river fal

runrig

Hi Runrig

Simon has said all I would have said regarding bait apart from one thing. If you intend to hire a boat then fishing with live sandeel can be very effective for many species.

You could try it either at anchor or drifting with the tide. Also, this could be done ledger fished on the bottom, or using your carp gear with a few split shot and allowing the eel to swim freely. Sandeel is very good for many species including ray, bass, mackerel and pollock.

Hi Runrig,

As Yaskalos and Simon have given you a wealth of information, I can only add a couple of ideas that may be of use.

It may well be worth a trip to the rocks around Pendennis Point, there is a free car park (although it can get busy from April onwards) You can pick up a variety of species including Mackeral, Doggies, Bullhuss, Wrasse and Bass.

Fish baits work well for most, although I have had most of my Wrasse on ragworm, fished 30-40 yards out. If you need a supply of bait, try Andy at The Tackle Box in Swanpool Street in Falmouth. Tel. 01326 315849.

If you intend fishing a bit further afield and are considering Loe Bar as mentioned by Yaskalos, then please be careful, as the beach there is very steeply shelving and dangerous. If you have children with you, then I would suggest that you do not let them near the water.

Enjoy your stay!! :):):)

At Mylor harbour you will find a fishmongers shop , the owners son conducts bass trips from his boat. They also (obviously ) sell fish and at what prices....£5.00 for 12 giant scallops, monster sole and monkfish etc. The lady and I ate soooo well while there.

Most of the people you meet will be second home owners from the smoke mind so might not have much info.

Nice trip we had. Cannot recall the name of the place but rock fishing at,I think, Flushing can produce the goods, ask in the tackle shop in Falmouth.

Thank you all for your comprehensive replies. i am a lady fresh water fisherperson, so had no idea about the sea fishing, but am looking forward to giving it a go. one more stupid question tho! i have a nice sea rod, but someone has given me a reel, they didn't know if it was a sea or freshwater reel, how can i tell? all i know is it's a darn sight bigger than the ones i use for course fishing. it's a galion 44r, does that help?

Given that there is almost no internet information on that reel and that there are none for sale on eBay, it may well be old enough to be a collectable and worth some money. Not sure.

For now, I think I'd fish with something a bit newer.

Fixed spool or multiplier rod?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Fixed spool or multiplier

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President