PAC FURY OVER NUDD'S CALL FOR PIKE CULL

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They never seem to understand that a mature pike population is as good as it gets.

10% pike to total fish biomass is what nature intends, and by God she'll fight to maintain that whatever man does.

Start 'thinning' them and nature hits back by going into pike expansion overdrive, producing plenty of hungry jacks so that some of them will grow to replace the 'lost' pike.

Pike are one of our oldest fish species, and over the millions of years of evolution of survival strategy, the pike have evolved to live in a particular balance with it's food availability in often enclosed waters where, if pike get it wrong, they will make themselves extinct.

And it's not just limiting pike numbers by self-predation to attain Maximum Sustainable Yield of pike, but by keeping predation at a constant rate, pike also maintain Maximum Sustainable Yield of the prey, taking out weak and sick fish, balancing the numbers of insectivorous fish with insect impacts on weed growth etc, and generally keeping both the water and the fish it contains in a healthy state.

Then along comes someone like Bob Nuddd!!

(See also: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...e_for_pike.html )

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The sad thing is that Bob is held in such high regard by some, that it will be taken as the thing to do.

If this statement is true, (it is the News of the World after all) then he has certainly gone down in my estimations.

I notice there was no mention of a carp cull, they are spreading into every available damp patch. IMO, this is much more detrimental to 'silver' fish stocks than predation from pike!

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Good post Leon

There is also good stuff by Bruno Broughton at

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Miscellaneous-...pike_culls.html

Its worth taking the trouble to read Bruno's piece, and perhaps print it off and send a copy to Mr Nudd c/o the paper he writes for.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

If Nudd is concerned about the depletion of fish stocks then he should seek a ban on keepnets on all rivers, and match anglers swinging in their catch so they can grab it between their knees whilst they unhook it rather than putting their pole/rod down. Instant de-sliming, grrrrrr.

Edited by Peter Waller

I cannot believe that such a fishing idol such as himself would have the stupidity to say such a thing. Pike and other silverfish cause equalibrium between the ecosystem and have matured a steady balance over hundreds of years. If Nudd cares so much about the depleting fish stocks then why does he cram 300lb of fish into a keep net for a whole day. I am not against using keep nets(to a certian extent) but believe that cramming that amount of fish into a net on such a regular basis is surely more dangerous to the fish than a few natural predators????

The Clax Will Always Crack

We've had Dave Harrell chucking pike up the bank at Edgbaston Reseviour and now this.

Not content with turning a significant proportion of the countries stillwater into muddy holes filled with Pasty sized carp, the match brigade now want pike "thinned out" on the few natural waters left to fish.

Ignorance and arrogance in equal measure.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

The comments do seem like a very dumb thing for a well known angler like Mr. Nudd to say.

However, condeming all anglers who fish matches because of Bob Nudd's public statement seems a bit unfair.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Maybe Nuddy could invite some Polish anglers to his favourite stretches????????

And people wonder why there are so many divisions in the angling community.........

Great post by Leon.

I cannot believe Nudd would say something like this.

When are matchmen going to realise that pike aren't a problem?

I was speaking to the President of a local angling club recently and he was saying how they were in the process of adding extra stock to a lake. He said something along the lines of "the pike will probably eat most of them though." ................ He is a matchman.

Now bear in mind that there are hardly any pike in this lake, if any. No one fishes it for pike. They tried to remove them all some time ago and put them into a local canal. What struck me about El Presidente was that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the box and there he was spouting untruths and also telling me how great the club's new featureless, pastie-filled puddle lakes were.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.