Sea Fishing and Conservation

I’m firstly a Sea Angler; if I were a 100% conservationist I would not be casting baited hooks seaward in the quest for a living creature.

My days of sea fishing started when I was very young and meant a fruitful day would help to feed a hungry family.

Today you may not know, but in the past feeding your family was just part of everyday life. Where the food came from was all local. Chickens, Pigs, Rabbits, Apples, Pears and Plums they were all there. In folk’s backyards n gardens, they were traded off for what you’d not got. So a few fish for a rabbit or a dozen eggs, this was day to day living.

Today you can easily pop to you local supermarket, out of season, and buy anything fresh. It don’t matter how it’s harvested, this don’t come into the equation. You just put your hand into your wallet and pay for your goods, thank you and good day.

Now lets get off this soapbox.

My fellow anglers and I never keep a fish that’s below the MLS, unless it’s unreturnable, there can be many reasons for this. Which if you’re an experienced angler you would no why. Standing on the shore, or in a boat, you will see the wildlife would take care of this unfortunate catch. Do Seagulls, while out fishing, ever surround you; they are just looking for their next meal.

In size fish are often returned when a sufficient catch for the table has been caught. Sometimes more are kept for the freezer, to be eaten in leaner times.

To preach Sea Fishing Conservationism, some on this Forum are targeting the wrong people. You need to be knocking on supermarket counters, asking your local chippy where their fish stocks come from. Go to the gates of fish markets and tell them what your thoughts are on over fishing the seas. If your convictions were true, you would not fear their reactions and stand the cause.

I do, do my part for Sea Fishing Conservation, there are names that participate on this forum that would vouch for that. Graphically my input goes unsigned. Anyone or anybody that asks for me, to do, or take part in their fight for conservation will be considered, if I feel the cause is right for Sea Fishing. I cannot fight all battles but given the choice I’d be in the front line of Major Issues.

Now to those likkle localised thinking immature, irresponsible so called self-proclaimed defenders of all, get off your high horses, get into reality and go fishing.

It would do you good.

Now where did I put my Priest.

Edited by John E Ashford
Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I read your previous post post about where to go fishing (I'm assuming this is about that) and had to dash out so this is the first time I have had chance to log on since. Whilst I was out I thought about your post and the first few answers and thought it would kick off and I wasnt wrong was I.

Anyway there I was chucking my first line of the new season last night , watching my rod gently dipping in the tide and instead of the usual peace I feel when fishing I started to get really angry because of the attitudes that prevail and really how unfair it all is that a few holier than thou activists can set out to try and destroy what is absolutly plain to me.....the actions of what appear to be a thouroughly decent man who enjoys his fishing and whats more is happy to share his experiences with others.

During my trawls through the net for info on venues I have come across your posts and diarys and have found them informative, helpful and a good read. I,ve never met you in my life but I like to think I am a good judge of charactor and I have to say I would be very happy to share a beach or pier with you.

Those people who use this forum for other means than to share and spread the good news and sheer joy that fishing can bring I will happily avoid as I believe that they have a bitter and twisted attitude to life and they think they can use this space to spread their poison.

Keep on doing what you are doing John. I enjoy fishing for many things. The peace and traquility, the excitement and sense of achievment , the companionship ,and yes the pleasure of a freshly cooked fish that I caught myself. I sense from your posts that you do to and whatever you do dont let the mindless idiots that try to spoil this joy grind you down.

I’m firstly a Sea Angler; if I were a 100% conservationist I would not be casting baited hooks seaward in the quest for a living creature.

My days of sea fishing started when I was very young and meant a fruitful day would help to feed a hungry family.

Today you may not know, but in the past feeding your family was just part of everyday life. Where the food came from was all local. Chickens, Pigs, Rabbits, Apples, Pears and Plums they were all there. In folk’s backyards n gardens, they were traded off for what you’d not got. So a few fish for a rabbit or a dozen eggs, this was day to day living.

Today you can easily pop to you local supermarket, out of season, and buy anything fresh. It don’t matter how it’s harvested, this don’t come into the equation. You just put your hand into your wallet and pay for your goods, thank you and good day.

My fellow anglers and I never keep a fish that’s below the MLS, unless it’s unreturnable, there can be many reasons for this. Which if you’re an experienced angler you would no why. Standing on the shore, or in a boat, you will see the wildlife would take care of this unfortunate catch. Do Seagulls, while out fishing, ever surround you; they are just looking for their next meal.

In size fish are often returned when a sufficient catch for the table has been caught. Sometimes more are kept for the freezer, to be eaten in leaner times.

To preach Sea Fishing Conservationism, some on this Forum are targeting the wrong people. You need to be knocking on supermarket counters, asking your local chippy where their fish stocks come from. Go to the gates of fish markets and tell them what your thoughts are on over fishing the seas. If your convictions were true, you would not fear their reactions and stand the cause.

I do, do my part for Sea Fishing Conservation, there are names that participate on this forum that would vouch for that. Graphically my input goes unsigned. Anyone or anybody that asks for me, to do, or take part in their fight for conservation will be considered, if I feel the cause is right for Sea Fishing. I cannot fight all battles but given the choice I’d be in the front line of Major Issues.

Now to those likkle localised thinking immature, irresponsible so called self-proclaimed defenders of all, get off your high horses, get into reality and go fishing.

It would do you good.

:clap2: Well said John, I think you speak for the majority, silent or otherwise. "If you are a true conservationist you wouldn't fish", many people have said to me. My answer, "B****X. Conserving is looking after and farming what you have. Not picking crops is not conserving them, it's wasting them. The fish in the sea are quite capable of being "farmed". Proper fishing practices enable the "crop", to sustain a healthy balance, angling to proper size limits and acceptable bags is farming that crop, to the benefit of that crop. Pair trawling and beam trawling is not farming the crop, it's devastation of the sea bed and a massacre of the crop. Yes there are some "anglers" who kill hundreds of mackerel and leave them to rot but they are not "farmers". But they still kill less fish in a lifetime than trawlers do in a day. This government has said that the "best practices" will be used and the most benefits will be made of the seas produce, or words to that effect. Well, angling is best practice and more businesses benefit from angling than trawling. They can't say that we need trawlers to catch our food as most of the fish we eat is imported. So, at the end of the day, ban commercial fishing and watch RSA take off, employing more people and raising more money than the commercial sector ever did or will. :clap2:

Edited by Norm B

It would do you good.

VERY WELL PUT JOHN

sod them all and lets get fishing and catch some fish

you have my backing 110 % :):):)

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Oct 15 2006, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:clap2: Well said John, I think you speak for the majority, silent or otherwise. "If you are a true conservationist you wouldn't fish", many people have said to me. My answer, "B****X. Conserving is looking after and farming what you have. Not picking crops is not conserving them, it's wasting them. The fish in the sea are quite capable of being "farmed". Proper fishing practices enable the "crop", to sustain a healthy balance, angling to proper size limits and acceptable bags is farming that crop, to the benefit of that crop. Pair trawling and beam trawling is not farming the crop, it's devastation of the sea bed and a massacre of the crop. Yes there are some "anglers" who kill hundreds of mackerel and leave them to rot but they are not "farmers". But they still kill less fish in a lifetime than trawlers do in a day. This government has said that the "best practices" will be used and the most benefits will be made of the seas produce, or words to that effect. Well, angling is best practice and more businesses benefit from angling than trawling. They can't say that we need trawlers to catch our food as most of the fish we eat is imported. So, at the end of the day, ban commercial fishing and watch RSA take off, employing more people and raising more money than the commercial sector ever did or will. :clap2:

Well said Norm.

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

Guest challenge

John.

I believe that we have many differences of opinion, but I must say it was like a breath of fresh air when I read your refreshing thread.

Anglers are miles apart on many issues, not (as I originally thought) because of regional differences but because of there outlooks on life.

Many may not agree with what you say. But I (and obviously many others) do.

Thanks again.