winter carp fishing

kestrel

I usually go pike and zander fishing in winter , because of the mild weather we are experiencing I may go for 24 hour session carping this winter instead.

In your experiences is it worth carp fishing in winter or will I be wasting my time ?

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it all comes down to the ‘worth’ bit.

It’s what the individual angler considers to be ‘worth it’ that dictates how they spend their time – one fish banked over the winter period, ten fish, or maybe more.

In years gone by I’ve fished specimen carp waters that totally switch off during the winter, proper headbangers where quite literally, one fish off during the winter is a major achievement, yet, I could just have easily fished the Stock Pond 200 yards away where I could have had ten smaller fish every session, so I guess it just depends how you value a catch.

Aside from conditions, the overall feeding patterns during winter will be dictated by the stock density, so find a water with a good head off fish and you should stand a much better chance, whatever the conditions.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the time like I used to, so any winter fishing I manage to get in this year will be short session stuff, a few hours here and there. I always like a challenge though, so I’m be hoping to resurrect my surface fishing challenge from last winter and bank one off the top in the months that I did not manage through last winter.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Well this year is going to be a BIG NO for me, having had two really poor winters in a row (hardish syndicate which shuts down cos no other idiot fishes it, the bait stops going in the fish stop moving) I'm going to buy a Kayak and go Piking on the Avon and Severn. I'll change Forums for the winter !!!

I guess it all comes down to the ‘worth’ bit.

It’s what the individual angler considers to be ‘worth it’ that dictates how they spend their time – one fish banked over the winter period, ten fish, or maybe more.

In years gone by I’ve fished specimen carp waters that totally switch off during the winter, proper headbangers where quite literally, one fish off during the winter is a major achievement, yet, I could just have easily fished the Stock Pond 200 yards away where I could have had ten smaller fish every session, so I guess it just depends how you value a catch.

Aside from conditions, the overall feeding patterns during winter will be dictated by the stock density, so find a water with a good head off fish and you should stand a much better chance, whatever the conditions.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the time like I used to, so any winter fishing I manage to get in this year will be short session stuff, a few hours here and there. I always like a challenge though, so I’m be hoping to resurrect my surface fishing challenge from last winter and bank one off the top in the months that I did not manage through last winter.

I have a water in mind but don't know how much attention the water gets and how much bait goes in. There is a decent stocking of carp and various depths from 3 - 18 feet . I want to get a feel for how many fish people catch in winter compared to the cold of winter. You are right 1 fish may be considered a real achievement on some waters and 20 may be a poor return.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I still fish all winter, but due to other comittments, I don't get out tons. I will be out this winter but I'm going to try an even harder water - mainly because it has a fair head of pike as well. That said the last winter carp I caught was about 4 years ago. It all depends on what makes you tick at the end of the day.

Rob.

im goin to try for carp for the first time this year aswell if udont put no freebies down and use either corn or boilies on a hair rig i think u should catch;) and also does any1 no where there might be a good chance of a pike or 2 down south? (portsmouth area)

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

I fish right through the winter for carp. Admittedly there is a good stock of fish, but I have caught when the water temp is down to 38F.

Only do the days though, and swap swims a lot,so I can move on to any fish I see showing.

Most "modern" carp feed right through, and are even active under ice!, so it is not even due to warmer winters.

Fish a popup, and be confident enough to leave it without recasting (unless a fish shows somewhere else :)

Old idea I know, but midday to 3.30ish, after dark may as well go home (like I do :) )

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Is it worth it? For me, a big no! Unless you're a single-species angler I can't see the point when there are other fish like roach, chub, pike, perch, zeds, etc to go after. Save it for the summer and autumn and save your sanity!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Is it worth it?? Hell yeah, went out last winter in Febuary. I enfudred wind, rain, hail, sleat and a bad frost, but i caught one fish a lovely ten pound common, not the biggest fisah but there is something special about catching a carp when all around you is white and cold, it really takes your breath away. I will be going in Febuary this year for the whole weekend. I prefer fishing the winter as it really tries your skills as an angler or may be its just because i am a freak.

STC :crazy:

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

I tend to pack in carp fishing at the beginning of november, then switch over to pike and a bit of sea fishing until about april. I have tried carp fishing all through winter, but with little success.

I always look forward to the changeover, it's like a whole new fishing season about to start, then comes spring and i'm full of enthusiasm for carp again.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..