PIKE WEEKEND MEET

Martin Hurst

Phooey,

Looks like me and you might have to pay a visit to Bordon Angling for a bit of gear (think they stock frozen bait as well) :)

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone mention Tarts? :P Thanks for the cheques fellas. Confirmed Myself , nifty , Richie , Phooey , GB , S2vto , Starvin , markj. and darnsarf

Simon ( def i think?). If Margin master and paintfly could confirm one way or the other I'd be grateful as a couple have pm'd me wanting to tag along but I want to keep numbers at around 10-12 so not to antagonise other lake users!

Ok Prowler 13

someone mention Tarts? :P Thanks for the cheques fellas. Confirmed Myself , nifty , Richie , Phooey , GB , S2vto , Starvin , markj. and darnsarf

Simon ( def i think?). If Margin master and paintfly could confirm one way or the other I'd be grateful as a couple have pm'd me wanting to tag along but I want to keep numbers at around 10-12 so not to antagonise other lake users!

I have no idea about pike traces etc so hoping to beg/borrow/steal/buy them on the weekend. Pointless me getting the wrong stuff!

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

I know from following lots of threads that everybody who uses this site is conservation minded, but I would just like to add a few points about handling pike. There's no problem with chinning them out although you might want to use a glove to get a better grip under their gill cover, but I see a lot of people who lift them all the way out of the water one handed. Please don't, because this puts too much strain on their back bones and many fish that appear to go back OK, later die. This is especially true of the bigger fish that are all female. The correct way to do it is to get a good grip under their gill cover and then support the fish with the other hand about two thirds of the way down its body. The other thing about pike is that they don't support being out of the water for too long so get the camera ready and happy fishing. I wish I was joining you but I still haven't got round to buying that first kayak yet. Should be plenty of hard feeding fish around at that time.

Cant get on at home so can only post at work. Really looking forward to this. But as a complete freshwater virgin never mind Pike I will take all the advice and instruction I can get. Fishing partner would be good particularly if a tart.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Really looking forward to this. But as a complete freshwater virgin never mind Pike I will take all the advice and instruction I can get. Fishing partner would be good particularly if a tart.

I second that!

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

can you catch em on a mackie flapper and a conger trace :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Were I going I'd be bringing smelt, mackerel (small, whole), lamprey, sardines and a bunch of lures (especially Storm perch and roach, 4" for casting and some floating/shallow diving plugs for trolling with).

I use 40lb braid (just changed from 15lb mono) and a 20-30lb 7 strand wire trace (18" minimum). 2 size 4 trebles for live/dead baiting. Bunch of floats and legers and you're there pretty much.

I have two pairs long forceps, one straight, one curved. One pair needle-nose pliers, one pair of wire cutters - rather lose part of a hook than a fish, have had trouble with them caught in landing nets - and some scissors, scales and an unhooking mat (£8 from argos for one that doubles as a cushion and can go over my legs when boarding a pike). Personally I am going to be taking a landing net with me in future until I am happy chinning from a yak.

Look after the pike and ask for help the first few times or whenever you feel it's useful - no one will think less of you. If the worst comes to the worst and it is damaged then if small it is a great bait for larger pike (they are cannibalistic) and if big enough to fillet a great meal when baked with lemon, salt, mint and olive oil. Can't vouch for lake pike but river ones are certainly very good and the one I was forced to knock on the head was not at all muddy. Watch for the tiny 'Y bones' or see the various sites online on how to fillet them out. While not advocating killing them I advocate not wasting them if you do. Beats the hell out of trout IMO too.

When unhooked, if not done in the water, place your hands under to support it until it swims out of them under its own steam. I personally wouldn't unhook in the water as another may make a grab for it and you may get your hand in the way or the pike may get a chunk out of it and die as well. great way of attracting pike (wounded/stress vibrations etc) but not a good result if either of those things happen - and they do. Ok, it may happen when supporting when you slip it back but there's less time involved.

Ultimately I wish you all a very very enjoyable weekend of piking which I am quite gutted at being absent from. ah well, needs must. If anyone wants to have a taste beforehand in Norfolk/Suffolk on a Wednesday or Thursday PM me and I'll be more than happy to take you out from the bank or yak to find some and show you how I get to grips with them. Be firm and confident but not brutal and things will be fine.

Oh, and strike sooner rather than later. If deephooked consider going ashore. Can't think of any other advice at this moment.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

The most important piece of kit anyone will need if they're unfortunate enough to be sharing a room with me is : EAR DEFENDERS :lol:

Just ask those that know me from the Tywyn meets and pitch they're tents at the other end of the site :huh: