off home

Fifteen fish in one and a half acres, the odds are stacked in your favour mate. My water has that many fish in and it over 20 acres!

Don`t bother with fancy stuff, get a float on the go. Luncheon meat should be all you need as bait. Keep quiet and drop the float in for half hour in as many margin spots as possible. Believe me, you`ll catch.

wolf.gif

Fifteen fish in one and a half acres, the odds are stacked in your favour mate. My water has that many fish in and it over 20 acres!

Don`t bother with fancy stuff, get a float on the go. Luncheon meat should be all you need as bait. Keep quiet and drop the float in for half hour in as many margin spots as possible. Believe me, you`ll catch.

How do you keep the spirits up with only 15 fish in over 20 acres of water ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.