Sea Fishing and Conservation

There are two threads on the forum at the moment with a similar vein - this one and the Bag limits / licences thread.

Heated bedate and airing opposing views are what forums are all about and an exchange of views is undoubtledly healthy for the wider understanding of these highly personal views.

I am getting fed up though, with the constant snipping and flaming of these threads, with banal and petty comments, squarely aimed at individuals, which only serve to devalue the exchange of ideas and beliefs.

Comments like ''Lighten up'' and ''Get a life'' are the replies fired off, when well thought out and constructive posts are made, by the victims of the sniper in question.

What possible value do these comments bring to the thread?

The answer is none - so from now on I shan't be reading any of his posts - they are not worth my time.

Cheers

Steve Pitts

Well said mate :)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two threads on the forum at the moment with a similar vein - this one and the Bag limits / licences thread.

Heated bedate and airing opposing views are what forums are all about and an exchange of views is undoubtledly healthy for the wider understanding of these highly personal views.

I am getting fed up though, with the constant snipping and flaming of these threads, with banal and petty comments, squarely aimed at individuals, which only serve to devalue the exchange of ideas and beliefs.

Comments like ''Lighten up'' and ''Get a life'' are the replies fired off, when well thought out and constructive posts are made, by the victims of the sniper in question.

What possible value do these comments bring to the thread?

The answer is none - so from now on I shan't be reading any of his posts - they are not worth my time.

Cheers

Steve Pitts

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds ~ Albert Einstein

Amen to that...

AJS

One of the reasons I rarely post on this forum is the inability of certain posters to engage in debate without resorting to personal attacks on someone whose views do not concur with their own. I don't wish to sound elitist but if any poster has a problem comprehending the english language and lacks the ability to propose their views without personal insult, then they should keep the hell away from places like this.

One of the reasons I rarely post on this forum is the inability of certain posters to engage in debate without resorting to personal attacks on someone whose views do not concur with their own. I don't wish to sound elitist but if any poster has a problem comprehending the english language and lacks the ability to propose their views without personal insult, then they should keep the hell away from places like this.

True, maybe the person that does resort to those tactics does so because he/she/it feels inadequate? All I know there is far too much of it on this forum unfortunately it masks some excellent debates and people are put off airing relevant points. Sad but true. If you look at how well organised the game fishing sector is in negotiating with the government and local authorities, the EA, SEPA etc. it speaks volumes for the demographic of the game fishing community, also shows our own community up for what it is...

True, maybe the person that does resort to those tactics does so because he/she/it feels inadequate? All I know there is far too much of it on this forum unfortunately it masks some excellent debates and people are put off airing relevant points. Sad but true. If you look at how well organised the game fishing sector is in negotiating with the government and local authorities, the EA, SEPA etc. it speaks volumes for the demographic of the game fishing community, also shows our own community up for what it is...

Fragmented, institutionalised, apathetic, selfish, objective, subjective, concerned, aware, unaware, caring, uncaring, responsive, unresponsive, Laboured, conservative, liberal... In other words representative of the whole spectrum of society, which may be the reason we cannot unite, too many different agendas, outlooks, reasons for fishing, levels of expenditure, levels of experience, forms of sea angling etc etc etc....

True, maybe the person that does resort to those tactics does so because he/she/it feels inadequate? All I know there is far too much of it on this forum unfortunately it masks some excellent debates and people are put off airing relevant points. Sad but true. ......

Sad but too true, attack the person not the issue takes the discussion nowhere.

If you look at how well organised the game fishing sector is in negotiating with the government and local authorities, the EA, SEPA etc. it speaks volumes for the demographic of the game fishing community, also shows our own community up for what it is...

One reason why the game sector has a better voice may be that there is a lot of 'interested' money - landlords, syndicate owners, beat owners - the majority of whom seem to have one focus - quality stock.

Perhaps historically as the participants were primarily the gentry this provided very solid political and operational bases, which were then maintained when recreational game fishing was opened up to the wider population.

Most of the money from RSA activities goes directly to the industries that service and benefit from it, yet those very industries seem to be in many cases, more focussed on their own profits and agendas, rather than supporting any RSA initiatives.

Sad but too true, attack the person not the issue takes the discussion nowhere.

One reason why the game sector has a better voice may be that there is a lot of 'interested' money - landlords, syndicate owners, beat owners - the majority of whom seem to have one focus - quality stock.

Perhaps historically as the participants were primarily the gentry this provided very solid political and operational bases, which were then maintained when recreational game fishing was opened up to the wider population.

Most of the money from RSA activities goes directly to the industries that service and benefit from it, yet those very industries seem to be in many cases, more focussed on their own profits and agendas, rather than supporting any RSA initiatives.

That was my point, the demographic is one of well educated and funded members, I wish I could say the same for me lol