Dungeness or Dengemarsh?

Cod Stopper

Hi

I'm thinking of fishing Dengemarsh or Dungeness this weekend but have never fished it before. Can anybody tell me the best baits and rigs to use and what I'am likely to catch/what is being caught at the moment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Cod Stopper, I have refrained from answering until now, as I hoped someone with some more up-to-date info would respond. :(

The venue choice depends upon what you are targeting.

Dungeness (deeper), is more cod/whiting and Dengemarsh (shallower) is more flatfish/whiting/bass.

I know that a few smaller cod (up to 5lbs) have been caught at Dungeness and some good catches of whiting.

Dengemarsh has been fishing well (look further down this Forum for some good reports),but I have no current info.

Standard beach tactics and rigs.Baits, lugworm and or squid.

Dungeness, cast as far as possible.

Dengemarsh, distance is not so crucial.

I hope this helps a bit, best of luck and please post how you got on. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Hi Cranfield

Thanks for the information :) . I think I will probably go to Dengemarsh as I've heard you don't get so much of a crowd there and my casting is not up to much.

Thanks again, and will let you know how I get on.

Ian

i went fishing last saturday at dengmarsh

we didnt even have a bite untill low>high tide which coicided with dusk

then we had: 2.5 lb bass

1lb bass

3/4 dover sole

and a small whiting

finished around 9pm

not sure what the other people caught that day

it wasnt that busy

Hello Cranfield and Cookus,

cheers for the info.

Fished Dengemarsh on Saturday. Got there about 2hrs before high tide, after wading through all the beer cans, plastic bags, bait wrappers and discarded fishing tackle, and fished until dusk (about 5hrs fishing). Had 4 whiting and three bass. The bass were about 1-1.5lbs. Most of the fish came about 1hr after high tide and the bait was squid and lug.

Looking through my binoculars I noticed a bloke right down the beach land what looked like a fairly hefty bass (could have been a cod) and it was nice to see that he put it back, to fight another day. I say it was nice he put it back because after talking to several other anglers I got the impression that they were keeping undersize bass that were probably not mature enough to breed. Shame. All mine went back (what a good boy I am).

I'll definitely be going back to fish Dengemarsh. I got the feeling that if you put the time in a decent fish would eventually turn up. I usually fish the Thames Estuary where the flounders and eels and very small bass are the norm.

Another question: What are the baits and tackle used to catch sole? I've heard you get them at Dengemarsh but you need to use size 4 hooks. Is this true?

Ian