hard waters

marmiteboy

I did that once many years back, caught three in a night and didn't enjoy it.

I've blanked on waters for the whole season a couple of times but that's just fishing. I guess it comes down to your level of confidence which in turn comes from past experience. I do change things every now and again and I've a feeling I've moved away from things that worked and results did get worse. I can however live with that but this winter I have a few new plans up my sleeve as I will be out a little bit more than in the last couple of years, since I have a bit more free time.

Rob.

I was over Fen Drayton last week, taking the dog for a run, what a great looking lake, its approx 100 acres , looks like a seriously hard water. Reckon you could go years without as much as a line bite registering on your alarm on a water like that. It requires so much time and dedication to fish that sort of water. Just don't have the time to put in. I am doing well to get out on 2-3 overnighters a month. Must try more mid week trips, get up early , pack up, unload at home and then get to work.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Ferry is bigger, and harder than Fen Drayton ! So I recon my chances of a winter carp from it are, somewhat slim ;)

Rob.

Which one is ferry lagoon ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I was over Fen Drayton last week, taking the dog for a run, what a great looking lake, its approx 100 acres , looks like a seriously hard water. Reckon you could go years without as much as a line bite registering on your alarm on a water like that.

Hard because of the size or because of a very low fish population kestrel? I don't know of the place at all so just curious since you said it was a great looking lake.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hard because of the size or because of a very low fish population kestrel? I don't know of the place at all so just curious since you said it was a great looking lake.

Newt,

I am also at a loss on small waters, I am so used to fishing on waters where you cannot see the bank on the other side.

I think we are spoilt rotton.

Go down to the water prepare a spot and catch fish.

Roger

Do you ever get demoralised and have a day or two on easier waters,just to prove to yourself that you are still doing the right things?

Na, that`d make it even worse knowing that I could catch fish from somewhere else!

I only target the water for the six months we`re allowed to night fish then move back onto the rivers. I can handle struggling away for a few months as it really fires me back up when I return to the Severn.

wolf.gif

Hard because of the low fish stocks predominantly, they are big (by our standards) but I don't think size matters. NB/ Fen is about 100 acres (??) Ferry is I think 200+.

Which one is ferry lagoon ?

Kestrel,

Ferry is opposite Fen. If you go along the pot holed track from the town (I think that's the town of Fen Drayton) - right where you enter the gate to ferry, on your left - opposite is the gate to Fen on your right. Have a look on one of the mapping programs, you should be able to spot it.

Rob.

Hard because of the low fish stocks predominantly, they are big (by our standards) but I don't think size matters. NB/ Fen is about 100 acres (??) Ferry is I think 200+.

Kestrel,

Ferry is opposite Fen. If you go along the pot holed track from the town (I think that's the town of Fen Drayton) - right where you enter the gate to ferry, on your left - opposite is the gate to Fen on your right. Have a look on one of the mapping programs, you should be able to spot it.

Rob.

Rob,

I am talking Ha and a couple of hundred at that.

I have found a small water (250 yrds, 750 yrds) to fish plenty of nice reeds and a little island with a willow tree on it, that is why I am so interested in this post. Limited fish stocks. So yes the tactics I pick up here can be very useful.

I fished the water this winter and had a few fish up to twenty pound, I have seen bigger fish now the water is getting warm so I am going to try again.

I have not seen any fishermen on the water, so I have started to prebait a swim for myself.

Roger

Rob,

I am talking Ha and a couple of hundred at that.

I have found a small water (250 yrds, 750 yrds) to fish plenty of nice reeds and a little island with a willow tree on it, that is why I am so interested in this post. Limited fish stocks. So yes the tactics I pick up here can be very useful.

I fished the water this winter and had a few fish up to twenty pound, I have seen bigger fish now the water is getting warm so I am going to try again.

I have not seen any fishermen on the water, so I have started to prebait a swim for myself.

Roger

Roger,

We have similar problems but one of our additional problems is fishing pressure. Not as much a problem on the very big waters (by UK standards) I mentioned but still a problem. For you your fish will probably never have been fished for and hence need to be introduced to bait. That said maize seems to be pretty much instant in terms of getting carp interested. If you can spot the fish then watch what they do and where they go and then feed the spots. You can most probably sit over them in a canoe or something (?)

Rob.

Ok try this. Take a few days just to walk around the lake. Get a feel for it and watch for feeding fish. Take notes. At what time do you see any fish feed. Check for wind direction. Which way is it blowing from? Watch your water on the windward side. What is the natual feeding patterns of the fish. What is the natual bait in the lake that the fish feed on. Try to mimic it. Believe it or not, if you watch for long enough you will see those fish and their daily routines. Fish are pretty reliable when it comes to routines. And it's fun just to watch them. Gives you time to target paticular fish to try and catch. It's just a matter of time until you suss out the patterns the fish adhere to in your local lake. If I were you I'd wouldn't even fish it for a couple of sessions. Just watch the lake and breathe in the vibes. Believe me, it's worked for myself.

No lake is impossible, be it a 100 acre lake with a few fish in or a 1acre venue which is rammed with them. You will find them. Try bvaiting up a few of their reqular feeding swims. Give it a week or two they will be coming back for more. Just ring that dinner bell.

At the end of the day all you are trying to do is con the buggers into taking your bait. And if that bait looks like everything else that they feed on in the lake then you can't go wrong.

Try to keep it asa simple as possible. No need to use these funky rigs that people seem to be using. Less is more. If the lake is relatively weed free thaen keep it nice and light.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)