Sea Fishing and Conservation

Oh come on now boys ...........stop giving it handbags and get some fishing done!!!!

You can moan and whine till the cows come home but it ain't gonna make any difference, people can come up with all sorts of info about the current situation, but all you are doing is creating a rift amongst fellow anglers.

But i suppose there may be one good thing that might be happening while everyone is bitching and griping on here ( the fish aren't getting caught and killed)

STOP MOANING AND START LIVING :fishing::fishing1::group:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone,

This thread about sea angling and conservation is exciting.

Just because an angler uses a baited hook to catch a fish does not mean he is not a conservationist. He ceases to be a conservationist when he continues to take fish from beyond the point of no return for the species.

To say an angler is not a conservationist because he catches fish to kill is like saying pheasant shooters are not conservationists because they kill birds.

Conservation is a modern buzz word but one that has been twisted, warped and hijacked by dogooders and the anti fieldsports brigade. Conservation is a posh word for management. And management of a species or group of species is what happens, whether a species is managed for a harvestable surplus or because they look nice and cute. Two opposing poles here.

The end result is the same. It is just a matter of which route one takes.

Many 'fluffy bunny' types try to make out that conservation means preservation and it does not. What is important is the ongoing survival of a species. The route taken to achieve this is conservation and if that means impaling a fishes mouth on a hook, chasing a fox across the countryside or downing gamebirds, then so be it.

Anglers should realise that every move they make is being watched by the sports' enemies. They will capitalise on every negative point, even internal disagreements. Divide and conquer.

Anglers need to show a more understanding face. It isn't good enough to go fishing these days. How many sea anglers if asked could quote the life cycle of common sea weeds, things which catch up on their lines, or even correctly identify them?

I was once personally appalled by a canal angler who wrongly identified a water vole as a young rat. Another of my acquaintance called a mink a ferret.

I know another person who sent posters to angling shops re angling and conservation and hardly any of the proprietors bothered to put them on display despite the fact they offered free tackle vouchers.

Little wonder the opposition scores brownie points all the time.

Anglers in modern times must become naturalists and do practical conservation work and publicly boast about it if they are to gain new blood and new friends within the non fishing population.

Just going fishing is simply just not good enough anymore.

Hello Everyone,

This thread about sea angling and conservation is exciting.

Just because an angler uses a baited hook to catch a fish does not mean he is not a conservationist. He ceases to be a conservationist when he continues to take fish from beyond the point of no return for the species.

To say an angler is not a conservationist because he catches fish to kill is like saying pheasant shooters are not conservationists because they kill birds.

Conservation is a modern buzz word but one that has been twisted, warped and hijacked by dogooders and the anti fieldsports brigade. Conservation is a posh word for management. And management of a species or group of species is what happens, whether a species is managed for a harvestable surplus or because they look nice and cute. Two opposing poles here.

The end result is the same. It is just a matter of which route one takes.

Many 'fluffy bunny' types try to make out that conservation means preservation and it does not. What is important is the ongoing survival of a species. The route taken to achieve this is conservation and if that means impaling a fishes mouth on a hook, chasing a fox across the countryside or downing gamebirds, then so be it.

Anglers should realise that every move they make is being watched by the sports' enemies. They will capitalise on every negative point, even internal disagreements. Divide and conquer.

Anglers need to show a more understanding face. It isn't good enough to go fishing these days. How many sea anglers if asked could quote the life cycle of common sea weeds, things which catch up on their lines, or even correctly identify them?

I was once personally appalled by a canal angler who wrongly identified a water vole as a young rat. Another of my acquaintance called a mink a ferret.

I know another person who sent posters to angling shops re angling and conservation and hardly any of the proprietors bothered to put them on display despite the fact they offered free tackle vouchers.

Little wonder the opposition scores brownie points all the time.

Anglers in modern times must become naturalists and do practical conservation work and publicly boast about it if they are to gain new blood and new friends within the non fishing population.

So which side are you on then?!? :headhurt:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Does it matter, Carol has a point of view, the last time I look freedom of speech was still legal in the UK

Pardon me for being sarcastic! :blink:

Pardon me for being sarcastic! :blink:

Thats fine, but sarcasm can be often conscrued as a poor attempt at wit or a personal attack. Not being over-sensitive here, BUT as Carol58 only has 3 posts behind her (he!!!) its fairly reasonable to assume they are reasonably new to AN, and to be faced with sarcasm straight away is likely to deter them from posting in the future.

Are we trying to make this a selective club!!!!!!

Thats fine, but sarcasm can be often conscrued as a poor attempt at wit or a personal attack. Not being over-sensitive here, BUT as Carol58 only has 3 posts behind her (he!!!) its fairly reasonable to assume they are reasonably new to AN, and to be faced with sarcasm straight away is likely to deter them from posting in the future.

Are we trying to make this a selective club!!!!!!

No just trying to liven up this forum with all the doom and gloom of conservation

Iwelcome carol with open arms but he/she is trying to put their point accross about people moaning about conservs and i happen to agree

Lighten up :sun:

No just trying to liven up this forum with all the doom and gloom of conservation

Iwelcome carol with open arms but he/she is trying to put their point accross about people moaning about conservs and i happen to agree

Lighten up :sun:

Sorry if I've read it wrongly but I think what Carol was saying that you cannot get away from the principles of conservation, to do so would be like sticking your head in the sand. If RSA is to make allys outside then it has to have an acceptance of conservation principles, be seen to practice conservation and be much more open minded about the marine environment and the potential effect of its activities.

As you say you have no interest in conservation matters and would rather just go fishing, I don't see any sympathetic consideration of that ethic in Carols post. So which part do you agree with because its not that clear from your post.

There are two threads on the forum at the moment with a similar vein - this one and the Bag limits / licences thread.

Heated bedate and airing opposing views are what forums are all about and an exchange of views is undoubtledly healthy for the wider understanding of these highly personal views.

I am getting fed up though, with the constant snipping and flaming of these threads, with banal and petty comments, squarely aimed at individuals, which only serve to devalue the exchange of ideas and beliefs.

Comments like ''Lighten up'' and ''Get a life'' are the replies fired off, when well thought out and constructive posts are made, by the victims of the sniper in question.

What possible value do these comments bring to the thread?

The answer is none - so from now on I shan't be reading any of his posts - they are not worth my time.

Cheers

Steve Pitts