#1 bigbub

bigbub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Fishing - calms mind and soul

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hi,

Going on Holiday to Turkey in summer (July-August) and was wondering if any one could tell me bout the fishing there, like what species to fish for, best types of fishing and best places. Im staying in the Sarigerme/Dalaman area

Many thanks

Ben

#2 bigbub

bigbub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Fishing - calms mind and soul

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

#3 Vagabond

Vagabond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,988 posts
  • Interests:Angling, Ichthyology

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

Turkey is another country I have never visited, but the advice I gave re your Ionian islands trip would still hold good.

There seems very little advice on the internet - this is the only remotely useful link I could find.

http://www.turkishli...ing-turkey.html

......and don't forget you probably need a licence - tourists are rarely asked to show one, but in case you encounter an over-zealous policeman, it's best to be on the safe side.

Edited by Vagabond, 11 February 2015 - 08:15 AM.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .
Certhia's world species - 215
Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato
...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

#4 philocalist

philocalist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Interests:Ex pro photographer, now designing websites! Lure fishing, predators and centrepins :-)

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

Only experience I have is limited, and closer to Fethiye, though that's not too far away. Where we were there seemed to be plenty of smaller species within a 30 - 40m cast of the beach / rocks - closer still with a float off the rocks, though fish tended to be smaller - less than maybe 2lbs in weight, and very varied, though caution might be prudent, as it was not unusual to be sat quietly and notice the appearance of large lizards, and on occasion a LARGE adder-like snake - I'm talking maybe 5 feet long and as thick as my forearm!

There seemed to be a lot of freshwater 'streams' - probably no more than irrigation ditches, where we were, and where they entered the sea was usually quite productive - their waters were clear, though fish within them were small, and smaller turtle-like beasties quite abundent. The wrong time of day would see these thick with mozzies though, and although these were repeatedly sprayed at night while we were there, you DO NOT want to be anywhere in the vicinity when it happens   ...   no consideration at all is given for people in the area, and we got caught once - it's nasty, nasty stuff!

A better bet overall was to try and locate an inland stillwater, and fish for the bass   ...   the question of a licence etc was never raised (by anyone), but that's not to say they were not needed at some point.

A small point, but at that time of the year it is seriously hot - too much so to be sat in the open, fishing!