winter carp fishing

kestrel

I tend to pack in carp fishing at the beginning of november, then switch over to pike and a bit of sea fishing until about april. I have tried carp fishing all through winter, but with little success.

I always look forward to the changeover, it's like a whole new fishing season about to start, then comes spring and i'm full of enthusiasm for carp again.

Paul.

Thats exactly how I usually feel about Carp and Pike fishing.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love winter fishing for carp, mainly because the waters are quiet, bankswise and boats. So I watch the water, find the carps little cosy winter nook. I use a pva bag so not too many freebies and the hook bait. The carp still feed even in cold water, maybe not as much, they also are more inclined to feed if they do not have to really look for the food. So try to put it under the carps nose if you can. You will be surprised at the rewards you get.

Roger

I love winter fishing for carp, mainly because the waters are quiet, bankswise and boats. So I watch the water, find the carps little cosy winter nook. I use a pva bag so not too many freebies and the hook bait. The carp still feed even in cold water, maybe not as much, they also are more inclined to feed if they do not have to really look for the food. So try to put it under the carps nose if you can. You will be surprised at the rewards you get.

Roger

That sounds good to me , less people fishing and more swims to choose from. I am going to give it a go this winter . Pike fishing now officially on hold !

I know it gets dark really early , I'll just have to make sure I have loads of spare batteries and gas for lights ,radio and burner ! I have winter clothes ,decent sleeping bag and thermal bedchair cover so I'll be warm enough.

Anyone know whats the best attack with regards to bait ? Sweet or Fishy boilies ? Pile it in or small amounts ? Any help would be appreciated.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Anyone know whats the best attack with regards to bait ? Sweet or Fishy boilies ? Pile it in or small amounts ? Any help would be appreciated.

Remember that the fish are far less active and won't eat much. It's sensible therefore to apply small amounts of bait. My approach this winter will be groundbait balls and just a few boilies. The theory is lots of attraction but very small amounts of actual 'food'.

Rob.

I use a pva bag so not too many freebies and the hook bait.

Probably a good time to point out that PVA bag selection can be important at this time of year. Colder water means that the PVA bags take longer to break down, so it may be worth spending money on the best you can, rather than leaving your baits covered in gunk for hours. If in doubt, be extravagant and chuck one in the margins and observe. It'll be warmer there, probably, so your actual offering will take even longer.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Probably a good time to point out that PVA bag selection can be important at this time of year. Colder water means that the PVA bags take longer to break down, so it may be worth spending money on the best you can, rather than leaving your baits covered in gunk for hours. If in doubt, be extravagant and chuck one in the margins and observe. It'll be warmer there, probably, so your actual offering will take even longer.

I cannot agree with you more on that point, I use the Korda funnel web. The one for boilies and it takes about two and a half mins to disolve. it is small bags that I use not many freebies maybe ten boilies or so. I also use smaller boilies 14 mm. I try to make sure the boilies have a high oil/flavour content as well. The theory being high attraction so the carp being lazy, do not have to look far the more nutrious the bait the better the results imo.

Has anyone found that pva when used with tiger nuts does not seem to disolve???.....

Roger

If using boilies go for one of the winter mixes and pile the bait in for now as the Carp will be feeding up for the winter and then when the temps start to really drop lower the amount of bait you put in. :)

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

If using boilies go for one of the winter mixes and pile the bait in for now as the Carp will be feeding up for the winter and then when the temps start to really drop lower the amount of bait you put in. :)

Can anyone recommend a good winter type boilie ?

Whats the difference between boilies in respect of summer or winter use ?

is no difference i dont think just tactics for my im gonna use pop ups and hi vis boilies fruity on 1 rod fishy on the other i tend to go for 2 10mm boilies on a hair because my theory is u only want a little bit of groundbait out that and a little boilie as bait so its a nice mouthfall for the carp cause in some places u will find that if u have a bed of bait the carp will take a mouthfall miss ure bait and move on

hope this helps

jay harris!

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Can anyone recommend a good winter type boilie ?

Whats the difference between boilies in respect of summer or winter use ?

My winter boilies of choice are pineapple flavour, they seem to work well in winter. I think it's something to do with their ability to leak flavour even at low temperatures. Another flavour worth a go is good old tutti frutti, always seems to do the business.

Some people don't advocate the use of fishmeal type boilies in winter due to their high oil content and the carp's inability to digest them quickly. I don't see the problem using them so long as you're only fishing singles or stringers and not piling it in.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..