Removal of worms, crabs and Small fish for bait to be banned?

Concerned at proposals to develop the Recreational Sea Fishery, and the effects that this will have on marine environment and fish stocks within the district, a member of Kent & Essex Sea Fisheries Committee (a commercial fisherman) has written to the committee suggesting that Byelaws be created to ban the removal of:

1 All worms

2 Crab and Crustaceans (describing placing hooks in living creatures for sport as 'barbaric')

3 Undersized fish to be used as live-bait.

The letter will be considered by the committee at the next statutory meeting on 20th November at the Thurrock HotelAvely, Purfleet, Essex (Just off the M25 on the Essex side of the Dartford Crossing).

There is usually a 'public gallery' where members of the public can listen in to the committee's deliberations, and are sometimes allowed to speak on a particular issue.

(There is just one angling rep on this committee! - me)

Should the proposals go forward, then it is possible that other SFCs will follow suit.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I suggest Leon that as an unelected representative you should not be responding to such proposals.

I would further suggest that until you have the full backing of all anglers within the K&E SFC area that you decline to make any comment, further to this it is your responsibility as unelected RSA representative to ensure that all anglers within the K&E area are aware of the proposal and that they have an opportunity to speak to you personally, this is because without a majority position you are representing, as an angler, your own personal opinions, which may not be the majority view of the possible 100k anglers in the SE. I would expect you to make representation to all anglers through the local press, radio & television, sea angling clubs, tackle shops and where anglers are not members of any of these outlets use the local telephone directory. This should be completed by next Wednesday to enable all the anglers to put forward their views, this then allows you 2 days to assimilate all the points and then send them out to every one for final agreement, you can then as an unelected RSA representative put forward the majority view on the meeting of the 20th November. Unless you have done this I, as a reasonable angler, can see no justification for any response on behalf of recreational sea anglers.

Oh and by the way what right have you to suggest such a proposal?

Concerned at proposals to develop the Recreational Sea Fishery, and the effects that this will have on marine environment and fish stocks within the district, a member of Kent & Essex Sea Fisheries Committee (a commercial fisherman) has written to the committee suggesting that Byelaws be created to ban the removal of:

1 All worms

2 Crab and Crustaceans (describing placing hooks in living creatures for sport as 'barbaric')

3 Undersized fish to be used as live-bait.

The letter will be considered by the committee at the next statutory meeting on 20th November at the Thurrock HotelAvely, Purfleet, Essex (Just off the M25 on the Essex side of the Dartford Crossing).

There is usually a 'public gallery' where members of the public can listen in to the committee's deliberations, and are sometimes allowed to speak on a particular issue.

(There is just one angling rep on this committee! - me)

Should the proposals go forward, then it is possible that other SFCs will follow suit.

I see the gloves are off then. In these proposals, how do they suggest this will be policed. I for one would'nt take the least bit of notice even if this pie-in-the-sky proposal got passed.

A few of the smaller commercial guys round our way make extra cash by dragging for ragworms, can't see them taking too kindly to it if they suggest such a ridiculous proposal down here.

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

I see the gloves are off then. In these proposals, how do they suggest this will be policed. I for one would'nt take the least bit of notice even if this pie-in-the-sky proposal got passed.

Having seen who wrote the letter all is becoming clear, it was the same guy who proposed a cull on 6" bass because there were too many of them and they were eating everything, in his opinion!!!!!!!!!!!

A few of the smaller commercial guys round our way make extra cash by dragging for ragworms, can't see them taking too kindly to it if they suggest such a ridiculous proposal down here.

Scott

Same with some of the Thames Shrimpers who target peelers during the summer and sell to the tackle shops, quite a lucrative sideline, even if only for a short period of time.

It would only need one or two people to be hit with hefty fines, and most would give up digging their own.

Buying in bait collected outside the district and paying premium prices.

Those few who continued to chance it, would feel very uncomforatbale digging bait, or collecting crabs out on the foreshore, where the world could see what they are up to.

To my mind that would take a lot of the pleasure out of that phase of planning a fishing trip :(

There are bait digging bans and restrictions in place around the country that seem to work well enough, even though a few chancers get away with it for a while.

But is there really a need for such a ban throughout the Kent & Essex district?

If no one bothers to challenge, then it could easily be so, necessary or not!

Another blow for those who make their living collecting bait, and the livelihoods of those who work in the shops that sell it, and the charter skippers too.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Having seen who wrote the letter all is becoming clear

And he's bigger than me!

Hmmm! I think I'll take your advice as given above and keep out of it (as an angler, I have a personal interest in the matter and therefore perhaps I shouldn't take part in any debate or vote on the issue).

In any case I mostly fish lures! :)

RNLI Shoreline Member