PIKE WEEKEND MEET

Martin Hurst

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waaahhhay! 12 lb rods!!!! Wow, at last, someone who at last realizes what pike fishing is all about! Those Welsh girls are BIGGGG!

Up my way we see the local pikers lined up using beach casters! Yep, true! Must be the inbreeding, rampant about here, it was in the local paper. Lob out the deadbaits, set the rod tips up in the air, retire to the car, turn on the radio, get out the Stella, take a cursory glance at the rod tip to see if there is a bite. Sod it, the line has gone slack, bugger it, if a pike takes I'll soon see it. Can always drag the hooks out if it swallows the hook.

But back to the thread. Now't wrong with a 12 lb boat rod, just make sure that you have a sixty pound braid, 50 lb traces, 05 trebles, and a selection of those super large Fox pike spoons and some megga sized jerk baits.

Just a thought - but someone should maybe give the pike virgins a few tips on avoiding injury

- to the fish <_<

Had to do a 'teach in' before I was allowed to fish my society waters and I learned some valuable stuff.

Pike are VERY delicate fish and will die easily if handled badly :(

Traces - make your own 25lb BS and 24" long if dead / livebaiting for them.

Barbless / crushed trebles are safer and make unhooking a hell of a lot easier.

Always field test rigs on the line before casting. A lost trace with trebles stuck in a bait is a DEATH SENTANCE for a pike. :(

Unhooking - either do it in the water next to the boat or do it on a BIG unhooking mat. ( You don't want flying trebles making holes in you / your kit if they start thrashing around on your lap !

Would you be comfortable hoisting a twenty ( dream on ) full of sharp teeth aboard and removing a trace ?

You will need 12" forceps for this.

Pike will swallow a bait pretty quick and its NO FUN removing trebles from deep hooked fish - for you or them - so strike at the first indication of a pickup or run.

15lb mono is the minimum we are allowed to fish with.

I'm no expert but I've done all of the above ( except the 'twenty' bit :rolleyes: ).

If you haven't handled pike before and you are'nt sure what to do let someone who has help you.

Pike have suffered very badly from 'poor angling practice' over the years. :(

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Just a thought - but someone should maybe give the pike virgins a few tips on avoiding injury

- to the fish <_<

Had to do a 'teach in' before I was allowed to fish my society waters and I learned some valuable stuff.

Pike are VERY delicate fish and will die easily if handled badly :(

Traces - make your own 25lb BS and 24" long if dead / livebaiting for them.

Barbless / crushed trebles are safer and make unhooking a hell of a lot easier.

Always field test rigs on the line before casting. A lost trace with trebles stuck in a bait is a DEATH SENTANCE for a pike. :(

Unhooking - either do it in the water next to the boat or do it on a BIG unhooking mat. ( You don't want flying trebles making holes in you / your kit if they start thrashing around on your lap !

Would you be comfortable hoisting a twenty ( dream on ) full of sharp teeth aboard and removing a trace ?

You will need 12" forceps for this.

Pike will swallow a bait pretty quick and its NO FUN removing trebles from deep hooked fish - for you or them - so strike at the first indication of a pickup or run.

15lb mono is the minimum we are allowed to fish with.

I'm no expert but I've done all of the above ( except the 'twenty' bit :rolleyes: ).

If you haven't handled pike before and you are'nt sure what to do let someone who has help you.

Pike have suffered very badly from 'poor angling practice' over the years. :(

I am a virgin :unsure: a PIKE one i mean :clap2:

Going to get a crash course from you lot on friday night i hope?

Do i need to buy huge forceps?

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

When Pike fishing I find the most enjoyable method is lure fishing. I usually use a baker hook out or pliers to release the fish (all the trebles are barbless or debarbed, I once had a size 6 barbed treble in my thumb up to the bend :blink: ) I usually keep the fish in the water grip the treble and twist, the weight of the pike then frees the hook. usually the fish will swim away immediately but sometimes they have to be held by the waist at the tail to let them recover. I always slacken the clutch on my reel when the pike is alongside so that if they do thrash around and I cannot control it i simply let go (a rod leash helps).If In the rare instance that the hook cannot be cleanly removed I push the point through and use the pliers to cut it off (also useful to remove hook from arm, leg, clothing etc.) There is no big deal with handling the fish don't be too timid and if confident enough small fish can be firmly gripped at the shoulder. It takes practice (and shredded fingers) to pick them up by the groove before the gills but is good because the fish is then in middair and cannot lever against anything, but watch the mouth!! I am sure that you guys that catch tope etc will have no problems!

OC PROWLER 13 ANGLER

A bad day's fishing is a good day's Yakking!

Good idea Phooey, you have just lined yourself up to give everyone a run through on the does and don'ts, I've not caught a Pike since I was about 10, not for the lack of trying on the Thames ehh :D my guide was having a bad day as well, should have been here on Friday :D So I could do with some brushing up.

We don't want to get a bad name when we hit the water over the weekend.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Good idea Phooey, you have just lined yourself up to give everyone a run through on the does and don'ts,

We don't want to get a bad name when we hit the water over the weekend.

SM :)

Well, like I said I'm no expert and there's bound to be ppl WAY ahead of me -but I'm happy to give a splurge to anyone that cares to listen :2:

Thing is where kit is concerned ( traces / hooks ) you need 'em before you get to the Lodge !

Edited by phooey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Well, like I said I'm no expert and there's bound to be ppl WAY ahead of me -but I'm happy to give a splurge to anyone that cares to listen :2:

Thing is where kit is concerned ( traces / hooks ) you need 'em before you get to the Lodge !

I'm probably the biggest novice having never fished in a puddle before,but I'll have all my traces ready and will be glad to listen to any fish handling tips :thumbs:

what I really want to know though is if Martin has arranged the TARTS! :D

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph