My Ugly Fish is now on eBay for auction

Newt

I didn't make it - don't have the talent. However, I did sit for the potter as her model.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hey newt is it just ceramics you are interested in? as i have a few old metal items i have found over here with my metal detector over the years from roman times to the present like coins/buckles/brooches/pendants/etc, allsorts, i have picked up thousands of bits of broken pottery sherds but never a full and complete item unfortunately, all interesting stuff, it is just another one of many hobbies i have, now if i could just only find a way of affording early retirement :idea: cheers...............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope - not just ceramics. I'll sell most anything that is legal and offers a chance at a decent profit. We just happen to live in a good area for sourcing the cooked clay things.

One thing I really envy you for is the chance to find really old artifacts with a metal detector.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Nope - not just ceramics. I'll sell most anything that is legal and offers a chance at a decent profit. We just happen to live in a good area for sourcing the cooked clay things.

One thing I really envy you for is the chance to find really old artifacts with a metal detector.

Yeh some hobbies are still worth the effort over here newt, do you have a detector? i know its a big hobby over their as well, some guys find some good stuff on the old civil war sites and ofcourse there is still some good gold nuggets to be found as well..............

Yeh some hobbies are still worth the effort over here newt, do you have a detector? i know its a big hobby over their as well, some guys find some good stuff on the old civil war sites and ofcourse there is still some good gold nuggets to be found as well..............

Been reading this with interest, I have a detector,, but I'm a bit anxious about going out on my own with the headphones etc on......I actually have a bit of land (belongs to a mate), about 8 acres, which hasnt been touched, by building or farming for almost 100 years. AND its next to an 18c Jacobean battle site !!!! But, again, just a wee bit anxious... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Guest Ferret1959
Been reading this with interest, I have a detector,, but I'm a bit anxious about going out on my own with the headphones etc on......I actually have a bit of land (belongs to a mate), about 8 acres, which hasnt been touched, by building or farming for almost 100 years. AND its next to an 18c Jacobean battle site !!!! But, again, just a wee bit anxious... :D:D

You are best on ploughed fields.

Stuff gets turned up to the top and makes life much easier for you.;)

You are best on ploughed fields.

Stuff gets turned up to the top and makes life much easier for you.;)

I half agree with ferret, most of the few sites i go on are ploughed but with todays modern detectors being so powerful you can still find some large coin sized objects at some incredable depths well over a foot or so quite easily, norries mates field could still produce some good finds due to other factors that are commonly overlooked like soil movement made by animals for example, moles rabbits badgers etc, these can and often bring very deep objects within range of any kind of metal detector from these animals, another thing to consider is that most fields in the uk where ploughed at least once in the last 60 years due to ww2 for corn and the war effort maybe norries mates escaped this? though it would be doubtful.

Get out their norrie it is kinda like fishing you never know what may turn up? though as things in my area are now!! i would rate my chances better of finding king johns treasure more highly then catching a cod off of my local beach :( cheers.......

ps. here is a pic of one of my best finds from over the years, cica 1500 ad medieval gold and uncut diamond ring.

post-5653-1163767628_thumb.jpgpost-5653-1163767628_thumb.jpg

Edited by stavey

Nice ring, Stavey (ooerr!).

I have a friend who owns thousands of acres, much of which is farmed, and he has a collection of stuff he's found over the years. That's just by spotting them when ploughing - Lord only knows what a metal detector would find!!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Nice ring, Stavey (ooerr!).

I have a friend who owns thousands of acres, much of which is farmed, and he has a collection of stuff he's found over the years. That's just by spotting them when ploughing - Lord only knows what a metal detector would find!!

Hi elton, yes it was a nice item, the british museum had it for two years (part of treasure declaration act) they already had a couple very similar from the same period so they let us have it back, it went to sotherby's and fetched £4500.00 which was split between the landowner and myself i did offer it to local museums but they said they could not afford it shame realy, it went to newtland as far as i recal and is probably worth fourtimes the amount now? elton by all means if your friend would like a free detector survey pass him my details, what county is he in?????????

another thing to consider is that most fields in the uk where ploughed at least once in the last 60 years due to ww2 for corn and the war effort maybe norries mates escaped this? though it would be doubtful.

ps. here is a pic of one of my best finds from over the years, cica 1500 ad medieval gold and uncut diamond ring.

post-5653-1163767628_thumb.jpgpost-5653-1163767628_thumb.jpg

Hi Stavey/Elton/Ferret...Geez , what a find !!!!!! Amazing ......

This field is about 8 acres, and right next dor to his own property...it belonged to an old man who died very recently. he was 85, and was born in the wooden house on the land. its being rented out at the moment. BUT, soon their will be a new bungalow going on it, so ,I have to get my finger out, and get over there.

According to Hughie ( the old man), the land had never been worked, in his then 80 years... its not great land, and is only a few feet of peaty earth, on top of Gravel...there are actually old gravel quarries all over the area....

I have been talking with a member of Falkirk Detector Club, actually bought a 4 lb cannon ball off him, he discovered it on the site of the 2nd Battle of falkirk....and he said, if i wanted, he would go with me, and show me how to do detecting...think i will take him up on it now. Specially with the new house build early next year !!!!

Mark, the owner ,agrees ,and we have decided on a 50/50 basis.....how much do you get for old beer cans !!????? :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi Stavey/Elton/Ferret...Geez , what a find !!!!!! Amazing ......

This field is about 8 acres, and right next dor to his own property...it belonged to an old man who died very recently. he was 85, and was born in the wooden house on the land. its being rented out at the moment. BUT, soon their will be a new bungalow going on it, so ,I have to get my finger out, and get over there.

According to Hughie ( the old man), the land had never been worked, in his then 80 years... its not great land, and is only a few feet of peaty earth, on top of Gravel...there are actually old gravel quarries all over the area....

I have been talking with a member of Falkirk Detector Club, actually bought a 4 lb cannon ball off him, he discovered it on the site of the 2nd Battle of falkirk....and he said, if i wanted, he would go with me, and show me how to do detecting...think i will take him up on it now. Specially with the new house build early next year !!!!

Mark, the owner ,agrees ,and we have decided on a 50/50 basis.....how much do you get for old beer cans !!????? :D:D

Excellent norrie, but i must warn! you once you start finding interesting bits you will be just as hooked on this hobby as you have been on fishing, good luck and let me know how you get on.

ps. i done a quick google search and came up with this article on this interesting site, who knows you may find a more and rare significant ring then i did, maybe bonny prince charlie lost he's on that same field he was obviously in the area ;) cheers....

http://www.britishbattles.com/battle_of_falkirk.htm