Llangorse Today

nifty

Hi Mark,

Sink and drawing deads is the method that I would go to first if my life depended on catching a Pike.

I have had a lot of fish, including Salmon to 20lb, on nothing more than a Sprat impaled on a couple of size 8 trebles and two swanshot, nipped on the line at the top of the trace, cast out, and twitched back slowly.

If the weed isn't too bad, then I reckon you could make a killing. The beauty of it is you can fish a bait far more slowly than that at which an artificial would stop working.

Stuart.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossed wires there Marc I thought you were going on Sunday.

Nice looking place Rudyard and ashamed to say I've never been even though I'm a Staffordshire boy born and bred :(

Shame you missed out on the Pike. Were you lure fishing?

Mark Crame, Have you tried trolling with a deadbait? Only yesterday was the first time I'd tried it, and I think there is an advantage in the method compared to artificials. The main one being, the fish seem to hang on once they've got it. It's something I'm going to play around with this winter.

The fish I caught yesterday were all just hooked on the bottom treble (size 8 semi barbless) of a two hook trace and easily removed by hand. I struck into them immediately the float disappeared and unlike a static deadbait they hadn't had chance to suck the bait down too deep before it registered on the float.

A lot to learn regards the method but I think there's a lot of mileage in it, and good for a few biggies.

Stuart. :)

Hi Stuart,

Had 2 rods set up, one with float & dead bait, the other with a lure option on. It was 22ft deep, had a plug rigged up on the lure option, tried it for a bit, but the dead baits look sooooo good in the water! :blink: No action on the surface.

So set the lure rig up with a small weight & dead bait. Tried slow retrieve on both & trolling.

Most telling thing maybe's was I moved to a bay on the opposite side of the lake a hour or so before having to leave. First cast was the loose clutch, bit later had the I the other take. Between the two there was a definate swirl/rise of one of them spikey babes just within my reach (where's that rod with the rapala on? :wallbash: ) Find the fish.... :nerd:

Just as an aside, I put loads of hours in fishing for pike when I was a wee lad. Always seemed you'd get a take when you were reeling in = moving bait....but still had takes from still baits...just a thought.

:huh:

Is it 3.25am! :sun:

Malibu 2

Starvin, got a lure for you for the pike meet - in fact I've bought one for Nifty too, and Mr. Hurst - one more for the first person to collect it because I can't remember who else is going!

Talking of lures - what has happened to Hungry Fisherman, haven't heard whether he caught anything on the lure I gave him in June....come on, spill the beans.

Found some FANTASTIC pike and bass lures - only bought one of each because they cost a fortune. BUT, they are just superb. The shadrap that I caught my good fish on the other week - well , better than them. The next generation, JOINTED, suspending version. Also some really deep divers and some cracking sandeel lookalikes for the bass. Just got to hide the Credit Card bill from the Crocodile!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Nice one Simon, look forward to giving it a try, just been making up some lure traces, thought I'd practice with them before stabbing myself with trebles, bought some proper crimping pliers, so much easier.

Got to get back to some tying, only tied 3 patterns so far and they need finishing... so much to do, so little time.

How was the fly fair, hopefully you and Oz were kept busy.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Found some FANTASTIC pike and bass lures - only bought one of each because they cost a fortune. BUT, they are just superb. The shadrap that I caught my good fish on the other week - well , better than them. The next generation, JOINTED, suspending version. Also some really deep divers and some cracking sandeel lookalikes for the bass. Just got to hide the Credit Card bill from the Crocodile!

Lets hope they catch the pike as well as they caught you.....

Humble pie - bought a Goldfish Super Shad Rap on Saturday.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Why? What's wrong with that Red Head......?

Just bought one today(redhead) can't wait to try it out at the meet :clap2:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Why? What's wrong with that Red Head......?

Nothing at all. All redheads were off the menu last week though. Bought a Gold SSR to stick out one side and Redhead SSR will go out the other side for next time I go out - I've seen the goldy work very well!

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

I'm OK, I have another one - and a nice new gold JOINTED shad Rap.....it is the biz!

Surely a certain taker of fish!

It caught me!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo