1000,000 to 2000,000 RSA,s?

sam-cox

So we agree that if rod licences are on the menu everyone nation wide has to have one :lol:

I guess we also agree that any conservation measures put in place are done so on a species bases area to area. :lol: To be honest I do not see how it would possible to do it any other way, if you look at fresh water game fishing that is how it is applied.

By the way my local area has two conservation areas in place already and I believe there are others on the Devon and Cormwall coast.

The ones in my area work well, they are bass conservtion areas, you can fish from the shore line but not from a boat within the defined area. It works well as I have never seen anyone abusing the bylaw.

I am sure this is why it is almost impossible to blank when fishing the adjacent surf beaches, I just hope that the abundance of current small fish are allowed to grow on to a decent size. This is where the Golden Mile should be supported throughout the UK.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure this is why it is almost impossible to blank when fishing the adjacent surf beaches, I just hope that the abundance of current small fish are allowed to grow on to a decent size. This is where the Golden Mile should be supported throughout the UK.

Not sure what you mean by that ken. Anyone fishing inside a mile here are either crab potters or salmon netters, They cause little threat to our fishing. If you want a golden mile for your area I would support you in that. For my area its a complete waste of time and would damage the livlihoods of the salmoners who have fished in the same way for generations and done no harm to any fish stock at all - except perhaps the salmon. Once again another case of one size does not fit all. Dont assume that what happenes in front of your face happens everywhere, it doesnt.

Secondly Ken The only problem I would have with the amount of cod displayed on John Brennans boat was if it went to waste or their was an illegal practice behind it - which I know there most definately wasnt. Believe me Ken that amount of fish is miniscule in the greater scheme of things. If what we hear is correct an eyemouth pair team had almost 8000 stone overnight only last week, half will have gone back dead. Whilst challenge perhaps shouldnt have posted what he did in relative terms it's nothing, yes its a good days fishing but damaging to fish stocks I dont think so Ken. If you want to find a stick to beat me with youll have to try a little harder Ken you really are clueless to the relative scale of things.

The relative proportion of fish we take is what its all about we can't, as anglers be demanding that the commercial fleet reduces its take and ourselves and just carry on as usual. obviously we can't reduce our take by 1000s of tinnes per year but we can reduce our take by a relative amount. We must show willing ourselves if we ever expect to be taken seriously by government and the commercial sector.

Angling pressure can and does have an effect on fish stocks(particularly in a localised area)and you have to realise that John Brennan,s boat is the only one doing this sort of fishing, at the moment, my biggest worry about this sort of "advertising" is before long there will be a whole flotilla of East coast charter vessels gearing up to offer these sort of trips and then we may very well see them having an effect on the fish stocks in the area. We have seen enough manmade destruction, to the environment, in the past and I find it amazing that we stil have this "we will sort it out when it becomes a problem" attitude to conservation, rather then a more pro-active one.

At the moment anglers are free to do pritty much what we like, as soon as a lisence comes in we will be bound by law to comply with the conditions of the lisence.

Restrictions like bag limits and MPA,s, NTZ,s could work if commercial activity is also restricted. But while the polititions are up the commercials jacksys we aint gonna get nout.

My point is really are there enough anglers who give a monkeys to stear these polititions in the right direction. From what I see when Im out fishing there sure as hell aint!

Imagine one day fishing your local mark, this could be an up river bass mark (like a lot of mine). Then a man comes along and says sorry mate you cant fish here its a MPA. Thats what we could possably end up with.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

My point is really are there enough anglers who give a monkeys to stear these polititions in the right direction. From what I see when Im out fishing there sure as hell aint!

Imagine one day fishing your local mark, this could be an up river bass mark (like a lot of mine). Then a man comes along and says sorry mate you cant fish here its a MPA. Thats what we could possably end up with.

Sam, the penny has finally dropped mate, 'no one gives a monkeys', the answer, I have posted it her, as have a few other, but no one is listening, there seems to be a lot of 'monkeys' about :lol:

Fishing marks, a boat will probably be the answer? A sad, sad end :(

Personally, I'm letting it all drop, run out of being interested, when no one listens!!

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

Not sure what you mean by that ken. Anyone fishing inside a mile here are either crab potters or salmon netters, They cause little threat to our fishing. If you want a golden mile for your area I would support you in that. For my area its a complete waste of time and would damage the livlihoods of the salmoners who have fished in the same way for generations and done no harm to any fish stock at all - except perhaps the salmon. Once again another case of one size does not fit all. Dont assume that what happenes in front of your face happens everywhere, it doesnt.
Now you have the cheek to say I talk about things I know nothing about. :lol:

Perhaps you should pay a visit to South Wales or the South coast to see what is happening within the one mile zone.

Secondly Ken The only problem I would have with the amount of cod displayed on John Brennans boat was if it went to waste or their was an illegal practice behind it - which I know there most definately wasnt. Believe me Ken that amount of fish is miniscule in the greater scheme of things. If what we hear is correct an eyemouth pair team had almost 8000 stone overnight only last week, half will have gone back dead. Whilst challenge perhaps shouldnt have posted what he did in relative terms it's nothing, yes its a good days fishing but damaging to fish stocks I dont think so Ken. If you want to find a stick to beat me with youll have to try a little harder Ken you really are clueless to the relative scale of things.

How many trips a year do those guys put in? Just one, maybe two or could it be several?

I'm not as daft as you may think, I read the whole of that thread and people were talking about freezing it and it would last several months and so on, and I'm sat here thinking does everyone believe these guys are only doing one trip per year :lol::lol:

I don't need a stick to beat anyone with and I was certainly not using one on you. :lol:

The stick to be beaten with was the post not me. :lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

The Golden Mile proposals are not about stopping all fishing activity but angling in the golden mile.

See: http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/The_Golden_Mile.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Sorry Leon I just dont understand what you mean.

I thought the golden mile were about stopping commercial activity ? and illegal netting etc inside of a mile ?

And My point was thats a waste of time here as the effect of anyone doing those activities inside of a mile is limited if not non existaent. Except the Salmon fishers who do little damage to anything. I realise you probably would not be able to restrict their activity anyway.

Do I have that wrong ?

I read your article and have a couple of points to raise

And not all areas are equally rich in fish, or at all times of the year, which is why you will see anglers crowded together on piers, or fishing close together on beaches, with miles of coastline that is hardly fished by anglers at all.
Not necaserrily so Leon. This runs true for my area - perhaps not for you. People fish piers beaches etc because it is easy, they feel safe and they are more likely to see other anglers and people they know. These type of anglers are in it as much for the social aspects as the fish. To be honest they would be better fishing those bits of coast where you never see anyone - they have more fish there - I know becasue thats what I do. Piers and beaches are not the most productive places I know - they have their days but there are far betyter places to fish.

At the end of an unproductive session, there is nothing worse than to see nets revealed by the falling tide, just beyond casting range, closing off the beach being fished to any reasonable sized fish that might otherwise have taken the angler’s bait.

Or to have excitedly planned a trip for a week or two, settled down to fish, and then have a trawler come close in, often within casting range, and sweep the sea clean in front of you.

This is not true here Leon. The ground is such that it is too difficult to trawl inside that 1 mile in a lot of places and the places they could get in arent worth the effort. There is more productive fishing between 2-10 mile. Secondly there is a perception amongst anglers locally that every ender they sea is a net. It isnt they are crab pots. The amount of people who net inside a mile here is probably 0. There is the odd longliner may work inside of a mile through the winter months but if I was asked if I wanted a golden mile or longliners my vote would be with the commercial lads on that one.

No doubt other areas are very different and this type of thing happens, but not here.

Please remember when writing these things that not everything is as you experience it in your neck of the woods or the places you visit.

Edited by glennk

Guest challenge

quote glenk.This is not true here Leon. The ground is such that it is too difficult to trawl inside that 1 mile in a lot of places and the places they could get in arent worth the effort. There is more productive fishing between 2-10 mile. Secondly there is a perception amongst anglers locally that every ender they sea is a net. It isnt they are crab pots. The amount of people who net inside a mile here is probably 0. There is the odd longliner may work inside of a mile through the winter months but if I was asked if I wanted a golden mile or longliners my vote would be with the commercial lads on that one.

No doubt other areas are very different and this type of thing happens, but not here.

Please remember when writing these things that not everything is as you experience it in your neck of the woods or the places you visit.

This post has been edited by glennk: Today, 04:19 PM

glenk

I would say that it must be the same from the north side of the wash down as far as Berwick or even further north.

regards.

Edited by challenge

Im not actually clear in my own mind here what your individual issue is with this Ken. Is it the greed of the anglers ? the potential effect on the north sea cod stock, both ? or something else.

Ken I dont know how many trips those guys make - I dont know them . If they were going several times a year and doing it for profit then you are right and that is very wrong - just like anyone else I dont like greed and I dont like waste. As a one off they probably get enough fillets to feed themselves and a few neighbours (or the old people) for a few months - just means they dont go to Morrisons and buy it off the fish monger there. The only point I make is that taking those fish is not impacting on the overall north sea stock. If there was 200 boats doing the same thing day in day out - 7-7 - 365 days a year then yes but there isnt, Chieftain as they say is the only person fishing those grounds and although they might not choose to admit it there will also be days when they never see a fish at all - also take into consideration that for a big chunk of the year they cant venture far at all thanks to the inclement weather they get here through the winter months.

No doubt the post wasnt John's wisest move, On a forum where everyone is so conservation minded and so few have an understanding of what actually happens in the north sea, but for some reason I find myself defending him. I must agree with the point he makes.

Im heading out now. Got a match tonight. Not very hopefull due top the tides.

Cheers - Glenn

Edited by glennk