the clock is running out

hembo

Hi all

50 years is probably an exageration and a fairly shoddy tactic to raise tax or pull some other odd bull but tbh the sea has turned to shite with polution being pumped into it untill we got treatment plants sorted but nature bounced back and if we give it a break(closed season)(of some kind)then stocks will increase.

fish farms/clones/whatever it takes

these days we dont actually need to use the extinct word

right or wrong cloning would help and as long as the bugger tasted the same sod it:)

i love sea fishing!!but course fishing is managed and you have atleast a rats chance of catching a big bugger

so maybe things need doing but again its money so what can you do.

give me a shark fight anyday but id allways return it like every fish i catch(unless its just tooooooo tasty:)

stop the trawlers and fish may get a breather(eat something else for a while:)

steve

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eat something else for a while

steve

I think you'll be in for a shock at the way the price of beef is going, now that exports are starting to accelerate

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Just like to point out that overfishing is only one of the stated reasons for the predicted collapse. They also think rising sea temps and pollution have a big impact that is extremely hard to measure and monitor.

I did notice they said that, but very quickly dismissed it as rubbish. If they are truly concerned about the effect of global warming and poultion, do they think that commercial fishing is helping or making things worse?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge
I cant wait until the fishery totally collapses, I think that until it does the likes of Ben Bradshaw will be to concerned about the livelyhoods of commercial fishermen.

If that is Bradshaw being concerned? Then I wouldn’t like to be a commercial fisherman when he becomes unconcerned. :D:D

Hi, your not referring to a certain speices called sand eel by any chance, there the ones that are shovelled up for 'fish meal' before the cod can eat them?

Hi & welcome to the forum barry, you're not neils son are you ?

ave a look at this link, you'll have to scroll down a bit to see what the danes are doing to the sand eels.

http://www.idw.org/html/conservation.html

someone compared it to plowing up all the grass in a field & then wondering why the cows are starving to death.

"GREED THAT MUST BE STOPPED

The British Government’s record of lack of concern, or apparent indifference to the needs of other inhabitants of our planet apart from man reached a new level recently when it was announced that it had given a £100,000 grant to Bio Mar, a Danish subsidiary of the Norwegian giant Norsk Hydro, to build a £6 million fish food factory in Grangemouth (see Daily Telegraph 23 Sept 1994). One of the main sources of raw materials for this mammoth plant is to be the humble sand eel which is being removed from the sea in unimaginable quantities - millions of tons - yes, millions of tons - by INDUSTRIAL FISHING - mainly by the Danes. What is happening to this fish meal you may ask? Some of it is used as fertiliser, pig and chicken feed thereby adding even more to the huge mountain of excess food Europe already produces. The surplus is burned as fuel in power stations.

cartoon by Rico

In other words we are selectively removing a vital link in a food chain that supports millions of sea creatures because in the short term it is cheaper than using equivalent materials from the land.

The result of this monumental abuse of the sea made possible by industrial technology is already becoming apparent. Sea bird population and sea trout stocks are collapsing. No one can predict what the overall effect will be, but common sense indicates that it spells disaster on an unprecedented scale. One obvious group at risk are the dolphins that eat the herrings that eat the sand eels. One of the great wonders of nature that we in Britain are all privileged to have around our coasts is spectacular colonies of sea birds. Even if we don’t see them we all know, deep down, that somehow they add to the richness to our lives.

TAKING SAND EELS OUT OF THE FOOD CHAIN IS UTTER MADNESS"

Edited by ziggy searchfield

Hello Ken

We are rapidly running out of oil, peak oil production will be reached on or about 2010 and that it written in slabs of stone.

From that point on whether we like it or not all of our lives will change, fishing for cod or any other species will be priced out of the market; for the fish it will be a positive, for the fishermen it will be a disaster.

Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) it will not just be fishermen who will suffer, everyone will and for the first time in ten decades we will be sat back on our nether regions having to take notice of not only scientist but nature.

Over the last ten decades we have sucked the live blood out of this planet without giving it a second thought, but in a few years time all that will change we will no longer be arguing about cod stocks we will be to busy fighting to survive.

Well that will sort out the carbon emissions then.

I don't see why we should have any trouble surviving, there will be , already is, alternatives, there is too much money in oil revenue at the moment to allow development of alternatives.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest challenge

On entering the oil industry in 1989 I remember saying to my self, well have only got till the year 2000. By then the oil (we are told) will be run out in the North Sea.

The first field I worked in the recoverable oil that they estimated (when the field was first developed in 1982) was 140 000000 barrels. When I left the industry in 2001 the estimated recoverable oil in the same field was 140 000000. The field had been producing about 150000 barrels of oil a day from its first production in 1982.

Technology has meant that they are now able to remove oil economically from parts of the fields that they thought would never be economically viable.

On saying that it’s not cheep to get out the ground, hence the odd war to keep the price up helps.

Regards.

Edited by challenge

I find it difficult to get my head around all the bickering over conversation. What is a fact, I believe, (cod?) stock in the North sea is at 20% of the levels 100 years ago? An indisputable fact? hind site, a wise status we are told. One remembers the bass nursery areas of the 80's, I believe these had a good effect on bass stocks at the time?

Dont they operate a rotating 'no go grid system' farm field fashion in Norway?? And I dont think they allow 'all and sundry' to come and rape their stocks, 30lb fish the norm for anglers? I think I'm right, its certainly up that way some way they operate such a system.

Where has all the wisdom gone,??? :ph34r:

Hello Cliff

Only 20% down ? that ain't so bad then, a couple of winters like last years will soon put that right.

I fish to live and live to fish.