Why I just love my American friends.

Huge_Vitae

Background story is a lad from SC, he met and married the Daughter of an old school friend whilst he and my friend were serving at a USAF base in Suffolk, I have enjoyed our chats over the years and we kept in touch when they went to serve in Italy and Turkey, he has now left the USAF and returned to SC taking, obviously, his wife and the in laws with him. They have a five and three year old now.

We chat on Skype, a little while ago he asked me why his wife had given him the nickname "Knob" explaining she says things like "what have you done that like that for Knob!"

Last thanksgiving I was chatting to him about my youngest Son's forthcoming wedding in Cyprus, "Cyprus" he says "Where is that?" "By Turkey" his wife shouted out, back he shouts, "You damn well know I bought the turkey, it's in the cooler!"

So I get a knock on the door one day, two young American backpackers who have walked down the lane to my house and were asking if was Osbourne House!

Now he has been to the Island visiting his wife's grandparents who lived near me before they passed away but when I told him about the visit he says "WOW! I never realised you lived near Ozzy!"

Love him to bits, but I think it's best if I leave him puzzled as to why his wife refers to him as a hill!

• Like 1

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

The language barrier is a wonderful thing.

Mormons in the Black Country are a sight to behold.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Huge_Vitae,

More Americans can identify Elvis than can identify the president. Far to many mimic Homer Simpson.

It's not that you should "leave" him puzzled - it's not likely you could educate him in a lifetime

Phone

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hear a lot about people who say 'I don't like Americans' and i say have you been there and most say no. The perception is they have loads of money don’t give a crap about the world and then i say have you ever met one and most say no, one guy said i never met Hitler but i don't like him

It beggars belief on how one-dimensional some people can be over here

It may have gone back as far as when Britain gave America independence i guess :rolleyes:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I have no problems with any foreigner if theyre in their own country ,goodness knows why they come to see all the litter in this one?

If they have lots of money why do a great number live in sheds that blow away or caravans? ,i presume every last cent gets spent on tooth paint and fake tans

As for liking its double edged ,most of the bad guys in films are those nasty brits and were all buck toothed cockneys

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It has been explained to you many times, by many different posters why wooden houses are safer in a tornado than a house built from bricks and mortar.

Perhaps Phone or Newt can explain why one of the wealthiest nation in the western world still has a sizeable chunk of it's population lstill live in mobile homes. One of the reasons is that the good old US of A would rather spend money on arms than it's people.

Why is it that you don't like being stereo-yped but you are quite content to stereotype others?

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I met up with a Guy from Nebraska in the the Florida Keys, we met on an interweb site both searching for advise on Fishing guides.

We arranged and booked a trip and had the most amazing days fishing ever, my ribs ached for days after from the laughter.

We remained in touch.

A few Easters ago he sent me an email, said the whole family had gathered and after lunch went out into the forest Morel hunting.

Now Nebraska being in the Bible belt, i did not want to respond and appear rude so replied and asked.....

Morel hunting ? Do you need a rifle ?

He found my email so hilarious he read it out to his class (History teacher) and apparently they cracked up laughing.

Then it dawned on me they had gone mushroom gathering.....DOH !

1509tarpon_75_.gif

It has been explained to you many times, by many different posters why wooden houses are safer in a tornado than a house built from bricks and mortar.

Perhaps Phone or Newt can explain why one of the wealthiest nation in the western world still has a sizeable chunk of it's population lstill live in mobile homes. One of the reasons is that the good old US of A would rather spend money on arms than it's people.

Why is it that you don't like being stereo-yped but you are quite content to stereotype others?

So a spiked bit of wood 8ft long is safer than a 10 ton bit of concrete in a gale ,if so why is the only thing left is the concrete base they build their sheds on after the even ,poured concrete will last who mentioned bricks?

As for stereotyping i made an observation not a judgement they can stand on the roof of their sheds and shout stereotypes at the top of their voices but i wont hear them.

Always a good excuse for family guy though

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson