river fal

runrig

hi, could anyone help plz. i am staying in a cottage on the river fal in june. i have a rod and reel, but would be grateful of any help on what line, rigs, bait/lures to use. am i likely to catch any flatties?

Hi runrig and welcome to AnglersNet.

I imagine most folks are asleep by now and the forums are often slow on weekends but stay with us and someone who knows the area will surely give you some ideas.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hi runrig,

i had to work diving in the fal, for a while several years back. i remember there was abundant fish life of all sorts,i remember particularly a basking shark swimming past me one day!i hope it remains as nice today. there are bound to be some people with up to date info on here. best wishes dave. :)

Hi runrig

Have fished the Fal many times and it has a really wide variety of fishing. These go from the upper reaches and creeks where flounder can be found to the very deep parts down by the ferry where you can catch conger, yes conger.

So, it really depends on where you are staying and what type of fishing you want to do. However, in June there won't be many flounder about but a lot of Bass from 1lb - 3lb from typical flounder marks, ie in the creeks.

If you are fishing from some of the more deeper spots then you will find Gar and Mackerel and perhaps Bass in the surface levels, ie float fishing or spinning. Whereas from the same marks bottom fishing could turn up just about anything including, Doggies, Bass, Pollack, Scad, Huss, Thornback, Whiting etc. The deeper water marks can be very exciting after dark as you really never know what is there.

I have fished from the port area, on the opposite side from the St.Mawes area (castle point) and Restronguet point/Loe Beach are good areas. Also, further up in the winter from Turnaware Point.

A lot of fishing marks from the lower reaches of the river, especially what is known as 'carrick roads' fishes into very deep water. So, if you are staying in this area I would suggest either pennel rigs, sliding ledgers or two hook paternosters.

It is a great place to fish and dare I say it a very underfished area. You should have a great time. Don't forget also you are very close to some other great fishing marks anywhere from Zone Point all the way in around Gerrans bay to Nare Head is superb sea fishing country to the east of Falmouth. To the west, all the way around Falmouth Bay, the Helford river estuary, past Black Head down to the Lizard Point, superb also.

Hope this helps.

yaskalos, thanks for your informative reply. i am new to salt water fishing, but am looking forward to it. at the cottage we are staying at, the garden goes down to the river, it is at trefussis point in flushing. we have been on a boat trip up the carrick roads past all the little creeks. it is a lovely place. i will problem

yaskalos, oops, sorry, lol. what i was going to say was, i will probably hire a rowing boat from mylor for the holiday, have done that b4. could you give me any idea of what bait or lures to use. sorry to be a pain, i am only used to sitting by a pond catching the odd carp! lol.

Runrig. I grew up in Mylor Bridge, many of the family still live down there.

For the thornbacks you need quite strong tackle - use a big peeler crab on the bottom - running leger set up. Much the same for everything else when bottom fishing. Fish will also catch them (mackerel. Use half of a fillet. On the flesh side there is a line runing length of fillet which is the change of grain in the muscle. Use this as a cutting line and cut lengthways along the fillet.) Hook just twice. Go through from flesh to skin, then back from skin side to flesh side. The bait should then be run up the hook so first entry point is forced over the hook eye. The pont of the hook should be coming out of the fleshy side and a quick tie of bait elastic round the top of the bait holds it up the hook and stops it bunching on the bend.

If you have carp gear my suggestion, especially as the garden runs down to the tide line, would be to grond bait profusely for two days with a bread mash and then fish like you would for carp - small hook (#12) baited with bread flake. Your target is the multitude of creek mullet that are in the river system from April/May onwards. If you hook a 4lb mullet I hope you have plenty of line on your reel! They go like an express train. If you float fish, fish very light, they are shy takers and the resistance of a float will put them off. They also grub about on the bottom. One of the hardest figting fish in our waters - that same 4lbr will take 50 yards off you in one run. Use at least 6lb main line and a very fine (fluorcarbon) trace - hook link.

From the deep water marks at first light you can catch mackerel by spinning - as Yaskalos says the rocks under Pendennis Castle are a good spot, but so too is Swan Beach. Buy a couple of 20g ABU Tobies - a silver one and a black and gold one. You can use your carp gear to spin with these too. Cast out as far as you can, count to 10, then reel in at a steady beat of about 1 turn per second to start with - watch the lure and if it needs a bit more speed adjust accordingly. If nothing after 6 casts counting to 10, count to 15 and so on. A count of 30 will probably have you snagged. Pollack, Bass, mackerel, garfish will all take the Toby especially first thing in the morning - or the last two hours of the flood. Best time is first light for 3 hours ( so in June that is from 3 o'clock to just before breakfast! and then again las knockings - 10pm through to dark.) The pollack come up in the water column as the light fades - BUT strangely they are attracted by shoreside lights. Casting the Toby off the beach works just as well - but you don't have the same depth of water. You just have to experiment with your counts, and rememeber what works.

Good luck.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo