Dogfish Dinner

fish4ever

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is that the same area they eat 2" long sole and basically anything else that swims ? I had a seafood plata at Mojaca last year, it had bullheads, mini sole and baby octopus etc. Notice they add strong tasting ingredients like garlic, paprika, other herbs n spices, I wonder why ???????

That would be Fritura Mixta, the small sole are a species of sole that does not grow much beyond 8" so they may be Sand Sole I think the local name for them is Algecidas perhaps, Captain Cojones could advise? Sole, Sole are called Lenguada something entirely different.

I don't think you get Bullheads though may be either Boquerones or perhaps Salmontettes (Red Mullet).

The Cadiz area is famous for its fried fish and is reputed to be the original source for our own fried Fish tradition having been brought back to England from Gibraltar.

I think the Culinary tradition of the region has a much higher reputation then any English cooking, quite how we dare criticise others on this is beyond me??

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Quite how we always assume our own culinary exploits are second best or worse to "garlic and olive oil" is beyond me too ! LMAO at fried fish being spanish, though a walk along the majorcan sea front might fool a few, they also gave us the fried breakfast didn't they ?

I for one would not confuse Majorca with Andalucia; two completely different cultures.

The link between the frituras of Cadiz and the British fish supper is a genuinely well established one,Wikipedia attributes it to the Spanish Sephardic Jewish community importing their tradition of Pesca Frito into London via the Netherlands, others as I have stated via the Royal Navy and Gibraltar.

Interestingly the Frituras in Cadiz even used to serve the fish in cones made up from old newspaper wrappings. Needless to say that they are now served massed produced hygenically sterile greaseproof offerings much the same as here in the UK.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I return most of my fish as many people on here have also said they do. Where I fish there seems to be no end of doggies though, so I take the odd one for my cat's. A couple of times I have considered cooking one up for myself has anyone tried it themself? If you have a good recipe let us know cheers. Please no conservation on this one as although it is also a concern to me it would be nice to have one post without it :rolleyes: .

There is a great recipe book by Kate Whiteman the ulimate book of fish and shellfish three hundred recipes not one for dog fish that must tell you something. :lol:

No some of the sugested recipes sound good, i was fishing over in clew bay a few weeks ago with a mate from Donegal and he took a load home with him just batters and deep frys them says they are good. :)

Recipe book is a top book if you like fish . :thumbs:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Oct 12 2006, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

:clap2: Is the sand sole the same fish as a solette? :clap2:

I think the French name is solenette

:clap2: That's close enough, I couldn't find my book to check. :clap2: