Dogfish Dinner

fish4ever

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would be Fritura Mixta, the small sole are a species of sole that does not grow much beyond 8" so they may be Sand Sole I think the local name for them is Algecidas perhaps, Captain Cojones could advise? Sole, Sole are called Lenguada something entirely different.

I don't think you get Bullheads though may be either Boquerones or perhaps Salmontettes (Red Mullet).

The Cadiz area is famous for its fried fish and is reputed to be the original source for our own fried Fish tradition having been brought back to England from Gibraltar.

I think the Culinary tradition of the region has a much higher reputation then any English cooking, quite how we dare criticise others on this is beyond me??

Tony

I would second that without hesitation.

Dog fish makes a fair meal I make a batter from An egg ,flour.And a tin of beer, cut the skinned doggies into little four inch logs dust them in seasond flour dunk them in the batter and deep fry till golden brown,

Add a few chunky home made chips and some crusty bread and butter.

whats wrong with that ?

People are a bit fussy when it comes to eating doggies as they have a reputation for being scavingers I think that by definition any fish that takes a static dead bait is and we eat most of them.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Rock eel, Rock Salmon, Huss, all seen on the chippy menu, I think they prefer Bull Huss and Spur Dog, but I used to take a couple of larger size LSD's home and Spur dogs. Dont get the Spurs where I fish nowadays. Had a friend back in the late eighties, he used to beg us for any doggies to take home, his misses loved them. He was guaranteed to be 'on a promise' if he took doggies home! Small smoothound up to 6lbs, I am told is sold in the chippies as Rock, larger ones start to get tainted with ammonia. Love my large portion of Rock eel, from the chippy just down the road from my back gate, chips and scraps, loooverly :thumbs:

:ph34r:

Rock eel, Rock Salmon, Huss, all seen on the chippy menu, I think they prefer Bull Huss and Spur Dog, but I used to take a couple of larger size LSD's home and Spur dogs. Dont get the Spurs where I fish nowadays. Had a friend back in the late eighties, he used to beg us for any doggies to take home, his misses loved them. He was guaranteed to be 'on a promise' if he took doggies home! Small smoothound up to 6lbs, I am told is sold in the chippies as Rock, larger ones start to get tainted with ammonia. Love my large portion of Rock eel, from the chippy just down the road from my back gate, chips and scraps, loooverly :thumbs:

:ph34r:

:clap2: As you say, we are just too fussy. I went on a survival course and we were given rabbits that had been dead for a couple of days to skin and cook over a fire, they stank but as they said,"after a couple of days without food, you'd welcome some roadkill". :clap2: