Llangorse Today

nifty

Cracking report Nifty. You certainly have the scenery there (far prettier than my water). Nice to get a few fish, and that 7lb'er is certainly not a bad fish to have on. The sun is shining here, the wind is negligible, and there's no way I'm able to go today or tomorrow...so very enjoyable to read your report, thanks.

Marvin - 40lb Powerpro braid is what I'm using, (as of a month ago) seems to be that braid is the way to go.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc J,

Why don't you give Bala a go? and I might be persuaded to join you :)

Not much further than Rudyard I wouldn't have thought.

Hi Stu,

Just got back & seen your message! Fished from about 11am till dusk. Had two takes, first me reel clutch was too loose.... :wallbash: 2nd stayed on for about 3 seconds.....doh

Great to get the yak out though, it hasn't seen the water since Towyn. :) Didn't get cold either :yeah:

Bala would be a bit further, but I'd be up for it if you're going :)

PB040037.jpg

PB040041.jpg

Malibu 2

Hi Marc,

I feel for you, really. had it happen so many times.

I haven't pike fished in 15 years until this year - first trip, in a 2 acre pond - had me getting 4 runs and hookups (with barbed trebles) and every damned run was dropped. I finally trapped the only sizeable pike in there a week later, but was mercilessly ribbed in the meantime!

I get runs on the troll that have nothing by the time I've stowed the paddle and picked up the rod. I have some I feel that then get off. But having a run, or two, and not getting any fish in just sucks. Mind you, he'll be there next time.....

Crossed wires there Marc I thought you were going on Sunday.

Nice looking place Rudyard and ashamed to say I've never been even though I'm a Staffordshire boy born and bred :(

Shame you missed out on the Pike. Were you lure fishing?

Mark Crame, Have you tried trolling with a deadbait? Only yesterday was the first time I'd tried it, and I think there is an advantage in the method compared to artificials. The main one being, the fish seem to hang on once they've got it. It's something I'm going to play around with this winter.

The fish I caught yesterday were all just hooked on the bottom treble (size 8 semi barbless) of a two hook trace and easily removed by hand. I struck into them immediately the float disappeared and unlike a static deadbait they hadn't had chance to suck the bait down too deep before it registered on the float.

A lot to learn regards the method but I think there's a lot of mileage in it, and good for a few biggies.

Stuart. :)

Edited by nifty

I haven't tried it as yet but am thinking how to approach it best. Never really thought much of sink and draw as a technique but the lure fishing does me well enough - plus I'm getting less losses now that I'm getting attuned to the drag setting. I have some stuff too, like Ultrabite. Pike pheromones, acquired through CEFAS, and have smelt and mackerel oil as well. I think winter might need that instead of the lures to make them go for it. There used to be something called a Mydo in South Africa, it was a lead weight shaped so that you hooked a sardine onto it and it kept it down but also 'swimming' naturally. Could do with some of those.

Googled it:

http://www.kulumatv.co.za/kulu/gallery.htm

5th pic down. And bugger me if I don't know the people whose site it is!!

Hi Stu

Nice report and photo's mate :thumbs:

Would like to have a go for them toothy old fish from the kayak myself one day (hint hint :D )

Don't forget that we still have to kick a$$ against the south coast lads at the flatty bash ;)

ATB Tom

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

Hi Tom,

You're more than welcome to come up for a bit of Piking, just say when. :)

Regards the flatties, I'm sure we can beat them south coast boys. Just have to get hold of some fresh dug worm instead of those watery, scentless specimens we used last week. :yucky:

Stu. :)

Hi Tom,

You're more than welcome to come up for a bit of Piking, just say when. :)

Regards the flatties, I'm sure we can beat them south coast boys. Just have to get hold of some fresh dug worm instead of those watery, scentless specimens we used last week. :yucky:

Stu. :)

Busy all this week but may be able to arrange something the following week or w/e

Tom

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)