Portland Conger bash - Report.

phooey

Richi and me drove down last night intending to fish Ringstead bay - but its a bit of a trek from the car park to the beach - very like a mini Kimmeridge for those that know it - and the westerly wind made the pitch unplayable :(

Looking to our right we saw portland and decided to stick that twixt the elements and us :)

We happened on a perfect launch site - FREE parking, Slipway and about as sheltered a launch as you could hope for as its all within the harbour walls. :sun:

Paddling out the depth went down to 40 feet almost straight away and stayed there until we paddled out of the SOUTH entrance. Tall peeps beware on high tides as there is a power cable strung across it !

Paddling up the East side of Portland the depth just 60 meters out varies from 20 - 40 feet and 200 meters out I saw over 70 on the FF.

Its quite rocky on the bottom and I lost 3 rigs ( to Richi's 2 ).

Not the place to drop an anchor but fear not our friendly potters have left us plenty of Yak parking beacons :)

Right - the fishing report...

We were fishing just 80 meters apart I was in 35' of water and Richi 40'.

We started fishing just as the light faded and had nothing for what seemed hours ( and prolly was ) then I hear Richi shout " CONGER ! "

Great at least they're here, or over where Richi is to be exact.

I fish on...and on...and ...decide to change my spot.

It worked !

60 yards or so past 'golden ****s' and off goes rod number 2 - its a typical 'conger' smash and grab bite and that familiar 'jiggling' on the end of the line and I knew I had opened the score sheet. 1-1 :)

Richi meantime has stuck another in the net while I wasn't looking - all I can say is wait for the pictures !!

He said it took a squid bait and as I had 2 macky out and a 3rd rod sat doing nothing I stuck a lead on it and a couple of squid and chucked them over the side.

I eventually dozed off and was woken by the feel of the rod jumping around in my hands - I struck into the fish and felt the satisfying bend - a decent fish !

And it was, a Bass - measured at 70cm on the nose :yeah:

Richi had some more stuff throughout the rest of the night including a Ling if my fishing ID is up to scratch. Other common names include: American Burbot, Cusk, Dogfish, Eelpout, Freshwater Cod, Freshwater Codfish, Freshwater Crusk, Gudgeon, Lawyer, Ling, Lingcod, Loche, Lush (Alaska), Maria, Methy, Mother Eel, Mud Blower, Spineless Catfish, Lake (Swe)

I was hammered by doggies until we had both had enough at around 4.30am and we upped sticks and paddled for home.

Thats about 12 hrs on the water and it was GREAT !

Well sheltered, good to launch, lots of species to go for - if Christchurch is'nt fishable Portland might be a good 2nd choice and its just 30 miles down the coast.

Now, where's that Richi bloke ?

I left him sleeping it off in a layby on the A31 :P

Edited by phooey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Phoo - gutted I couldn't get out this w/e with the weather looking so good from where I'm sitting. Currently grounded due to car problems (don't EVER buy a Shitroen) and work overload. Congrats on the big bass, looking forward to the pix :thumbs:

Aw c'mon, I know Richi and Phooey aren't exactly Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, but they're not that bad looking B)

LOL...

although Richi was doing a fair impression of 'Sleeping Beauty' this morning.

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

portb.jpgWhat a night,5 species, a new P.B. Conger that took my total for the year to 6 (that took a good while to get to the surface)and a new mark found!Oh and loads of tackle lost :wallbash: but if you want conger you've got to be prepared for that.We were fishing right below the prison at Portland :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

lingthing.jpg

here's that ling thing --------any ideas wot that is? ;)

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

portb2.jpganother pic of the beast!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

Nice report guys.

Sounds like you were fishing Balaclava Bay outside the southern entrance to Portland Habour. Zzippy and I fished there for a while during the summers species hunt. If you want to fish a wreck there but away from the main current going through the southern entrance there is a wreck of a dredger about 50 yards or so to the west of HMS Hood.

Should be marked by a large buoy. Btw only found out recently that diving on HMS Hood has been banned for the last few years so we shouldn't get hassled when fishing that wreck. They dive the nearby dredger though and I think there are a few other features they explore just inside the southern entrance there.

Anyone thinking of fishing area be warned that Grove Point is further along from the Bay and there is a strong current. Balaclava Bay is fine though.

Richi the fish you caught is a ling - a rockling! :D :D if you count the number of whiskers around its head then you will know which type it is - off the top of my head can't remember the different types but I think there are 3, 4, and 5 bearded rocklings. The one you caught is a good size for a rockling.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow