hard waters

marmiteboy

Roger,

We have similar problems but one of our additional problems is fishing pressure. Not as much a problem on the very big waters (by UK standards) I mentioned but still a problem. For you your fish will probably never have been fished for and hence need to be introduced to bait. That said maize seems to be pretty much instant in terms of getting carp interested. If you can spot the fish then watch what they do and where they go and then feed the spots. You can most probably sit over them in a canoe or something (?)

Rob.

Rob,

I can understand what you are saying, I mean I just pick a spot, load a in line rig with a maize ball and twenty minutes later carp on the bank, I mean it just that easy on a lot of waters.

Yes I do fish a very hard water, not too big, a limited stock of fish, but at least least fish to 50+ so yes there is a challenge.

Now I have found a water that seems to have no angling, boating or people pressure, it is very small, I have been watching the water for a few weeks now. So yes I have been on a learning curve with this thread.

Yes I am spoilt because unless fishing a competition, you will not get many anglers close to you, I do not have to plan and book a swim in advance, so yes spoiled rotten.

Here I thought when I first stated using boilies I would blank a lot be no problems the carps took to the boilies no problem. Tiger nuts are taking the South African angling over, the carp are crazy about them. I found it strange at first.

I mean our way of fishing was maize ball around the sinker, dough on the hook, no bite in say twenty mins, add a flavour, say almond, no bite colour the almond red, no bite dip it in pineapple and so until you got the fish, ok while this was happening you were feeding the swim with the maize balls. Also most of the fish are low doubles say in the 8 to 10 kg class fish, but we catch a lot so we or should I say I was quantity orientated for a long time, in the last ten years I now go for bigger fish and quality. I fish totally euro style, now that we can get all the stuff.

I used to read about tiger nuts and boilies, alarms and things but could only use what recipies that were available try to modify them to the stuff I could get here. I have even stripped electrical cables to make rig tubing, made moulds myself to make leads, used the coving for grass that the modlers use on toy train layouts to cover the weights.

Anyway a bad day at the water still beats a good days work.

Roger

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard because of the size or because of a very low fish population kestrel? I don't know of the place at all so just curious since you said it was a great looking lake.

It is a beautiful looking lake ,very natural , surrounded by trees and reedbeds etc , approx 100 acres in size , which Is a large lake over here, but also because I heard there were only approx 50 carp in it. Thats a lot of water per fish and a mighty challenge to bank one. I reckon you'd have to put in some serious fishing hours to get any sort of result.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Best piece of advice Ive ever heard in relation to big waters is to simply break them up in your mind and aproach into several smaller ones! sounds daft but try it it works!

Budgie,

That is the best approach to any big water, it is also good to get a lay of the land first, a marker float can be used to work wonders, in big water small features can make all the difference. I fish really big waters 90% of the time, it is amazing how many fish can be landed from a small indent in the bed of the swim, I mean only 2 ft drop.

Roger