Sea Fishing and Conservation

Who mentioned John E? I have no issues with him at all.

I mentioned John E. Sorry you thought it was personal, can't think why you did? I don't have any issues with him either. I was making the point (badly) that he was making mischief, that person usually catches nothing so we shouldn't worry too much if he takes a box full, if he managed a box full the place must've been crawling with them. Not being disrespectful to him, he says so himself in his reports, he's a blanker.

As far as taking a feed, I have a wife and son, I take enough to feed them. I'm lucky I go a lot and don't generally need to keep fish in the freezer (I do have some cod in there) but do from time to time. Its a personal thing, though I do feel we do have to have a mind on conservation these days, so I won't take a box full, though I bet over a season (with the exception of that box of bass) I probably take more fish than John E. Ive taken around 8 or 10 bass this year and a few codling, dabs and sole. I'll obviously be taking more codling over the coming months, hopefully!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
My question still stands:

"So all you 'Anglers' at what point do you think you have enough fish for the pot and then start returning them? Serious question. "

JRT

In my opinion.

We have a lot of anglers that come fishing with us, that only get one crack at it a year. That could be because of where they are based (geographically) or how often work etc allows them to fish.

I suspect that some who go fishing in other locations (when not fishing with us) don’t catch many (if any) cod.

The opportunity arises (if they do catch) to keep fish for themselves, there family and there friends.

They pay a lot of money to come with us and are (as you would imagine) not guaranteed fish.

So when the opportunity arrives they do take what fish they find practical.

I have witnessed a lot of fish being returned over the years. The more fish they catch the more they return.

My self. Well I never really get much of a chance to fish, because my anglers always come first. I had a chance to fish last trip (because circumstances allowed) and I contributed the fish I caught to our anglers.

When I fish at home I keep most of the fish for my family and friends.

I have never sold a rod caught fish in my life. But that does not mean I will not do it in the future.

Regards.

Thanks. The purpose of my question is just to get a feeling of angler's opinion on what is sensible to keep before returning fish.

Do charters ever have bag limits on their trips or any self-enforced restrictions of fish caught?

JRT

My question still stands:

"So all you 'Anglers' at what point do you think you have enough fish for the pot and then start returning them? Serious question. "

JRT

When you can't carry any more!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Thanks. The purpose of my question is just to get a feeling of angler's opinion on what is sensible to keep before returning fish.

Do charters ever have bag limits on their trips or any self-enforced restrictions of fish caught?

JRT

not on any of the charters i have been on , but the skippers always recommend returning undersized fish

but lets do as you say and catch and release, lets pull the little critters up through god knows how many fathoms, and distress the fish then put it back to live another day , then the next day someone else will catch that very same fish and so the ordeal goes on

or lets just shut the whole fishing thing down for a year or two so the stocks replenish themselves and BANG , everyone jumps in on the thing and the whole process starts over again

JRT , you sound like a lovely person and would love to meet you , so why bother yourself with something that.....(at the end of it all you have no real influence on) , don't shout at other anglers on this forum for catching fish ...shout at people who can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

what do the charter boat skippers think when they read this?

i would love to hear their thoughts.

is all this conservation stuff affecting their business? (ooh i can't book that trip because i'm not allowed to take my catch home , or if i catch too much i darn't tell anyone about it or i'll be classed as emptying the seas)

YES anglers may take more than they're able to eat , but so what!

immigrants are taking benefits that arn't neccesarily meant for them (and most certainly not paid for by them!!!), people are blowing up towers , people are breaking the law everywhere you look .

let the powers that be sort it out and stop griping and get some fishing done. :)

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

I don't kill everything I catch and neither do my mates I fish with... so I guess we do make a difference. Certainly to the areas we fish.

It bothers me because 'anglers' and unlicensed boats kill alot of fish. This may seem small change to you but it adds up because everyone else seems to be to. Marks get wiped out, especially shore marks which makes it harder for me to enjoy the thing I love. If it didn't make a difference why is everyone so guarded about their marks?

Haven't charters noticed a decline in the quantity of decent sized fish over the last 10 years? You can't blame it all on the french pair trawlers.

And yes I am a lovely person, Just ask me mum :blink:

Edited by JRT

not on any of the charters i have been on , but the skippers always recommend returning undersized fish

but lets do as you say and catch and release, lets pull the little critters up through god knows how many fathoms, and distress the fish then put it back to live another day , then the next day someone else will catch that very same fish and so the ordeal goes on

or lets just shut the whole fishing thing down for a year or two so the stocks replenish themselves and BANG , everyone jumps in on the thing and the whole process starts over again

JRT , you sound like a lovely person and would love to meet you , so why bother yourself with something that.....(at the end of it all you have no real influence on) , don't shout at other anglers on this forum for catching fish ...shout at people who can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

what do the charter boat skippers think when they read this?

i would love to hear their thoughts.

is all this conservation stuff affecting their business? (ooh i can't book that trip because i'm not allowed to take my catch home , or if i catch too much i darn't tell anyone about it or i'll be classed as emptying the seas)

YES anglers may take more than they're able to eat , but so what!

immigrants are taking benefits that arn't neccesarily meant for them (and most certainly not paid for by them!!!), people are blowing up towers , people are breaking the law everywhere you look .

let the powers that be sort it out and stop griping and get some fishing done. :)

So how did your fishing go yesterday?? :rolleyes:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist