Freshwater Kayaking

Marginmaster

Marginmaster & Piker gone carpin, As Martin has said, we occasionally fish Llangorse in mid Wales, and also I have a go on Coniston in the Lake District during the summer.

The kayaks give you the freedom to explore all the areas of the lakes at will, and as the gear is already aboard, you just put the rods in their holders and move swim without all the hassle usually involved when bank fishing. You will be limited to the fisheries you can fish obviously but I'm sure there will be some locally where you can gain access.

With the Sea fishing season coming to a close for me for the season (apart from the odd Dab and Whiting bash) I shall be heading back to the lakes to have another go for the Pike and Perch, and this winter I am going to have a go at Bala in North Wales.

If we can get enough interest, a freshwater meet might be on the cards this winter and perhaps we can arrange a venue and date for a winter predator bash.

A Llangorse Pike

pike017.jpg

and Bream ( Hybrid I think)

Image002.jpg

and mini Perch,

Image030.jpg

Gonna have a bigun this winter,

And an idyllic summers day on Coniston,Image026.jpg

You'll still need the basic safety gear but it's far more relaxing than a day on the briney even when the temperature is only 2 degrees above freezing :blink:

nifty :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Nifty, head East until you hit the sea and I'll take you on the Waveney, Wensum, Yare etc sometime if you fancy. My two best pike have come from somewhere I could go one way or the other on the yak, but no chance I could turn it!

So, anyone up for a 'winter piker' on the Broads? Could be a whole new thread.....

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Hey Mark,

In the words of the Village People " GO WEST" unspoilt, and plenty of turning space :D

Perhaps somewhere in between might be an idea for a winter meet :g:

Go West? fat lot of good it did for the England football 'team'...

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Hey Mark,

In the words of the Village People " GO WEST" unspoilt, and plenty of turning space :D

Perhaps somewhere in between might be an idea for a winter meet :g:

Hey Nifty and Martin M :) (and anyone else fancying it of course!)

Coniston just up the road from me :) if any of you two come up, give us a shout if you fancy some company (got no course gear but am sure I could borrow some for a day!) sounds good fun after them pike!!!! (gonna eventually try and get Prowler over to fish the lakes for some big pike so need the practice he he!)

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

Although I've been boatfishing for over 20 years it's always been from conventional craft. I haven't fished from a kayak before but it looks like a whole lot of fun! For this reason I rarely look at this Forum. However Newt has drawn my attention to this topic as I'd answered similar ones on the Coarse Fishing Forum.

Whether fishing from a boat in freshwater in England & Wales is legal (the law is different in Scotland), depends on whether the water is a public or private fishery. If it's a private fishery you can't fish the water without permission of the controller of the fishing rights. Note that whether you fish from the bank or a boat is immaterial. If the water is designated a public fishery you can fish from either bank or boat, provided of course you have a valid rod licence.

So how do you tell what type of fishery is it? Well, with a few exceptions like the Norfolk Broads the only public fisheries are tidal rivers. (Having said that, there's even the odd stretch of these that are private.) You can fish from a boat on all public fisheries, although you aren't allowed to moor up or cross private land to get access as this would be trespass.

If you do fish a private fishery you're committing a criminal offence under the Theft Act. This is regardless of whether you remove any fish. Why theft? Well, it's considered that you've stolen the fishing rights of the owner.

So to answer the specific question of whether it's legal to fish from a boat on waters where a club controls the fishing rights, the answer is no - unless of course you're a member of the club and it allows boat fishing.

Further details can be found in the excellent book "Angler's Law in England & Wales" by R.I. Millichamp.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net