the clock is running out

hembo

we do need strong leadership it is blatantly obvious that over fishing will eventually mean the wholesale destruction of certain specieswhich in turn will effect everything else in the chain.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Yes changes need to be made, no doubt about that. Don't hold your breaths though I've no faith in governments and those protecting fish stocks - these types of reports are nothing new - read the bbc archives pages, you'll find lots of similar stuff dating back 10 or more years. Interestingly I was reading a book on fishing from Whitby and way back in the 80's local Skipper Jim Leadley was prophecising bad times ahead. We seem destined to kill the planet - Its like we know where were going but greed just keeps us on that road. Leaders need to be strong and sadly We have Mr Bradshawe who seems to care more about a few jobs that could easily be replaced rather than the survival of something much bigger than people.

Interesting how the idea of protected areas is sneeking into these things. Are the governments getting people ready for Marine national parks.

We as a human race will never kill the world glen, the world will kill us.

This planet has survived many a global change over it’s billions of years existence. I am sure that it will get over the cod recovery plan in time for its 5 billionth birthday.

Interesting how the idea of protected areas is sneeking into these things. Are the governments getting people ready for Marine national parks.

I think you've got it in one Glenn.

I did have to laugh this morning though when I saw the news. There was Bradshaw spouting off about saving the fish in one sentence, (this is the man who wouldn't increase the bass MLS to a size where they would have spwaned before being landed!), and in the next sentence he was quoting from the trawler skippers book of excuses! I think he even mentioned the "L" word once.

Then there was the usual interview with some commercial fisherman who also had me holding my sides with their, "It wasn't us, we didn't do it. :unsure: It's not our fault. Honest Guv, I wasn't even there. There's still plenty of fish in the sea, what's the problem?" :huh:

I think that Bradshaw and the commercial fishermen on that news clip deserve a show of their own. It would wipe the board at the comedy awards next year.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6113050.stm

south west fisherman are not convinced however

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Hello Doc

You weren't a communist in a former life were you, your hatred and or mistrust of anything to do with government is unerring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I some times wonder if I'm the only one on this planet who can see through them.

hi peter

no you are not i can to lol

steve

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6108414.stm

50 years left, is it too late?

The clock has already run out here in sussex hembo, after the worse summer i have had in my living memory for mullet fishing there realy is not much left to aim for now, after 30 odd years seeing the cod/decent sized bass, and now the mullet dissapearing i think its time to call it a day, if other sea anglers are content and happy to catch a few mackerel in the summer and whiting in the winter then i wish them all the luck, but that to me is as interesting as watching paint dry and not for me, i am amassing all my sea gear over the next few weeks and getting rid at the local boot sale.

So all i have to say to people like wurzel and the whole commercial industry is a very big thank you! for putting an end to what was one of my most cherished and much loved hobbies/pastimes, i sincerely hope that the whole commercial industry totaly collapses and the sooner the better imho......................

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Just like to point out that overfishing is only one of the stated reasons for the predicted collapse. They also think rising sea temps and pollution have a big impact that is extremely hard to measure and monitor.

You need to look at who produces these reports and see if there is any political lobbying behind it. The Stearn report is a prime example. Gets released and pushed in the press (who are pro-labour) and then the government uses this to justify 'green' taxes, perfect timing eh!

Another tactic is to scare everyone that we will be paying ££££ in green taxes so when they only tax us £££ it looks like we got off lightly. This is has nothing to do with green issues, trust me.

Also how taxing the public will repair the hole in the ozone layer is beyond me?

Edited by JRT

Just like to point out that overfishing is only one of the stated reasons for the predicted collapse. They also think rising sea temps and pollution have a big impact that is extremely hard to measure and monitor.

You need to look at who produces these reports and see if there is any political lobbying behind it. The Stearn report is a prime example. Gets released and pushed in the press (who are pro-labour) and then the government uses this to justify 'green' taxes, perfect timing eh!

Another tactic is to scare everyone that we will be paying ££££ in green taxes so when they only tax us £££ it looks like we got off lightly. This is has nothing to do with green issues, trust me.

Also how taxing the public will repair the hole in the ozone layer is beyond me?

This is refreshing.

Anyone know where we we can see the original report?

I guess there is zero marks for guessing the Pew institute money might just be in there? :D

It reminds me of the anti salmon farm zealots and their misuse of a lazy media :(

When o when do we get journalists that are capable of understanding the stuff that crosses their desks, and maybe, just once in a while actually questioning it ? :D

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

we do need strong leadership it is blatantly obvious that over fishing will eventually mean the wholesale destruction of certain specieswhich in turn will effect everything else in the chain.

Hi, your not referring to a certain speices called sand eel by any chance, there the ones that are shovelled up for 'fish meal' before the cod can eat them?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..